• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Voting

I am in Illinois. That's right, I'm a Yankee! I have had friends tell me they mailed their ballot from the post office and got acknowledgement that their ballot was received within a day or two.

The Obama family's state! I understand it is reliably Democrat. Electoral maps show Joe Biden is likely to win there, which is not surprising.

Florida OTOH is consistently red except for always being correct on who wins the presidency. Don't believe people who insist Florida is purple. My neighbor who volunteers with the Alachua County Democratic Party said if my ballot gets lost in the mail, I can't go to the polling place and vote in person. Legally that considered an attempt to vote twice and I would be barred from voting. No second chance. Thank God the mail route is not a problem for you.

The Obama family's state! I understand it is reliably Democrat. Electoral maps show Joe Biden is likely to win there, which is not surprising.

Florida OTOH is consistently red except for always being correct on who wins the presidency. Don't believe people who insist Florida is purple. My neighbor who volunteers with the Alachua County Democratic Party said if my ballot gets lost in the mail, I can't go to the polling place and vote in person. Legally that considered an attempt to vote twice and I would be barred from voting. No second chance. Thank God the mail route is not a problem for you.

Florida may not be purple but it's getting bluer. Your neighbor is mistaken. If you receive a mail ballot then decide to vote in person, you should take the mail ballot to be canceled at the polling place. If you do not, you may be required to vote a provisional ballot. Finally, you do not have to mail your ballot. You can drop it off at any early voting site or at the dropbox outside your County Supervisor of Elections Office. Whether you use mail or drop-off, you can track your ballot online.

Florida may not be purple but it's getting bluer. Your neighbor is mistaken. If you receive a mail ballot then decide to vote in person, you should take the mail ballot to be canceled at the polling place. If you do not, you may be required to vote a provisional ballot. Finally, you do not have to mail your ballot. You can drop it off at any early voting site or at the dropbox outside your County Supervisor of Elections Office. Whether you use mail or drop-off, you can track your ballot online.

What my neighbor said was the Alachua County BOE only knows if a ballot was mailed to my address, not that I received it, unless they get it back. How would they know if my ballot was lost in the mail with no chance of being recovered? That is why my mom drove to the ACBOE with both of our ballots and put them in the drop box, which she said is bolted down.

Which part of Florida do you live in?

I research the issues and candidates, then vote for whomever/whatever best represents my interests (or at least against whomever/whatever doesn't). Sorry, I'm not altruistic enough to do otherwise. As it happened this time, that resulted in a straight Democratic ballot except for Republican county commissioners. And as usual, I voted against unopposed incumbents - yeah, I favor term limits.

I voted a mail ballot but rather than using the Post Office, I dropped it off at the ballot box outside our local library branch. No line, but then it's not a real populous area. The box was guarded by a masked and gloved deputy sheriff. This was at the order of our governor Ron DeSantis, a notorious Trump ass-licker, and his minions in a pathetic last-minute attempt to disrupt mail voting. Their excuse is some rabid anarchist might blow up the boxes with firecrackers. 🤣 Even if elections supervisors and sheriffs have the resources for such guards, those resources could be put to better use. Anyway, the deputy was friendly and talkative - probably bored with this shit duty.

What my neighbor said was the Alachua County BOE only knows if a ballot was mailed to my address, not that I received it, unless they get it back. How would they know if my ballot was lost in the mail with no chance of being recovered? That is why my mom drove to the ACBOE with both of our ballots and put them in the drop box, which she said is bolted down.

Which part of Florida do you live in?

They wouldn't and neither would you. That's why I mentioned tracking it online (https://www.votealachua.com/My-Registration-Status). If it hadn't been received by election day, you might be able to vote a provisional ballot in person. That includes your sworn affidavit that you have not and will not vote more than once. For that reason, I would want them to document the mailed ballot is presumed lost so it wouldn't look like fraud if it showed up later. Course the way to avoid all that is to use a ballot dropbox as you did.

The best part! ;) Treasure Coast

When one Treasure Coast?

