• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:108:129]Colorado baker back in court after refusing to make cake celebrating gender transition

truthatallcost

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
DENVER- A Colorado baker who had previously refused to make a wedding cake for a gay couple has landed back in court after refusing to bake a cake celebrating a gender transition.

Attorneys for a Colorado baker who refused to make a wedding cake for a gay couple on religious grounds - a stand partially upheld by the U.S. Supreme Court - argued in federal court Tuesday that the state is punishing him again over his refusal to bake a cake celebrating a gender transition.

Lawyers for Jack Phillips, owner of Masterpiece Cakeshop in suburban Denver, are suing to try to stop the state from taking action against him over the new discrimination allegation. They say the state is treating Phillips with hostility because of his Christian faith and pressing a complaint that they call an "obvious setup."

The Colorado Civil Rights Commission said Phillips discriminated against Denver attorney Autumn Scardina because she's transgender. Phillips' shop refused to make a cake last year that was blue on the outside and pink on the inside after Scardina revealed she wanted it to celebrate her transition from male to female.

She asked for the cake on the same day the U.S. Supreme Court announced it would consider Phillips' appeal of the previous commission ruling against him. In that 2012 case, he refused to make a wedding cake for same-sex couple Charlie Craig and Dave Mullins.

https://abc7chicago.com/amp/society...transition/4930768/?__twitter_impression=true

Autumn Scardina just so happens to be a lawyer, as well as transgender. Her online attorney profile reads, "After a decade of successfully representing large corporations and governmental entities as a trial attorney, she opened Scardina Family Law".

When will these scam artists leave the poor baker alone? Just let him run his bakery. Every quack looking for a quick buck is going to hunt out his cake shop now to order a cake celebrating their mental illness, in order to sue him. Just stop already.

Re: Colorado baker back in court after refusing to make cake celebrating gender transition

Maybe if he just put up a sign warning everyone, he'd have a stronger defense for being a homophobic bigot: "Only White, Christian, Heterosexuals Will Be Served."

That ought to do it! :lol:

Re: Colorado baker back in court after refusing to make cake celebrating gender transition

Autumn Scardina just so happens to be a lawyer, as well as transgender. Her online attorney profile reads, "After a decade of successfully representing large corporations and governmental entities as a trial attorney, she opened Scardina Family Law".

When will these scam artists leave the poor baker alone? Just let him run his bakery. Every quack looking for a quick buck is going to hunt out his cake shop now to order a cake celebrating their mental illness, in order to sue him. Just stop already.

I think I agree. Why bother torment this guy? Someday soon, he’ll discover that a close friend is gay or a kid or other relative is gay. He’ll then come around and eventually march in gay pride parade. A mischevious God has a way of confounding us.

Maybe if he just put up a sign warning everyone, he'd have a stronger defense for being a homophobic bigot: "Only White, Christian, Heterosexuals Will Be Served."

At least the lawsuit stemming from a same sex marriage made some sense, as it follows previous lawsuits. But ordering a cake to celebrate gender transition is a new one. It sounds like someone is capitalizing on the bullying conducted during the last several years to force acceptance of the demands of trans people.

I think I agree. Why bother torment this guy? Someday soon, he’ll discover that a close friend is gay or a kid or other relative is gay. He’ll then come around and eventually march in gay pride parade. A mischevious God has a way of confounding us.

We all know that the best way to gain acceptance of lgbt folks is by bullying everyone else with lawsuits and aggressive acts.

I would think that the White House chefs should refuse to serve Trump, because he is an unrepentant adulterer.

I wonder if this bigot would object to baking a cake for lifelong republican and anti-gay marriage Caitlyn Jenner?

Well Caitlyn believes in the same homophobic crap that he does.

And this thing seriously asked LGBTQI people to respect and accept his decision to be a woman with a penis. Typical trump supporter.

I wonder if this bigot would object to baking a cake for lifelong republican and anti-gay marriage Caitlyn Jenner?

And this thing seriously asked LGBTQI people to respect and accept his decision to be a woman with a penis. Typical trump supporter.

Calling a human being a thing because you disagree with theur politics. Sounds like something a nazi would do.

OMG, why are people so obsessed with getting their cakes made by this bigot?! Just leave him alone and go give your money to someone who doesn’t hate your lifestyle. Our courts are spending way too much time on freaking cakes. Are there no other bakers in Denver? What gives?

That sounds more than a bit bigoted. Should you be posting your own signs perhaps?

OMG, why are people so obsessed with getting their cakes made by this bigot?! Just leave him alone and go give your money to someone who doesn’t hate your lifestyle. Our courts are spending way too much time on freaking cakes. Are there no other bakers in Denver? What gives?
Can you define bigot and what makes the baker, in your limited opinion, a bigot?

Such hatred being spewed, cannot you control your own spigot? And let me guess, you don't think you are bigoted against Trump supporters, do ya?
:lamo:lamo:lamo:lamo:lamo

Can you define bigot and what makes the baker, in your limited opinion, a bigot?

