• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Voyager 1 probe becomes first man-made object to leave solar system[W:16]

donsutherland1

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
From CNN:

NASA's Voyager 1 probe has become the first man-made object to enter interstellar space, the U.S. space agency announced Thursday.

Scientists report they have strong evidence that the unmanned spacecraft has crossed the magnetic boundary separating the solar system's sun, planets and solar wind from the rest of the galaxy. The announcement comes more than 36 years after the unmanned spacecraft lifted off on a journey that gave humans close-up views of Jupiter and Saturn before heading toward deep space.

Voyager 1 probe has left 'solar bubble' - CNN.com

NASA’s press release can be found at:

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/voyager/voyager20130912.html

Re: Voyager 1 probe becomes first man-made object to leave solar system

Sure doesnt seem like 36 years ago

So how long until it comes back to earth and suped up, kicking the butt of everything that comes in its way? Couple hundred years in Star Trek land isn't it?

From CNN:

NASA's Voyager 1 probe has become the first man-made object to enter interstellar space, the U.S. space agency announced Thursday.

Scientists report they have strong evidence that the unmanned spacecraft has crossed the magnetic boundary separating the solar system's sun, planets and solar wind from the rest of the galaxy. The announcement comes more than 36 years after the unmanned spacecraft lifted off on a journey that gave humans close-up views of Jupiter and Saturn before heading toward deep space.

NASA Spacecraft Embarks on Historic Journey Into Interstellar Space | NASA

That's awesome! (Glad we are still beating the Russians at something.....)

Wait. I thought you believe the sun orbits the earth. I'm confused.

Um, ok........ Not sure how you get that from anything I have ever said, OR how it is relevant to the OP........

Wait. I thought you believe the sun orbits the earth. I'm confused.

Yes, that's obvious. :p

Voyager 1 probe becomes first man-made object to leave solar system

Um, ok........ Not sure how you get that from anything I have ever said, OR how it is relevant to the OP........

Well, you blithely dismiss other established scientific concepts.

How does it relate to the OP? Well, how could something leave the solar system if the solar system is not a solar system?

Yay NASA!

Voyager 1 probe becomes first man-made object to leave solar system

And in a related story...."Putin to America: You're not special" :lamo

Well, you blithely dismiss other established scientific concepts.

How does it relate to the OP? Well, how could something leave the solar system if the solar system is not a solar system?

So really you aren't interested in discussing the OP just personally attacking me? Noted.

From CNN:

I remember watching the Voyager flyby of Saturn on live TV. The scientists would come out with pictures of the rings, say in an excited voice "see this, it means most of what we know about gravity is wrong. Isn't it great"! I always figured if more people saw things like that they would have a better respect for scientists and how science works.

Probably not though...

From CNN:

That is pretty cool.

What would be even more cool would be if it were to be discovered back, parked in Earth orbit, with a message or two from whoever encountered it out there.

Wasn't it Voyager that sent back a picture of Earth from the orbit of Pluto, that famous picture of the Earth as a tiny, lonely, little blue dot against a sea of black and stars? That had to have been one of the most memorable pictures ever.

It would have been better had it ran into a wall painted to look like the the galaxy, but still cool.

It would have been better had it ran into a wall painted to look like the the galaxy, but still cool.

That would have started some brand new scientific hypotheses, wouldn't it?

Moderator's Warning:
There is some topical drift occurring. Please return to this very interesting topic, which is not other posters.

From CNN:

I find it moving to the point of tears. This one of the most beautiful and grand accomplishments in the history of our country and our species. No one will ever be able to forget this first little emissary dispatched into the void between the stars.

Truly remarkable. No longer under the influence of the Sun's gravity just floating in a sea of nothing waiting for something to stumble across it. I hope that something is friendly though, or, if not, I hope it doesn't like liberals either.. ;)

Tim-

I'm glad I lived long enough to see this day. A magnificent achievement. Makes me proud.

It is a bit arbitrary though. Is the magnetic field the true end of the solar system? I mean, we say something has left earth and is in space way before its escaped earths gravitational pull.

It's too bad it only has another decade to communicate. It's even more sad that ( I think) Voyager 1 and 2 are the only probes that will do this, and we have no plans that I know of to send another. But we have plenty of money to bomb Syria and buy handguns.

Last edited:
It is a bit arbitrary though. Is the magnetic field the true end of the solar system? I mean, we say something has left earth and is in space way before its escaped earths gravitational pull.

It's too bad it only has another decade to communicate. It's even more sad that ( I think) Voyager 1 and 2 are the only probes that will do this, and we have no plans that I know of to send another. But we have plenty of money to bomb Syria and buy handguns.

There is money for space exploration. What we need is someone to compete with to provide an incentive to spend more on space and less on supporting terrorists in Syria.

Maybe China will step up to the plate and launch a real space exploration program. Not to be outdone, we would begin to try to compete with them with one of our own.

So how long until it comes back to earth and suped up, kicking the butt of everything that comes in its way? Couple hundred years in Star Trek land isn't it?

That was voyager six.

That was voyager six.

Okay, but IIRC we may be a little behind in creating our genetically superior warriors Khan & Company to freeze dry so they can save the Enterprise in 300 years, so we probably need to get on that before we worry more about the space exploration stuff.

Time Flies

You know, I'm a big time hater of NASA. I have stated numerous times that I think it's a waste of money right now. However, this is pretty cool. I hope that Voyager 1 continues to function and can transmit pictures back to us. I would fully support continuing to fund this particular program. I wish a car maker could make vehicle that could last as long as this thing has lol.

Back
Top Bottom