• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Vox: On Second Thought, The American Revolution Was A Mistake.....

MMC

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Private
Oh, some more of the left wing media finding something else to be sensitive about. Here is a liberal from Vox and his take on why the American Independence was a mistake. Thinks the British would have ended slavery and provided a better form of government. What say ye?

Dylan Matthews of Vox appears to be lamenting our independence since we would have abolished slavery sooner, the Native Americans would have experienced a slightly less horrific genocide, and we would have adopted the UK’s system of government, which is totally better than America’s (coding to liberals) because it allows the governing party to bulldoze over its opponents to push through their agenda (unless it’s a question about the EU):

American independence in 1776 was a monumental mistake. We should be mourning the fact that we left the United Kingdom, not cheering it. Of course, evaluating the wisdom of the American Revolution means dealing with counterfactuals. As any historian would tell you, this is messy business. We obviously can't be entirely sure how America would have fared if it had stayed in the British Empire longer, perhaps gaining independence a century or so later, along with Canada.

But I'm reasonably confident a world where the revolution never happened would be better than the one we live in now, for three main reasons: slavery would've been abolished earlier, American Indians would've faced rampant persecution but not the outright ethnic cleansing Andrew Jackson and other American leaders perpetrated, and America would have a parliamentary system of government that makes policymaking easier and lessens the risk of democratic collapse.....snip~

Vox: On Second Thought, The American Revolution Was A Mistake - Matt Vespa

Vox might want to give this guy his walking papers. Talk about a revision on history.

…parliamentary democracies are a lot, lot better than presidential ones. They're significantly less likely to collapse into dictatorship because they don't lead to irresolvable conflicts between, say, the president and the legislature. They lead to much less gridlock.

In the US, activists wanting to put a price on carbon emissions spent years trying to put together a coalition to make it happen, mobilizing sympathetic businesses and philanthropists and attempting to make bipartisan coalition — and they still failed to pass cap and trade, after millions of dollars and man hours. In the UK, the Conservative government decided it wanted a carbon tax. So there was a carbon tax. Just like that. Passing big, necessary legislation — in this case, legislation that's literally necessary to save the planet — is a whole lot easier with parliaments than presidential systems.....snip~

Anything to support greater statism.

This is a ridiculous opinion, but none the less, one that he's allowed to have, regardless of it's stupidity (much different than the intolerant left).

Frankly, I'd be embarrassed to hold this opinion.

This is a ridiculous opinion, but none the less, one that he's allowed to have, regardless of it's stupidity (much different than the intolerant left).

Yeah EB. :2wave: I wouldn't be surprised if Media Matters wants to hire him ASAP. They need more writers that can make **** up as they go along.

Vox should be embarrassed for providing an outlet for it. But then again, Ezra has an agenda to help spread.

Vox should be embarrassed for providing an outlet for it. But then again, Ezra has an agenda to help spread.

Heya Ocean. :2wave: Yeah, even more embarrassed than Drudge.

Heya Ocean. :2wave: Yeah, even more embarrassed than Drudge.

I wonder what ProgLibs would do without Drudge and Fox News. The prospect of having fewer things to blame would be horrific.

I wonder what ProgLibs would do without Drudge and Fox News. The prospect of having fewer things to blame would be horrific.

Well you know how they like to play that division game.....so it would be back to blaming each other. Although, I was surprised to see Mother Jones come out and say Hillary was manipulating the Media. I figured it would be a Right leaning source to come up with something like that.

Vox might want to give this guy his walking papers. Talk about a revision on history.

…parliamentary democracies are a lot, lot better than presidential ones. They're significantly less likely to collapse into dictatorship because they don't lead to irresolvable conflicts between, say, the president and the legislature. They lead to much less gridlock.

In the US, activists wanting to put a price on carbon emissions spent years trying to put together a coalition to make it happen, mobilizing sympathetic businesses and philanthropists and attempting to make bipartisan coalition — and they still failed to pass cap and trade, after millions of dollars and man hours. In the UK, the Conservative government decided it wanted a carbon tax. So there was a carbon tax. Just like that. Passing big, necessary legislation — in this case, legislation that's literally necessary to save the planet — is a whole lot easier with parliaments than presidential systems.....snip~

And in a Parliamentary democracy more can be accomplished. Witness the dysfunction within your Congress.
That said a carbon tax brought in by 1 Govt. can be repealed by the next party winning a majority or thru a coalition.

