• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:10]Alabama police suggest black man killed by officer shouldn't have held his gun

Re: Alabama police suggest black man killed by officer shouldn't have held his gun

I have to laugh a bit, what 'they' teach (I taught) is the safety circle, if you knew many theys or done some of the training you'd know this... :roll:

Now the weapon is pointed FORWARD with muzzle down at approx. a 45* angle but this doesn't 'identify' you as a good guy. (FYI you keep it close to prevent an unseen bad guy being able to grab it as you move through congested areas. Not to show you are a good guy)

I didn;t said it would identify you as a good guy. I said that it would help in the police not shooting you outright without warning.

I'm going with the assumption that the CCW holder possess a CCW badge. From that, there are badge necklaces that police wear that the tuck in their shirt until they need it. It's rather easy to pull that out.

Ya know what ASS-u-ME-ing does right??? But it does show you lack much experience with actual CCW folks. While some like to imagine they are undercover cops among us, most just want self protection. Perhaps you should educate yourself before talking about such things... :peace

Ya know what ASS-u-ME-ing does right??? But it does show you lack much experience with actual CCW folks. While some like to imagine they are undercover cops among us, most just want self protection. Perhaps you should educate yourself before talking about such things... :peace

We were talking about CCW badges to begin with, right? So based on that conversation, I was explaining how one could use it. As I said before, CCW badges isn't for me, but I could see a use for them.

Re: Alabama police suggest black man killed by officer shouldn't have held his gun

I didn;t said it would identify you as a good guy. I said that it would help in the police not shooting you outright without warning.

Ummm I guess you don't know much about police training- the without warning thing...

You are trying to say it identifies you as a good guy, just like waving a badge around is supposed to be accepted as a sign, would a cop notice a badge unless it was held up like a torch, and how do you hold your weapon that way??? (oh I forgot in my earlier post the video you linked says the demographic of an active shooter doesn't exist- but it seems ignored by at least some in Law Enforcement)

But I'm gonna wait for all video to be shown. Exactly what the young man was doing has changed over time.... :peace

Couple things...this happened in Alabama.
Alabama does not require a ccw class.
This young man got his training in the military.
Is there anything that says he was pointing the gun out from his body or did he just have the gun?
It's sad and the young man's family will never get justice but this is the society we live in until we decide we want things to change.

It really doesn't take police training to train yourself to display your CCW badge when responding.

Police training (and I don't mean one class, I mean routine on the job drills,) in theory, is meant to kick in when your prefrontal cortex can no longer process an imminent threat and your lizard brain kicks in. It's a common misconception among CCW holders that academic knowledge of proper tactical response will be enough to allow them to do what in a normal situation they know they need to do to stop a threat. In reality, even a significant percentage of police officers drilled routinely forget to identify themselves as law enforcement when confronted with a true threat to their lives. To assume a civilian with a CCW class will have the wherewithal to remember the CCW badge tucked into their shirt when they see an active shooter is a stretch.

Ummm I guess you don't know much about police training- the without warning thing...

Actually, I do. In fact, I went through it.
You are trying to say it identifies you as a good guy, just like waving a badge around is supposed to be accepted as a sign, would a cop notice a badge unless it was held up like a torch, and how do you hold your weapon that way??? (oh I forgot in my earlier post the video you linked says the demographic of an active shooter doesn't exist- but it seems ignored by at least some in Law Enforcement)

The badge, in theory, is supposed to give the officer pause. As for can the officer see it, that depends on how you wear it. I'll post a video about how to wear an off duty badge later.
But I'm gonna wait for all video to be shown. Exactly what the young man was doing has changed over time.... :peace
Yes, at this point, it's mostly speculation.

Here's the video about badge placement.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lE2sSSJv1tU

Here's the video about badge placement.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lE2sSSJv1tU

You seem to be a person with strong opinions but no practical experience. One more time, concealed carry citizens don't wear 'dog tag' chains or brandish badges. Most are more concerned about tipping their concealed carry than waving a badge while attempting to engage. Undercovers use far more than a badge- they have color of the day and a running password.

IF you had a lick of experience you'd see just how difficult it is to play 'find the badge' than 'who can kill me' when the police rush to an active shooter. Most of the time dispatch warns police if an undercover is on the scene but who knows about a legally armed citizen??? Most experienced police chiefs worry about just what happened, police under tremendous pressure to rush quickly into a chaotic situation and in that split second see gun, civilian and engage.

But do go on with you tube 'tutorials' and opinion....

"I saw it on the internet, it HAS to be true!" :peace

You seem to be a person with strong opinions but no practical experience. One more time, concealed carry citizens don't wear 'dog tag' chains or brandish badges.

I never claimed that most do. The original question was how does a CCW holder identify himself to law enforcement in an active shooter event. Someone mentioned wearing T-shirts saying to the affect of being an armed citizen. Somewhere along that conversation, I stepped in saying that they sell CCW badges and gave a scenario on how they could be used. That's it. I've never promoted the idea beyond saying that it MAY help with clearing up misidentification.

Most are more concerned about tipping their concealed carry than waving a badge while attempting to engage. Undercovers use far more than a badge- they have color of the day and a running password.

IF you had a lick of experience you'd see just how difficult it is to play 'find the badge' than 'who can kill me' when the police rush to an active shooter. Most of the time dispatch warns police if an undercover is on the scene but who knows about a legally armed citizen??? Most experienced police chiefs worry about just what happened, police under tremendous pressure to rush quickly into a chaotic situation and in that split second see gun, civilian and engage.

Agreed.

But do go on with you tube 'tutorials' and opinion....

"I saw it on the internet, it HAS to be true!" :peace

Just an FYI. The last video was posted by a veteran cop. I only posted it to show how one could mitigate mistaken identity if they want to go the route of wearing a CCW badge.

The only advice that I gave was if you decide to hunt down the shooter, keep your gun either close to your chest or down by your side instead of pointed out until you run into the shooter or law enforcement. This way, you can mitigate being shot immediately on contact with LE. If your gun is close to your chest, by your side, or better yet not out of the holster but you have your hand on it, you don't immediately look like you're about to shoot someone. It gives you and LE time to process what's going on. Another benefit to this method is you have more control over your weapon and you don't have to worry as much about someone trying to take it.

Back
Top Bottom