• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:#101]Climate Change Rapidly Intensified Hurricane Ian Before Landfall

If that is the case it is a good thing.

And they call it a weather forecast, not a weather prediction.
There is a very real danger in hyping storms more than they are.
People who think, "Well my home made it through Ian with it's 155 mph winds, I should be fine!"
and then a real monster storm comes, they stay, and become storm statistics.

People who think, "Well my home made it through Ian with it's 155 mph winds, I should be fine!"
You assume they are too stupid to check on the wnd strength where they live. Can't fix stupid.

This doesn't look like a weakening storm. I mean, yeah, it's going to lose mass as it moves onto land, but it's no love tap so far.
The good news is that what came ashore was not the 155 mph 12 foot storm surge monster that were talking about.
Storms like that clean buildings off their slabs.

You assume they are too stupid to check on the wnd strength where they live. Can't fix stupid.
Again the danger of hyping the storm more than the actual storm, it breeds compliancy.

The good news is that what came ashore was not the 155 mph 12 foot storm surge monster that were talking about.
Storms like that clean buildings off their slabs.
147 mph winds at landfall. Eek.

Again the danger of hyping the storm more than the actual storm, it breeds compliancy.
You are accusing accurate measurements of being hype. You will have to peddle that to someone else, sorry.

P.S. this is not some hypothetical idea, I have seen it happen.
Hurricane Rita, was hyped to death, (literally, people died escaping), and while it was bad,
How Hurricane Rita anxiety led to the worst gridlock in Houston history
More than 100 evacuees died in the exodus.
When Ike came calling, a lot more people decided to stay, and stayed in places that put them in grave danger.
84 people died in Ike in Texas.

P.S. this is not some hypothetical idea, I have seen it happen.
Hurricane Rita, was hyped to death, (literally, people died escaping), and while it was bad,
How Hurricane Rita anxiety led to the worst gridlock in Houston history

When Ike came calling, a lot more people decided to stay, and stayed in places that put them in grave danger.
84 people died in Ike in Texas.
I was addressing your implications for Ian. And that is a human phenomenon we cannot control. It would be idiotic not to give accurate information.

So we are supposed to believe you that some reporting station recorded a 150 mph sustained wind speed.
Yet you seem unwilling to cite where you acquired the data.

So we are supposed to believe you that some reporting station recorded a 150 mph sustained wind speed.
Yet you seem unwilling to cite where you acquired the data.
That's the name of a broadcast network in Florida. If you spent 1/10 of the time googling and reading as you have pestering me, you would already have read it and come back here to cast irrational, baseless doubt on it.
These aren't the first posts I have read from you.

That's the name of a broadcast network in Florida. If you spent 1/10 of the time googling and reading as you have pestering me, you would already have read it and come back here to cast irrational, baseless doubt on it.
These aren't the first posts I have read from you.
You made the claim, support it ?

This doesn't look like a weakening storm. I mean, yeah, it's going to lose mass as it moves onto land, but it's no love tap so far.
Thanks for those links;

Ian’s windspeed at landfall tied it for the fifth-strongest hurricane to strike the U.S., along with several other storms. Among them was Hurricane Charley, which hit almost the same spot on Florida’s coast in August 2004, killing 10 people and inflicting $14 billion in damage.

Ian had strengthened rapidly overnight, prompting Fort Myers handyman Tom Hawver to abandon his plan to weather the hurricane at home and head across the state to Fort Lauderdale.

There is a very real danger in hyping storms more than they are.
and then a real monster storm comes, they stay, and become storm statistics.
True, but it's also not good to say one thing and then have a storm be worse than estimated.

Why should a threat to society have to be proven before anything should be done about it?

That makes no sense.

The wise thing to do is prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

Not assume the best and demand proof of the worst. That is a ridiculous position to take.

Not only is this true, but we all know what the OP is talking about has been repeatedly proven for decades. It is why hurricanes have become more frequent every year.

Look/ at the hurricane names. Because of how hurricanes and typhoons are named (in alphabetical order, alternating genders), we Ian was the ninth tropical storm in 2022. When was the last time there were less than nine tropical storms before October?

Last edited:
Not only is this true, but we all know what the OP is talking about has been repeatedly proven for decades. It is why hurricanes have become more frequent every year.

Look/ at the hurricane names. Because of how hurricanes and typhoons are named (in alphabetical order, alternating genders), we Ian was the ninth tropical storm in 2022. When was the last time there were nine tropical storms before October?
Almost every year!

Ha ha ha! The NHC seems to predict hurricane patterns better than any of the weather forecasters in the Caribbean.

I took my late dad down to Negril Jamaica summer 1979 hoping he’d invest in real estate. Along came two insurmountable obstacles: Hurricane David and General Election for Prime Minister between the Labor Party and People’s National Party. Apparently the General Election generates serious passion and violence.

When I asked our Host what he planned to do for the hurricane, he said “bunker down in my bungalow”, a nice hut on low lying cliffs along the Caribbean Sea. My dad bristled at me, said I asked the wrong question. He wanted to know if the Host ever bunkered down in previous hurricanes. Anyway, besides offending my Rasta friends with his Capitalist views, Dad found quick passage back to the airport and fled the Island.
An employee of mine was on vacation In Jamaica, Circa 1988 and it took him more than a week to get back. He had already been fired for job abandonment.
I took him back when I realized his story was legit and even a phone call was impossible.

I found one news story with actual recorded wind speeds
Weather.com
A River, Estuary, and Coastal Network station at Redfish Pass, Florida, recently reported sustained winds of 94 mph and a wind gust of 126 mph. Sustained winds have been reported as high as 92 mph in Cape Coral.
So far this is the highest sustained wind speed readings I have seen.

You’re being silly. They have the forecast based on the best evidence at the time, and they continually updated it based on the latest evidence. That’s how weather forecasting is done. How many days ago did they forecast the “category one”. You need to watch more TV news.

No joke? That is how weather forecasting is done?

It was along the lines of 24 hours and it was wind sheer and further north. Last night the forecast started to change. Hey, I did not take time stamped notes. What I do know is that they blew the forecast as they always do.

There is a very real danger in hyping storms more than they are. People who think, "Well my home made it through Ian with it's 155 mph winds, I should be fine!" and then a real monster storm comes, they stay, and become storm statistics.

Mom has been pestering me to watch news show whether reports. She acts like I am a bad person if I don't care about the hurricane's path and unpredictability .I told her no every time because Gainesville is two hours away from Tampa and closer to the Atlantic Ocean than Gulf of Mexico. It is not that I don't care about people losing electricity, but when the weather is beautiful with low humidity or we get a little rain with no wind, it makes no sense for everyone to go crazy as if we lived in Pinellas County. Why is Alachua County making a big deal about a hurricane that is moving in the opposite direction?

Back
Top Bottom