Well you know how they like to play that division game.....so it would be back to blaming each other. Although, I was surprised to see Mother Jones come out and say Hillary was manipulating the Media. I figured it would be a Right leaning source to come up with something like that.

I hadn't seen that. Then again, Sanders ideological spin is much more aligned with the end game of the Progressive Machine, so popping off a "Pillory Hillary" round is probably not a surprise.

I hadn't seen that. Then again, Sanders ideological spin is much more aligned with the end game of the Progressive Machine, so popping off a "Pillory Hillary" round is probably not a surprise.

;)

An Inside Look at How Hillary Clinton Plays the Media.....

On Tuesday night, the State Department released some 3,000 pages of emails between Hillary Clinton and her aides during her tenure as secretary of state. The correspondence offers a fascinating behind-the-scenes view of American diplomacy in action, as well as the former first lady's fashion choices. But some of the more intriguing exchanges involved the media—how her team sought to shape the news, the journalists they considered receptive to their message, and the close degree to which Clinton monitored how she was covered.

"How will we set any expectations?" Clinton replied. "Did anyone background the press yet?".....snip~

An Inside Look at How Hillary Clinton Plays the Media | Mother Jones

Hillary, and Team aren't worried about Sanders at all.

I'm not sure why all the hate for this piece.

Obviously, no one can predict what America would be like if we remained colonial.

But the author brings-up some interesting points, from a somewhat novel P.O.V.

I think this piece, at the least, makes us think in ways we ordinarily might not - and that's a good thing, whether we agree with his conclusions or not.

As usual you go to Clownhall to get your spin, Here is the actual title of that piece from Vox:

3 reasons the American Revolution was a mistake - Vox

So what Pete, that's the link they gave and they copied his exact words. Straight from Jack and the Box. Now what can you do to get around that? Got anything to say about this guy thinking the British would have got rid of slavery sooner?

You agree with his take on history Pete?

Oh, some more of the left wing media finding something else to be sensitive about. Here is a liberal from Vox and his take on why the American Independence was a mistake. Thinks the British would have ended slavery and provided a better form of government. What say ye?

Dylan Matthews of Vox appears to be lamenting our independence since we would have abolished slavery sooner, the Native Americans would have experienced a slightly less horrific genocide, and we would have adopted the UK’s system of government, which is totally better than America’s (coding to liberals) because it allows the governing party to bulldoze over its opponents to push through their agenda (unless it’s a question about the EU):

American independence in 1776 was a monumental mistake. We should be mourning the fact that we left the United Kingdom, not cheering it. Of course, evaluating the wisdom of the American Revolution means dealing with counterfactuals. As any historian would tell you, this is messy business. We obviously can't be entirely sure how America would have fared if it had stayed in the British Empire longer, perhaps gaining independence a century or so later, along with Canada.

But I'm reasonably confident a world where the revolution never happened would be better than the one we live in now, for three main reasons: slavery would've been abolished earlier, American Indians would've faced rampant persecution but not the outright ethnic cleansing Andrew Jackson and other American leaders perpetrated, and America would have a parliamentary system of government that makes policymaking easier and lessens the risk of democratic collapse.....snip~

Vox is a worthless ultra-Left Wing rag. This is really par for the course. :shrug:

Vox is a worthless ultra-Left Wing rag. This is really par for the course. :shrug:

With far left foolishness like this, yeah, pretty much. I guess this is also part of the left wing media that isn't biased.

;)

An Inside Look at How Hillary Clinton Plays the Media.....

On Tuesday night, the State Department released some 3,000 pages of emails between Hillary Clinton and her aides during her tenure as secretary of state. The correspondence offers a fascinating behind-the-scenes view of American diplomacy in action, as well as the former first lady's fashion choices. But some of the more intriguing exchanges involved the media—how her team sought to shape the news, the journalists they considered receptive to their message, and the close degree to which Clinton monitored how she was covered.

