• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:10] Valuable secular lessons from the Bible

NWRatCon

Eco**Social Marketeer
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
I'm a Humanist and make no bones about that. Nonetheless, I believe (and always have) that there are valuable lessons about humanity contained in the Bible. Unfortunately, those are not necessarily the lessons frequently espoused. I'd be interested in a discussion about what some of those lessons others would promote/accept. For example, I firmly believe in "treating others as you wish to be treated"; "camels, needles and rich men", and such. What Bible lessons are relevant to humanity and not just proselytizing religious views?

I'm a Humanist and make no bones about that. Nonetheless, I believe (and always have) that there are valuable lessons about humanity contained in the Bible. Unfortunately, those are not necessarily the lessons frequently espoused. I'd be interested in a discussion about what some of those lessons others would promote/accept. For example, I firmly believe in "treating others as you wish to be treated"; "camels, needles and rich men", and such. What Bible lessons are relevant to humanity and not just proselytizing religious views?

anything good in the bible can be had through secular psychology, philosophy, spirituality

minus the cult aspects

treat others..... quote was said by buddha 1000 years earlier

anything good in the bible can be had through secular psychology, philosophy, spirituality

minus the cult aspects

How nice...except that is NOT what this thread is about...

How nice...except that is NOT what this thread is about...

thats the problem with debate websites. everything turns into a debate haha

maybe he should go to jesus dot com site

I think there are many but here are a few...

Advice on seeking a marriage mate, make sure you have core beliefs/values in common...2 Corinthians 6:14,15...

Choose your associations wisely...1 Corinthians 15:33...

Seek/make peace...Romans 12:18...

Consider the consequences of your actions before carrying them out...Galatians 6:7...

Yes. As the world becomes more secular, it’s good to remember not to throw out the baby with the bathwater. There is much wisdom to be gained from ancient writings, from the ancient Greeks and Romans to Judie-Christian scripture, Hinduism, Buddhism, Taoism, and Confucianism. Humanity has a rich wisdom heritage. We should not be like the teenager who thinks they always know more than their parents and grandparents.

But also like the teenager, it is important to always maintain a critical and open minded mindset and remember to think for ourselves.

minus the cult aspects

And by several other religious traditions. Much of the Bible is derivative of previous traditions, but it is still there. That's actually where I was going - universal goods. How to treat your slaves, for example, not so universal.

Moderator's Warning:
I'm just going to put this here to remind everyone of the additional rule set for Theology.
Rule Set
- Threads and posts that are critical of religion or its spiritual aspects in a broad fashion, or are focused on attacking non-belief, are not allowed.
- Skeptical posts/threads from a non-religious basis, or ones deemed overly antagonistic towards religious beliefs, will be considered “trolling”.
Everyone may consider themselves warned.

And if you impregnate your slave, you have to keep her.

shows the limits of the intellect

psychopaths have fully functioning intellects too but they cant seem to be good

Moderator's Warning:
I'm just going to put this here to remind everyone of the additional rule set for Theology.
Rule Set
- Threads and posts that are critical of religion or its spiritual aspects in a broad fashion, or are focused on attacking non-belief, are not allowed.
- Skeptical posts/threads from a non-religious basis, or ones deemed overly antagonistic towards religious beliefs, will be considered “trolling”.
Everyone may consider themselves warned.
A genuine question regarding this rule: does that apply to crticism of the text?

A genuine question regarding this rule: does that apply to crticism of the text?
It can if that criticism is given in an overly antagonistic way. There's nothing wrong with discussion, but in Theology it must remain respectful as well.

It can if that criticism is given in an overly antagonistic way. There's nothing wrong with discussion, but in Theology it must remain respectful as well.
I wish that rule were applied equally to the religionists as well, but enough about that...
Back to the topic!

I wish that rule were applied equally to the religionists as well, but enough about that...
Back to the topic!
Go to philosophy...

The number 1 - and only - lesson in the Bible is to obey God, and accept Christ as your Saviour.

Everything else are just history, explanations and details. Good works mean nothing if you don't have Christ.
If you have Christ in you - good deeds will follow.

Last edited:

Why does it have to be the Bible? Why the interest in it?
Surely, in this day and age....there are many secular books that mirror the same teachings in the Bible regarding relationships, charity, kindness etc.?

Back
Top Bottom