• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:103]The Christian Religion and Homosexuality

Logician Man

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Christians: If your religion didn't teach that homosexuality is a sin, would you personally still have a problem with homosexuality between consenting adults ? If Yes, Why ?

Re: The Christian Religion and Homosexuality

Specifically, homosexuality is a sin that the Bible commands should be punished by death.

It's not like you merely coveted your neighbor's wife....or oxen.

I couldn't find anything in the biblical narratives where Jesus - you know, the religion's namesake - preached anything about homosexuality; whether for or against.

OM

I couldn't find anything in the biblical narratives where Jesus - you know, the religion's namesake - preached anything about homosexuality; whether for or against.

OM

Jehovah is the divine origin of marriage...Genesis 2:21-23...Jesus recognized that fact...Matthew 19:4-6...

Jehovah is the divine origin of marriage...Genesis 2:21-23...Jesus recognized that fact...Matthew 19:4-6...

Homosexuality was the topic, not religious marriage ceremonies.

OM

Homosexuality was the topic, not religious marriage ceremonies.

OM

Well, it wasn't Adam and Steve God united...:roll:

In the story it seems like Eve was an afterthought. It wasn't like God put them both there from the get-go.

In the story it seems like Eve was an afterthought. It wasn't like God put them both there from the get-go.

Afterthought or not, if it hadda been Steve, we wouldn't be here...:2razz:

Nor was I referring to an oral tradition that had been reduced to writing, and whose academic consensus is that it is mythical.

OM

Nor was I referring to an oral tradition that had been reduced to writing, and whose academic consensus is that it is mythical.

OM

Um, you're the one who mentioned Jesus 1st, not I...:roll:

Jesus evidently believed the account of the 1st marriage...

The story of course, borrowed from ancient Sumerian legends of gods creating man out of spit and mud.

OM

Um, you're the one who mentioned Jesus 1st, not I...:roll:

Jesus evidently believed the account of the 1st marriage...

Yes, I addressed Jesus and homosexuality; not Jesus and the basis of religious marriage ceremonies.

OM

Yes, I addressed Jesus and homosexuality; not Jesus and the basis of religious marriage ceremonies.

OM

And I addressed your comment that Jesus made no mention of hmosexuality...he did by stating what he believed to be true...marriage, in God's eyes, is between one man and one woman...nothing else did he mention...

Christians: If your religion didn't teach that homosexuality is a sin, would you personally still have a problem with homosexuality between consenting adults ? If Yes, Why ?

This is hard question to answer, belonging to a church that welcomes gay members, performs gay marriages, and ordains gay pastors. (Lutheran Church) Not to mention attending with my gay father. I think you might need to be a little more specific with who you are asking. :)

Possibly. I mean there's even atheists that have an issue with homosexuality and gay marriage, as stupid as that might sound (and trust me, they are very stupid). But then again, not all Christians have a problem with homosexuality or gay marriage for that matter.

...and speaking of which... if homosexuality is this cornerstone aberration, why oh why didn't God see fit to include it in the 10 Commandments? I mean heck, desiring your neighbor's wife is considered a worse offense.

OM

And I addressed your comment that Jesus made no mention of hmosexuality...he did by stating what he believed to be true...marriage, in God's eyes, is between one man and one woman...nothing else did he mention...

Jesus made no mention of homosexuality.

OM

This is hard question to answer, belonging to a church that welcomes gay members, performs gay marriages, and ordains gay pastors. (Lutheran Church) Not to mention attending with my gay father. I think you might need to be a little more specific with who you are asking. :)

Precisely this... Logician Man is making a compositional error fallacy here (specifically bigotry in this case, since it involves people as the class). He is inferring that something is true of the whole from the fact that it is true of some part of the whole.

In actuality, Christians do not agree with each other regarding the issue of homosexuality. Even a more specific brand of Christianity (Lutheranism) does not agree on this issue.

Nate and I are both self proclaimed Christians (and Lutherans). Let's just say that Nate and I would give you two completely different answers regarding this question... ;)

I guess you didn't actually read the bible. Jesus told his followers it is better NOT to marry. Please read the bible before you tell us what is in it.

Precisely this... Logician Man is making a compositional error fallacy here (specifically bigotry in this case, since it involves people as the class). He is inferring that something is true of the whole from the fact that it is true of some part of the whole.

In actuality, Christians do not agree with each other regarding the issue of homosexuality. Even a more specific brand of Christianity (Lutheranism) does not agree on this issue.

Nate and I are both self proclaimed Christians (and Lutherans). Let's just say that Nate and I would give you two completely different answers regarding this question... ;)

haha...you Missouri Synod?

Jesus never mentioned homosexuality. But the Old Testament didn't either. The idea that homosexuality is a sin is just one of those nonsensical things that gets repeated until the gullible start believing it.

I guess you didn't actually read the bible. Jesus told his followers it is better NOT to marry. Please read the bible before you tell us what is in it.

lol...that was not Jesus...Paul said that...maybe you should read it more...;)

Jesus never mentioned homosexuality. But the Old Testament didn't either. The idea that homosexuality is a sin is just one of those nonsensical things that gets repeated until the gullible start believing it.

Really? lol...Genesis 19:5; Leviticus 18:22; Leviticus 20:13; Judges 19:22...

But the Old Testament didn't either.

I can think of 2 chapters in Leviticus that do, right off the top of my head. But in either case, Christianity's namesake didn't speak out against it, nor was it considered important enough to "set in stone" with 10 Commandments.

OM

Back
Top Bottom