"How will we set any expectations?" Clinton replied. "Did anyone background the press yet?".....snip~

An Inside Look at How Hillary Clinton Plays the Media | Mother Jones

Hillary, and Team aren't worried about Sanders at all.

In order to play the media, the media must be willing partners in the effort. That is why recent polls show 75% believe the media creates news to fit an agenda.

As to Sanders, I'm not sure I agree with your assessment. I think Sanders is a dangerous predicament for Hilary and those who handle her.

I'm not sure why all the hate for this piece.

Obviously, no one can predict what America would be like if we remained colonial.

But the author brings-up some interesting points, from a somewhat novel P.O.V.

I think this piece, at the least, makes us think in ways we ordinarily might not - and that's a good thing, whether we agree with his conclusions or not.

Why would there be hate Chomsky? :2wave: How does one equate hate with any thing like this? You have seen those of the left run to such when it was a Right leaning source. Did you notice that the majority of the Right Don't jump in talking about, why you hatin on this. Must be a reason, huh?

Well he did leave out quite a bit, wouldn't you say?

Over at Hot Air, Ed aptly points out that the Weimer Republic in Germany was a parliamentary system that collapsed into a dictatorship … led by Adolf Hitler, the British and the French consistently pitted the native tribes against one another in the frontier lands of America, and that strategy of playing tribes off each other would have been probably entered another vicious cycle in the Napoleonic Wars. Oh, and Pontiac’s Rebellion–a three-year war against the British by a confederation of tribes along the Great Lakes–began due to British mistreatment.....snip~ Same link.

With far left foolishness like this, yeah, pretty much. I guess this is also part of the left wing media that isn't biased.

Honestly, I think it's rather telling. It just goes to show what the Left's "let's destroy traditional American culture" agenda will try to go after next if they ever manage to get their way in completely stomping out every cultural vestige of the C.S.A.

"Why is there is a patriarchal white male slave owner and war monger on the one dollar bill!?!?"

"Why does a president who fought against native peoples deserve a monument!!?!?"

"You're all evvviiiilllll racists, and we're going to make you PAAYY!!!!"

Mark my words, the day is coming.

Although I agree that under a parliamentary system thing would have been different, but can we really say how different? He begins by agreeing it is "messy business" but then gets absolutely filthy with it.

There is no evidence the British would have ended slavery, as they had imposed it in the first place.

First, he ignore, as usual, Canada's history and how it gained nationhood, independence is NOT a word used here. In fact, we do not have any independence, technically speaking as Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II is Canada's head of state to this day. As recently as the 1980's, the Prime Minister of the day had to petition Buckingham Palace for an increase in the number of seats in our un-elected Senate. Were not allowed our own flag until 1967, which is whan Oh Canada, replaced "God Save the Queen."

Canada did not become a nation 100 years later, but a "Dominion" created by the BNA, British North America Act, which was an act of the British Parliament that remained in effect until 1982....

The composition of the Constitution of Canada is defined in subsection 52(2) of the Constitution Act, 1982 as consisting of the Canada Act 1982 (including the Constitution Act, 1982), all acts and orders referred to in the schedule (including the Constitution Act, 1867, formerly The British North America Act, 1867), and any amendments to these documents. The Supreme Court of Canada held that the list is not exhaustive and includes a number of pre-confederation acts and unwritten components as well.[2] See list of Canadian constitutional documents for details.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitution_of_Canada

Americans would have had to wait 200 years for the "independence" she sought.

I also glosses over the British treatment of first nations, a less blood thirsty approach but far more devastating, it ignores Canada's struggles economically while Britian raped the resources of this land, and deliberately forced a wedge of division between French and English we are still try to heal.

The grass is always greener in your neighbor's pasture. And I am grateful I live here and not there. But it is not the utopia he makes it out to be, and the reality is nothing any American I have ever met would be able to accept.

