• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

VP Cheney and the Media

trinettec

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
I find it so hilarious the reaction of the media to Cheney's hunting accident. They act as if it some big conspirecy that VP Cheney didn't immediately run into the street yelling "I shot someone". Did anyone think that maybe the 78 yr old and his family might like just a little privacy before the media feeding frenzy started?

trinettec said:
I find it so hilarious the reaction of the media to Cheney's hunting accident. They act as if it some big conspirecy that VP Cheney didn't immediately run into the street yelling "I shot someone". Did anyone think that maybe the 78 yr old and his family might like just a little privacy before the media feeding frenzy started?

Of course you do. You're a republican who cannot take criticism of the acts of the Vice President of the United States. I'm not sure you are aware of this, but we have an open government, and Cheney does not check his status as VP when he walks onto private property. Just FYI.

Aps,

You sound like a liberal reporter. Listening to the press corp WAS both funny...and pathetic! The reporters wanted to know why they were not immediately told. The obvious answer was that the priority was getting the person shot medical attention, stabilizing his condition and getting him to the hospital, and calling the local authorities. Press Corp Notification is NOT within the top 5 priorities after someone gets shot.

Also, the other questions that followed were just absolutely moronic:

"Is the President going to....
"Should the President have to....
"Will the President have to....
........STEP DOWN?"
:lol: Over an accident? :roll:

"Why hasn't the President been arrested?"
"Will the President be charged with a crime?"

No, it was an ACCIDENT! The local authorities/police chief had already made that determination, as anyone SANE would considering the circumstances and who are NOT rabid Bush/Cheyne haters!

One rabid Dem demanded that Cheyne had committed a felony because by definition:

"Any person - Cheyne IS a person...

Who intentionally discharges a firearm knowingly - He intentionally shot his gun....

at a person - he shot his friend...

is guilty of a felony! Cheyne is guilty!"

THIS is hilarious! These morons are trying to convict Cheyne of attempted murder because of a hunting accident in which EVERYONE , except the rabid, liberal Dems who were NOT there, say is ruled an accident!

This is just another example of the level of HATRED for Bush/cheyne and of how they are depserate to use ANYTHING as an excuse to remove one or both of them from office.

I'm just still waiting to see how Kerry, Dean, Hillary, and Pelosi are going to spin this into some crime or scandal that involves Bush and then demand more investigations and an Impeachment! :rofl

The shooting incident points out just how disfunctional this Bush whitehouse is. It shows the lack of communication in dealing with any crisis that might arise.

tumbleweed said:
The shooting incident points out just how disfunctional this Bush whitehouse is. It shows the lack of communication in dealing with any crisis that might arise.

It was a peronal outing not a national issue...and again, the media was not the top priority. Jeesh, you libs are grasping at any straw you can because there is no smoking gun/cigar like Lewinski was for Clinton. Its actually quite funny - its like watching a drowning man grasop at anything he can before he goes under for the last time (hopefully).

easyt65 said:
Aps,

You sound like a liberal reporter. Listening to the press corp WAS both funny...and pathetic! The reporters wanted to know why they were not immediately told. The obvious answer was that the priority was getting the person shot medical attention, stabilizing his condition and getting him to the hospital, and calling the local authorities. Press Corp Notification is NOT within the top 5 priorities after someone gets shot.

Also, the other questions that followed were just absolutely moronic:

"Is the President going to....
"Should the President have to....
"Will the President have to....
........STEP DOWN?"
:lol: Over an accident? :roll:

"Why hasn't the President been arrested?"
"Will the President be charged with a crime?"

No, it was an ACCIDENT! The local authorities/police chief had already made that determination, as anyone SANE would considering the circumstances and who are NOT rabid Bush/Cheyne haters!

One rabid Dem demanded that Cheyne had committed a felony because by definition:

"Any person - Cheyne IS a person...

Who intentionally discharges a firearm knowingly - He intentionally shot his gun....

at a person - he shot his friend...

is guilty of a felony! Cheyne is guilty!"

THIS is hilarious! These morons are trying to convict Cheyne of attempted murder because of a hunting accident in which EVERYONE , except the rabid, liberal Dems who were NOT there, say is ruled an accident!

This is just another example of the level of HATRED for Bush/cheyne and of how they are depserate to use ANYTHING as an excuse to remove one or both of them from office.

