• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Voyager 1 probe becomes first man-made object to leave solar system[W:16]

Re: Voyager 1 probe becomes first man-made object to leave solar system

You know, I'm a big time hater of NASA. I have stated numerous times that I think it's a waste of money right now. However, this is pretty cool. I hope that Voyager 1 continues to function and can transmit pictures back to us. I would fully support continuing to fund this particular program. I wish a car maker could make vehicle that could last as long as this thing has lol.

I imagine it will function beyond our ability to receive its transmissions. Maybe we should throw a repeater station up on one of the Mars trips just for the hell of it. You never know.

Okay, but IIRC we may be a little behind in creating our genetically superior warriors Khan & Company to freeze dry so they can save the Enterprise in 300 years, so we probably need to get on that before we worry more about the space exploration stuff.

Indeed

Space is a topic that will always amaze me.
The vastness of it.
Like ... not only detecting events - not objects, events - somewhere in the universe today ... that occurred many many light years away ... but that we are actually able to detect them.

It's too bad it only has another decade to communicate. It's even more sad that ( I think) Voyager 1 and 2 are the only probes that will do this, and we have no plans that I know of to send another. But we have plenty of money to bomb Syria and buy handguns.

Yea because private citizens are responsible for the president, NASA and our purchase of a handgun. :roll:

Please just stop. This is not political.

I think this is awesome...Would love to see some of what it is seeing now....Does anyone know how long before we actually see data from today out of it?

So how long until it comes back to earth and suped up, kicking the butt of everything that comes in its way? Couple hundred years in Star Trek land isn't it?

V-ger.

Where's the freaky blond chick and the dad from 7th Heaven?

I think this is awesome...Would love to see some of what it is seeing now....Does anyone know how long before we actually see data from today out of it?

It is 18.8 billion km away. My math gets 17.4 hours, but that seems wrong. Not sure what I am doing wrong.

Edit: checked, it takes light between 4.1 and 6.8 hours to go from the sun to Pluto, so maybe my math was not that far off.

It is 18.8 billion km away. My math gets 17.4 hours, but that seems wrong. Not sure what I am doing wrong.

Edit: checked, it takes light between 4.1 and 6.8 hours to go from the sun to Pluto, so maybe my math was not that far off.

Wow, in terms of light years we are playing in the front yard.....:lol:

V-ger.

Where's the freaky blond chick and the dad from 7th Heaven?

Wait, not blond chick, BALD chick. Oops.

Your math is correct.

Light travels 299,792.458 kilometers per second and Voyager 1 was last 18.774 billion kilometers from the earth.

FWIW, one can find Voyager's latest distance from earth here:

Where are the Voyagers - NASA Voyager

I heard an interesting tidbit. If Voyager was to continue at its current pace it is destined to reach the nearest star in over 40,000 years. That kinda blows my mind how vast our universe really is.

From CNN:

NASA's Voyager 1 probe has become the first man-made object to enter interstellar space, the U.S. space agency announced Thursday.

Scientists report they have strong evidence that the unmanned spacecraft has crossed the magnetic boundary separating the solar system's sun, planets and solar wind from the rest of the galaxy. The announcement comes more than 36 years after the unmanned spacecraft lifted off on a journey that gave humans close-up views of Jupiter and Saturn before heading toward deep space.

Voyager 1 probe has left 'solar bubble' - CNN.com

NASA’s press release can be found at:

NASA Spacecraft Embarks on Historic Journey Into Interstellar Space | NASA

I love it.

From CNN:

NASA's Voyager 1 probe has become the first man-made object to enter interstellar space, the U.S. space agency announced Thursday.

Scientists report they have strong evidence that the unmanned spacecraft has crossed the magnetic boundary separating the solar system's sun, planets and solar wind from the rest of the galaxy. The announcement comes more than 36 years after the unmanned spacecraft lifted off on a journey that gave humans close-up views of Jupiter and Saturn before heading toward deep space.

Voyager 1 probe has left 'solar bubble' - CNN.com

NASA’s press release can be found at:

NASA Spacecraft Embarks on Historic Journey Into Interstellar Space | NASA

very cool; this story has fascinated me for a while. it's incredible that it is still sending back data.

In other words, it takes 36 years for a 250 million dollar camera to drift out of the solar system.

I heard an interesting tidbit. If Voyager was to continue at its current pace it is destined to reach the nearest star in over 40,000 years. That kinda blows my mind how vast our universe really is.

and that's just the closest star inside our own galaxy. There are hundreds of billions of other galaxies as well.

Yahoo News UK & Ireland - Latest World News & UK News Headlines

A strange, unearthly “shriek” greeted NASA’s Voyager I spacecraft as it became the first man-made object to enter interstellar space.
A strange rising “howl” was detected by instruments aboard the 36-year-old probe, which has travelled 12 billion miles away from our sun.

Fallen.

I just heard on science Friday that it is still in the Oort Cloud. To me, that means its still in the Solar System.

that was a really great interview

edit if anyone is interested

Are We There Yet? Voyager 1 Finally Answers

For years, scientists have been anticipating the spacecraft Voyager 1’s exit from the solar system. So far, it’s been difficult to tell. But this week scientists announced that, at long last, they have proof that Voyager has punched through to interstellar space. Voyager chief scientist Ed Stone joins to talk about the mission’s final frontier.

For years, scientists have been anticipating the spacecraft Voyager 1’s exit from the solar system. So far, it’s been difficult to tell. But this week scientists announced that, at long last, they have proof that Voyager has punched through to interstellar space. Voyager chief scientist Ed Stone joins to talk about the mission’s final frontier.

Awwwww, Won't play on my 'chrome'.....Damnit!

Science Friday is always great. But seriously, its in the Oort cloud, where comets are in orbit around the sun. That sounds like the solar system to me. The heliosphere seems kind of arbitrary. As they played on that intro to the interview, they were saying Voyager left the solar system ten years ago. It depends on the definition...

And j-mac... I dont know why you'd want to listen. You dont believe that science stuff anyway.

So dont listen to this:

Climate Conspiracy 1: Scientists falsify data

or this:

Climate change skepticism makes strange bedfellows

Back
Top Bottom