• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:103]The Christian Religion and Homosexuality

Re: The Christian Religion and Homosexuality

I couldn't find anything in the biblical narratives where Jesus - you know, the religion's namesake - preached anything about homosexuality; whether for or against.

OM

If you are not the trinitarian variety of Christian, I suppose you can get away with that.

If you are not the trinitarian variety of Christian, I suppose you can get away with that.

Not even then...I am not a trinitarian but I still believe the son of God was in complete unison with the Father...no question about that...Jesus stated as much...

"My Father who has given to me is greatest of all things, and nobody can carry off out of the Father’s hands. I and the Father are one.” John 10:29,30

I can think of 2 chapters in Leviticus that do, right off the top of my head. But in either case, Christianity's namesake didn't speak out against it, nor was it considered important enough to "set in stone" with 10 Commandments.

OM

The Old Testament condemns orgies, which happen to include homosexual acts. But these orgies included heterosexual acts also. So you could say the bible condemns heterosexuality.

I couldn't find anything in the biblical narratives where Jesus - you know, the religion's namesake - preached anything about homosexuality; whether for or against.

OM

Seems he was preaching for homosexuality, remember the centurion and his slave boy? And let's not forget the near naked youth that followed him around just before he was arrested...

Jehovah is the divine origin of marriage...Genesis 2:21-23...Jesus recognized that fact...Matthew 19:4-6...

actually marriage was available for centuries and centuries before the catholic church started determining what marriage is.

Christians: If your religion didn't teach that homosexuality is a sin, would you personally still have a problem with homosexuality between consenting adults ? If Yes, Why ?

If we weren't 'taught' it's a sin, would it be? Beside that what are all these priest 'fondlers' doing with these young boys? Sex is sex, who you choose to be your partner is your business.

The Old Testament condemns orgies, which happen to include homosexual acts. But these orgies included heterosexual acts also. So you could say the bible condemns heterosexuality.

The bolded would be making a compositional error, same with vice versa, so it would be weak [and logically incorrect] argumentation for someone to take... The Bible condemns certain forms of heterosexuality, yes, but it allows for (and even promotes) other forms of heterosexuality.

While I find the practice of homosexuality to be condemned by The Bible [I could expand upon my reasoning (even beyond Biblical) if requested], one can't logically conclude that the condemnation of orgies is also the condemnation of homosexuality.

actually marriage was available for centuries and centuries before the catholic church started determining what marriage is.

Well, yeah...no mention of the CC in Genesis...don't know what your comment has to do with anything...

lol...that was not Jesus...Paul said that...maybe you should read it more...;)

Jesus said it's better not to marry, because divorce is a sin. At first Paul discouraged marriage for the early Christians, but that caused promiscuity, so he let them marry.

You better re-read.

Jesus said it's better not to marry, because divorce is a sin. At first Paul discouraged marriage for the early Christians, but that caused promiscuity, so he let them marry.

You better re-read.

And you don't know what you're talking about...as usual...SMH...

You better re-read.

What the...?

The bolded would be making a compositional error, same with vice versa, so it would be weak [and logically incorrect] argumentation for someone to take... The Bible condemns certain forms of heterosexuality, yes, but it allows for (and even promotes) other forms of heterosexuality.

While I find the practice of homosexuality to be condemned by The Bible [I could expand upon my reasoning (even beyond Biblical) if requested], one can't logically conclude that the condemnation of orgies is also the condemnation of homosexuality.

What I MEANT is that if you think the bible says homosexuality is a sin, then you should ALSO think the bible says heterosexuality is a sin.

That's how ridiculous it is.

What the...?

Most Christians never read the bible. Just learned a Sunday school version as a child. Jesus was not pro-family, at all. The early Christians lived in communes.

Most Christians never read the bible. Just learned a Sunday school version as a child. Jesus was not pro-family, at all. The early Christians lived in communes.

And many read the Bible but lack understanding...like you...

Afterthought or not, if it hadda been Steve, we wouldn't be here...:2razz:

I thought that nothing was impossible with god.

Precisely this... Logician Man is making a compositional error fallacy here (specifically bigotry in this case, since it involves people as the class). He is inferring that something is true of the whole from the fact that it is true of some part of the whole.

In actuality, Christians do not agree with each other regarding the issue of homosexuality. Even a more specific brand of Christianity (Lutheranism) does not agree on this issue.

Nate and I are both self proclaimed Christians (and Lutherans). Let's just say that Nate and I would give you two completely different answers regarding this question... ;)

You didn't address the question. Do you personally have a problem with homosexuality or not?

Well, yeah...no mention of the CC in Genesis...don't know what your comment has to do with anything...

because you claimed marriage has something to do with jehovah.

because you claimed marriage has something to do with jehovah.

It does...Jehovah instituted marriage by performing the very 1st one...the church had nothing to do with it...

It does...Jehovah instituted marriage by performing the very 1st one...the church had nothing to do with it...

except that is a christian answer, not an answer that means that much to most of the worlds population. Also, as it was a non-religiouis thingy, why should gays not be allowed to marry just like straight people can get married, I can see no logical reason for refusing them a marriage license.

haha...you Missouri Synod?

I 'was' a Lutheran Synod. Not by choice, and not for long, but Missouri Synod Lutheran nonetheless. That was 'after' being a Southern Baptist- Southern Methodist hybrid in younger years. Never really personally embraced any of three, but a kid has to do what a kid has to do. :)

except that is a christian answer, not an answer that means that much to most of the worlds population. Also, as it was a non-religiouis thingy, why should gays not be allowed to marry just like straight people can get married, I can see no logical reason for refusing them a marriage license.

This thread is regarding beliefs, not secular laws so your argument is moot...

Jesus was not pro family....

Chapter and verse?

There was no wedding recounted in the adam and eve myth.

There was no wedding recounted in the adam and eve myth.

Look again...Jehovah brought them together...Genesis 2:21-24...verse 24..."That is why a man will leave his father and his mother and he will stick to his wife, and they will become one flesh."

Back
Top Bottom