I'm just still waiting to see how Kerry, Dean, Hillary, and Pelosi are going to spin this into some crime or scandal that involves Bush and then demand more investigations and an Impeachment! :rofl

I agree that some questions, such as "will Cheney resign?", are ridiculous. Are you telling me that the same people who are treating the victim are the same ones who report the incident to the press? Yeah, I didn't think so. This lack of informing the public about this incident is apparently unprecedented. I see nothing wrong with the press trying to find out why this was the case. Pat Buchanan said he was surprised at the length of time it took for the story to be released, and he was defending the VP.

easyt65 said:
It was a peronal outing not a national issue...and again, the media was not the top priority. Jeesh, you libs are grasping at any straw you can because there is no smoking gun/cigar like Lewinski was for Clinton. Its actually quite funny - its like watching a drowning man grasop at anything he can before he goes under for the last time (hopefully).

I'm not a Liberal, and I don't see anything funny about the lack of communication. Try a different defense than than pointing at Clinton for the shortfalls of Bushs policys.

OMG - an accident - quick, call CNN.

NOT!

Get this man to a hospitol and make sure he is ok.
Damn the media.

Third Cheney shooting thread. I see a merge in the near future.

KCConservative said:
Third Cheney shooting thread. I see a merge in the near future.

We'll see, this one could spark off a new discussion.

A Rich Austin lawyer out slaying small birds - if you are gonna shoot somebody ?????

trinettec said:

Al gore stabs our country in the back in a conferance over seas by accussing us of rounding up arabs the media says nothing.http://www.debatepolitics.com/showthread.php?t=8224
Because old farts getting in a hunting accident is more newsworthy than former vice president betraying his country.

Mexico is trying to invade and the government is covering it up and the media says nothing.http://www.debatepolitics.com/showthread.php?t=8223
Old farts getting in a hunting accident is more newsworthy than mexican military invading our borders to smuggle drugs and borders gaurds being charged becasue they did thier job.

But holyshit old geezers get in a hunting accident and the media is wondering why Cheney did not say anything to them.The morons in the media reveal national secrets,why would Cheney want to reveal a old fogey hunting accident?Is it becasue the morons in the media will tell everyone and their mom what happened?

tumbleweed said:
I'm not a Liberal, and I don't see anything funny about the lack of communication. Try a different defense than than pointing at Clinton for the shortfalls of Bushs policys.

WHAT dramatic impact did the fact that Cheyne was involved in a hunting accident make in your life? Are you related to anyone involved? Did the accident cause you to miss some great appointment? Did it cause the stock market to fall or something, causing you lost revenue?

NO, it DIDN'T! This story amounted to a 'Huh? Oh, interesting..." as I flipped the channel on the TV. If it had been anyone in Hollywood or anyone NOT remotely connected to the GOP or Bush administration, it would be a page 4 or 5 story at best in the newspapers. Since it is VP Dick Cheyne, though, it is a story of vital National Interest that is deserving of his removal from office?! :rofl The fact, as I pointed out earlier, is that the Democrats are so desperate to regain power that they are grasping at any and every thing they can to make an issue out of on why to get rid of Bush and/or Cheyne....exactly like the 'drowning man' scenario!

Who needs to refer to Clinton when the Democrats are embarrasing themselves by saying their liberal media should have been the 1st people called instead of the paramedics and that Cheyne should be removed from office over this?!

easyt65 said:
WHAT dramatic impact did the fact that Cheyne was involved in a hunting accident make in your life? Are you related to anyone involved? Did the accident cause you to miss some great appointment? Did it cause the stock market to fall or something, causing you lost revenue?

NO, it DIDN'T! This story amounted to a 'Huh? Oh, interesting..." as I flipped the channel on the TV. If it had been anyone in Hollywood or anyone NOT remotely connected to the GOP or Bush administration, it would be a page 4 or 5 story at best in the newspapers. Since it is VP Dick Cheyne, though, it is a story of vital National Interest that is deserving of his removal from office?! :rofl The fact, as I pointed out earlier, is that the Democrats are so desperate to regain power that they are grasping at any and every thing they can to make an issue out of on why to get rid of Bush and/or Cheyne....exactly like the 'drowning man' scenario!

Who needs to refer to Clinton when the Democrats are embarrasing themselves by saying their liberal media should have been the 1st people called instead of the paramedics and that Cheyne should be removed from office over this?!

You seem to have gotten a lot more out of my comment than I put into it . I never mentioned anything about the media. I felt the president should have notified immediately.

easyt65 said:

Absolutely!
It is also interesting to note that some folks seem more interested in this accident (as though a fall out or its a big deal). What happen to the compasion that is assigned to these types of folks?

