• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:#101]Climate Change Rapidly Intensified Hurricane Ian Before Landfall

All the readings I have found have the sustained winds below 80 mph, the high speeds look like estimates and gust speeds.
Had the sustained wind speed been 150 mph, there would be almost nothing left.
That could be possible if none of the recording stations you have found experienced the maximum sustained winds which do not occur uniformly, even around the eyewall.

That could be possible if none of the recording stations you have found experienced the maximum sustained winds which do not occur uniformly, even around the eyewall.
The redfish pass speed was an estimate, the measured sustained wind speed was 85 mph

The redfish pass speed was an estimate, the measured sustained wind speed was 85 mph
The structure of a hurricane is imperfect. The maximum winds are not uniform. There is no guarantee that the monitoring station at Redfish Pass would experience them. The monitoring unit at Redfish Pass is no longer functioning. Maybe the hurricane destroyed it and then the winds later got even stronger than recorded .

There are millions of people without power. Hundreds have been rescued. Buildings have been swept from their foundations. This was a killer storm. The death toll is still rising. I cannot agree that the NHC 'blew the forecast,' or that they 'overhyped the storm.' Despite the warnings: Many people decided to try to ride it out. Some of them are now dead.

There is absolutely nothing to support any claim that the NHC did not do the best job they could of forecasting this storm.

The structure of a hurricane is imperfect. The maximum winds are not uniform. There is no guarantee that the monitoring station at Redfish Pass would experience them. The monitoring unit at Redfish Pass is no longer functioning. Maybe the hurricane destroyed it and then the winds later got even stronger than recorded .

There are millions of people without power. Hundreds have been rescued. Buildings have been swept from their foundations. This was a killer storm. The death toll is still rising. I cannot agree that the NHC 'blew the forecast,' or that they 'overhyped the storm.' Despite the warnings: Many people decided to try to ride it out. Some of them are now dead.

There is absolutely nothing to support any claim that the NHC did not do the best job they could of forecasting this storm.
Again we are not talking about forecasts but measured wind speeds. Estimates are not the same as actual measurements!
Hurricanes even cat1 and cat2s are quite dangerous and destructive, I am not sure why they played this up so much.

Again we are not talking about forecasts but measured wind speeds. Estimates are not the same as actual measurements!
Hurricanes even cat1 and cat2s are quite dangerous and destructive, I am not sure why they played this up so much.

The forecast was not 'played up.' It is a huge disaster. The death toll is still rising. Hundreds who thought it wasn't going to be so bad tried to ride it out and had to be rescued. Some didn't make it. They are dead now.

The 150 mph wind speed at redfish pass was an estimate, not a measured speed, read your own source!
Oops, you mean 126. Did you forget what you were spinning in place about? Looks like ya did.

Nope, measured at a weather station.

The forecast was not 'played up.' It is a huge disaster. The death toll is still rising. Hundreds who thought it wasn't going to be so bad tried to ride it out and had to be rescued. Some didn't make it. They are dead now.
Saying it is a cat 4 or 5 when it is only a cat 1 or 2 is playing it up!
A Cat1 can be a huge disaster, and the actual 8.5 foot storm surge, was plenty bad for that topology and a lot of Mobil homes.

Which didn't happen. Your weird rant is going just as far as your climate science denial: nowhere.

Here is the report, estimated 145mph, measured sustained winds near by 85 mph!
1664576206563.png

Which didn't happen. Your weird rant is going just as far as your climate science denial: nowhere.
Show a report with a measured sustained wind speed over 90 mph?

So now your weird rant is that , when career scientists estimate wind speed, they are making a totally uneducated guess and throwing darts.

Just, bizarre.
Not at all! They are measuring the Doppler shift of flying raindrops, but that is not the same as the actual wind measurements near the surface.

No, someone with no education or experience in any related field did not outsmart the scientific community by stomping his feet on a message board.

Shocking, I know.

A Cat1 can be a huge disaster, and the actual 8.5 foot storm surge, was plenty bad for that topology and a lot of Mobil homes.
The NHC rated the storm as a Cat 4. It was no mistake. Widespread devastation has resulted. Lives lost.

No, someone with no education or experience in any related field did not outsmart the scientific community by stomping his feet on a message board.

Shocking, I know.
I am not sure why you are reacting that way, when I show you the actual measured wind speeds?

I am not sure why you are reacting that way, when I show you the actual measured wind speeds?
Because I showed you the same, from the same source. Because your posts are dishonest, cherry picked piles of shit.

Back
Top Bottom