Sure, I consider a lot of things bigotry. One of those are people who disapprove of gay marriage. If you don’t think gays should be entitled to the same rights as the rest of us I consider that one kind of bigotry. The fact that a person’s bigotry is supported by their religion doesn’t matter to me.

But I believe private business owners should have the right to discriminate for whatever bigoted reason they want. So I am actually on the baker’s side on this.

I would think that the White House chefs should refuse to serve Trump, because he is an unrepentant adulterer.
Difference is Trump wouldn't sue them, just fire the numbskulls, find somebody better.

Yano?

Sure, I consider a lot of things bigotry. One of those are people who disapprove of gay marriage. If you don’t think gays should be entitled to the same rights as the rest of us I consider that one kind of bigotry. The fact that a person’s bigotry is supported by their religion doesn’t matter to me.

But I believe private business owners should have the right to discriminate for whatever bigoted reason they want. So I am actually on the baker’s side on this.
I appreciate your honest answer. So, if you were me looking at your views... you would say I could call you equally a bigot, correct? So are you a bigot, or not?

At least we agree on that latter statement.

I appreciate your honest answer. So, if you were me looking at your views... you would say I could call you equally a bigot, correct? So are you a bigot, or not?

At least we agree on that latter statement.

You and the baker may consider my stance toward your religious views on the subject as bigoted. I wouldn’t argue the point because in the end I think it is all relative. We have different world views. That’s ok.

This is fantastic. I need to pull up the threads about the original case and gloat unceremoniously over all those people who wrongly thought that the baker "won" his religious expression argument. He was a bigot who broke the law then. He's a bigot who broke the law now. As long as the Civil Rights Commission didn't violate his rights again, the baker will rightfully burn in court.

At least the lawsuit stemming from a same sex marriage made some sense, as it follows previous lawsuits. But ordering a cake to celebrate gender transition is a new one. It sounds like someone is capitalizing on the bullying conducted during the last several years to force acceptance of the demands of trans people.

"Force acceptance"? They are human beings and Americans who have all the same rights as you and I have. Yes, their acceptance is forced as it should be.

We all know that the best way to gain acceptance of lgbt folks is by bullying everyone else with lawsuits and aggressive acts.

I think what you mean to say is that the LGBTQ community has been forced to assert its human and civil rights in court because terrible people deny them their rights otherwise. Which "aggressive acts" did you mean? The lawsuits that they have a right and standing to bring in duly authorized courts?

I am on the exact same page as you are....

"Force acceptance"? They are human beings and Americans who have all the same rights as you and I have. Yes, their acceptance is forced as it should be.

Why should anyone be forced to create something they do not want to create, MateoMtnClimber?

I can't believe this has to be said in the US in 2018, but when we allow one person to deny goods and services to a group of people based on personal characteristics that they cannot change, then we allow all people to do the same. That's how a mere sixty years ago, there were entire towns, cities, and counties where a black person couldn't rent a hotel room, buy a meal, fill a gasoline tank, or buy a cake.

Why should anyone be forced to create something they do not want to create, MateoMtnClimber?

That is the foundation of public accommodation case law. The baker opted into limitations on rights that he has when he does not operate in the public and quasi-public realms. He can have an unclean kitchen at home. He cannot have an unclean kitchen that supplies food to the public. He can refuse to serve a gay person in his house. He cannot refuse to serve a gay person in a place of business that is subject to public accommodation laws that he volunteered to obey.

I think what you mean to say is that the LGBTQ community has been forced to assert its human and civil rights in court because terrible people deny them their rights otherwise.

Nonsense. In case you haven't noticed, there's a world outside of the country where you live. And the situation for LGBT is so hazardous in most parts of the world, that thousands of LGBT folks have to flee for their lives to Europe and the USA. Persecution based on sexual identity qualifies for asylum, and thousands have reached safety here in the USA.

Now, tell all your boo hoos about not getting a cake from the bad Christian man.

Which "aggressive acts" did you mean? The lawsuits that they have a right and standing to bring in duly authorized courts?

There have been many aggressive acts committed by the overly zealous (perhaps mentally ill) members of the LGBT community, from hundreds of faked hate crimes, to the seizure of Christian churches, to a transgender person physically attacking Ben Shapiro on television. The worst act is what's currently being done to children, which is the basis of a thread I'm planning on creating when have more time.

That is the foundation of public accommodation case law. The baker opted into limitations on rights that he has when he does not operate in the public and quasi-public realms. He can have an unclean kitchen at home. He cannot have an unclean kitchen that supplies food to the public. He can refuse to serve a gay person in his house. He cannot refuse to serve a gay person in a place of business that is subject to public accommodation laws that he volunteered to obey.

First off this is a legal fiction meant to justify slavery in violation of the 13th amendment, second off he has not refused to serve gay people, merely serve events honoring homosexuality and “gender transition” which isn’t a thing.

These people could easily get service.

Back
Top Bottom