A man got hurt. If there was illegal activity involved, which now appears there is - no bird hunting stamp on his license, then the legal system should take its course. Sorry, that part is a misdemeanor... lol Small fine.

If Mr Whittington decides to sue or press charges, then it might become interesting.

tumbleweed said:
You seem to have gotten a lot more out of my comment than I put into it . I never mentioned anything about the media. I felt the president should have notified immediately.

WHAT dramatic impact did the fact that Cheyne was involved in a hunting accident make in his life that could not wait until the shootee had made it into the hospital and had been stabilized? Isn't it more prudent to gather all the fact and then give the final full report than keep calling the Presisdent, and news media, with 5 minute updates? Was Bush related to the guy? Did the accident cause HIM to miss some great appointment or adversely affect national policy or foreign policy? Did it cause the stock market to fall or something, adversely affecting foreign policy and/or causing HIM lost revenue?

Again, NO! It was a hunting accident, NOT Vince Foster's murder! :shock: ;)

vauge said:
If there was illegal activity involved, which now appears there is - no bird hunting stamp on his license, then the legal system should take its course. Sorry, that part is a misdemeanor... lol Small fine.

Eegads! :doh Will Cheyne have to resign because of THAT? :shock:
Maybe we chould appoint a Senate sub-committee and an Independent investigator, at the cost of several million tax-payer dollars, to get to the bottom of QUAIL-GATE! (Interject Foreboding Music: Dum - Dum - Dummmmmmmmmmmm!)

So the VP accedentally shot someone...big deal. Hunting accidents happen everyday and I don't care to hear about any of them. Shame on the media for jumping on him like that. I don't personally like him but damm leave the man alone. Now if he would have killed him then I see a story...can you imagine what they would do then? The only thing Dick Cheney needs is a course in gun safety not a jury condemming him.

Vice President Cheney is disliked by the Media.He is the biggest war Hawk in the administration. He also is not known for having a great regard for the truth. So the Medias criticism of him in this instance makes perfect sense.

I never mentioned anything about the accident, or the shooting.

I said there was a lack of communication, and notification when events such as this one occur . With our country fighting a war on 2 fronts, I think Bush needs to be the first to know anything. Minutes and hours are critical in actual emergencies .How many times have we seen this same lack of proper notification. If the US is threatened by terrorist plots, who will be the first responder if they suceed. Bush should be on speed-dial with his cabinet members. I would't be surprised if Bush was notified by e-mail.

tumbleweed said:

I said there was a lack of communication, and notification when events such as this one occur . With our country fighting a war on 2 fronts, I think Bush needs to be the first to know anything. Minutes and hours are critical in actual emergencies .How many times have we seen this same lack of proper notification. If the US is threatened by terrorist plots, who will be the first responder if they suceed. Bush should be on speed-dial with his cabinet members. I would't be surprised if Bush was notified by e-mail.

Well thanks for your patriotism and concern, Tumbleweed, but I am sure if it involved anything of national interest or concern that the President would have been notified immediately.

Cheyne's friend, the one he shot, has now had to have heart surgery because one or several of the pellets worked its/their way in too close to his heart causing what they are calling a 'silent' heart attack (elevated rythm, faster breathing, etc is what they are reporting).

Because his wound is more serious than originally thought, I can hear the media now - does this change in the victim's condition mean Cheyne could be convicted of a crime and be forced from office? Here it cimes....

tumbleweed said:

What does this have to do with the Presidents' instersts?

How will this promote or devalue our war on terror efforts?

Perhaps he was already listening in on the cell call to 911 and knew before the media. :mrgreen:

vauge said:
What does this have to do with the Presidents' instersts?

How will this promote or devalue our war on terror efforts?

Perhaps he was already listening in on the cell call to 911 and knew before the media. :mrgreen:

I think the presidents interest was that it wouldn't appear to the public he is always the last one to know what actually is, or was, going on.Even if it was just to tell him it was the other guy who got shot. It shows poor judgement IMO

It shows poor judgement to get a man who has been shot medical attention, to get him to a hospital and stabilize him, to notify his family, to wait and get some factual details before starting the story, which would run wild with speculation and rumor had not the facts been gathered 1st? :roll:

Man, I turned on the TV last night at about mid-night, and almost every freakin' news program was having a 30-minute 'special' report on this. It was a freakin' hunting accident, for pete's sakes! You'd think cheyne ordered the bombing of the Mexican Embassy or something!

This is a prime example of how the media loves to MAKE the news instead of report it! Jeesh!:doh Enough already!

Back
Top Bottom