He also forgets there would be no Theodore Roosevelt Navy, no American Army, no Air Force.....Canada's troops who served so admirably in Europe, died in greater numbers than most other countries, and some in the military ascribe to the fact Canadians were not allowed to command their own troops until after WWII.

These are not things Americans could accept.

Last edited:
Why would there be hate Chomsky? :2wave: How does one equate hate with any thing like this? You have seen those of the left run to such when it was a Right leaning source. Did you notice that the majority of the Right Don't jump in talking about, why you hatin on this. Must be a reason, huh?

Well he did leave out quite a bit, wouldn't you say?

Over at Hot Air, Ed aptly points out that the Weimer Republic in Germany was a parliamentary system that collapsed into a dictatorship … led by Adolf Hitler, the British and the French consistently pitted the native tribes against one another in the frontier lands of America, and that strategy of playing tribes off each other would have been probably entered another vicious cycle in the Napoleonic Wars. Oh, and Pontiac’s Rebellion–a three-year war against the British by a confederation of tribes along the Great Lakes–began due to British mistreatment.....snip~ Same link.
I used 'hate' in a more metaphorical phrasing sense, rather than literally - similar to using the word 'love' in, "Hey, show some love around here"!

So even though it didn't come through in my post, I realize there's no real 'hate' in this thread.

I was just a bit surprised by the near universal condemnation.

In order to play the media, the media must be willing partners in the effort. That is why recent polls show 75% believe the media creates news to fit an agenda.

As to Sanders, I'm not sure I agree with your assessment. I think Sanders is a dangerous predicament for Hilary and those who handle her.

Well, I think she has shown which reporters who she will allow access to. Like BO she has that bias running against Fox.

Recently she and her team played a little game with a Pool Reporter from the Daily Mail.

Not when she has O'Malley who can run around and attack Sanders, while not saying much about her.

Honestly, I think it's rather telling. It just goes to show what the Left's "let's destroy traditional American culture" agenda will try to go after next if they ever manage to get their way in completely stomping out every cultural vestige of the C.S.A.

"Why is there is a patriarchal white male slave owner and war monger on the one dollar bill!?!?"

"Why does a president who fought against native peoples deserve a monument!!?!?"

"You're all evvviiiilllll racists, and we're going to make you PAAYY!!!!"

Mark my words, the day is coming.

'Fundamental transformation' indeed.

To the leftists, I say there is no need for fundamental transformation of the American culture, especially the agenda the leftists appear to be purporting.

Is it perfect? No, but it's more perfect than what you are proposing as part of your agenda, as described above. Go pound salt.

And in a Parliamentary democracy more can be accomplished. Witness the dysfunction within your Congress.
That said a carbon tax brought in by 1 Govt. can be repealed by the next party winning a majority or thru a coalition.

That might be true JF. :2wave: But then they already had pointed out a few things with the differences.

Also, forget the carbon tax scenario, what about the War on Terror? The majority of Americans think the interrogation measures that were used on terrorism suspects after 9/11 was justified, with a majority also saying that such techniques amounted to torture. In the system we have today, with a written Constitution, our political leaders and legal scholars would have to see if such techniques are legal. In the UK system, the legality of such techniques–theoretically–would've ended once a bill was passed. The UK doesn’t have a written Constitution; it’s whatever parliament passes. Hence, why liberals probably like the UK model so much since it permits them to effectively have a true living constitution. It’s a horrifying aspect.

At the same time, our Constitution does not prohibit legislatures from passing laws permitting abortion on demand or banning the death penalty, so, in a sense; liberals have been fighting their battles in the wrong arenas. Yet, they will probably have a problem building a consensus for the former initiative. Nevertheless, it shows you that consensus is key in advancing our society in a democratic manner.....snip~ same link.

I used 'hate' in a more metaphorical phrasing sense, rather than literally - similar to using the word 'love' in, "Hey, show some love around here"!

So even though it didn't come through in my post, I realize there's no real 'hate' in this thread.

I was just a bit surprised by the near universal condemnation.

Well there is a difference with each ideology. As well as interpretation of some history. Or that which is not mentioned or forgotten. With intent.

Back
Top Bottom