The closest beach is almost two hours away from me, so I rarely go to one.

not this year

it has zero to do with political laziness this year

there is a monster loose destroying our country and it will take a complete change to try and fix things.
Well said. Every ounce of my being inclines toward being a disagreeable, independent, free agent, unaffiliated pain in the ass ... but not when Trump is on the ballot. After that cancer is removed, I'll consider voting for Rs again. Until that cancer is removed, I will oppose anyone who is on its side.

Our household of three received our ballots on Friday, filled them out over dinner on Sunday, reading most of the relevant "candidate statements" from the voter pamphlet and discussing issues and candidates in depth as we voted each issue. I used to treasure the ritual of going to the precinct to vote, seeing neighbors and chatting with poll workers I saw once or twice a year, but since our State went to all-mail voting, my family has developed a new, and I think better, tradition. I deposited our votes at city hall on the way to pick up fast food for dinner last night. I have the additional duty of tracking their progress online. That's 21st century electioning. I like it. It's secure, convenient, and better executed. I know my vote will be tallied on election night. I wish everyone had as good an experience.

When one Treasure Coast?

The closest beach is almost two hours away from me, so I rarely go to one.

Not sure what you're asking. Anyway, Indian River, Saint Lucie and Martin counties collectively are called the Treasure Coast. The name derives from a Spanish treasure fleet lost off the coast here in a 1715 hurricane. I live about 10 miles inland. But I'm not a beach person so I also rarely go - usually only when we have guests that want to.

Last edited:
OK so you are not close to me.

I meant to ask where is the Treasure Coast.

On Sunday I dropped off our family's four ballots for Biden.

What fun.

Washington State has had all-mail balloting for several decades now. Makes it so easy. I can sit home and fill out the ballot in comfort, searching the Seattle Times' and The Stranger's endorsements for races in which I'm not familiar with the contestants or issues.

This is what I dislike about politics. You vote straight Democrat. It seems that each choice should be looked at individually. This political laziness ensures that we continue with this suboptimal system.
I never vote straight ticket, but often my research leads me to vote for the democrats, effectively being straight ticket.

I never vote straight ticket, but often my research leads me to vote for the Democrats, effectively being straight ticket.

Unless there is a very compelling reason to vote for the Republican candidate, your research will always show up favoring the Democrats. My last Republican vote in Ohio was for a CPA running for state treasurer.

There was a 15-minute line to enter the polling place this AM but it moved pretty rapidly. Both my wife & I voted the straight Dem line.

Statistics on MSNBC this AM showed Dem early voting was significantly higher than Repub.

Political sign seen on our way to vote: Donald J. Trump belongs in jail
I voted two weeks ago by mail. But I think the yard sign I seen triumphs yours. All it said, "Adult 2020." That yard sign sums up how I voted and for who.

Unless there is a very compelling reason to vote for the Republican candidate, your research will always show up favoring the Democrats. My last Republican vote in Ohio was for a CPA running for state treasurer.
Occasionally a third party or independent.. But yeah, my positions prevent me from voting for Republicans, although some of them are fairly decent as republicans go.

Occasionally a third party or independent.. But yeah, my positions prevent me from voting for Republicans, although some of them are fairly decent as republicans go.

I never voted for a third party or independent candidate because I know he or she will lose. But some people say doing that is sending a message to the big parties simply skipping the election does not.

I never voted for a third party or independent candidate because I know he or she will lose. But some people say doing that is sending a message to the big parties simply skipping the election does not.
More recently I've been tending to think that way - I vote dem because I think they're better than the Republican, and the 3rd party has little chance.

Area I live in has more republican voters though, so...

The area you live in is irrelevant to Joe Biden's chances of winning Pennsylvania. Only the fact you voted for him does.

As a democrat I voted for one republican for local stuff and two with no party affiliation. The republican I voted for fought 'the villages' over their water usage, they named a street after him. I voted for every sitting judge to be removed and democratic on everything else. I want to see the republican party become irrelevant.
Local politics are different. Our town coalesced to fight the take over of our schools & town by the Hasidic community. They finally agreed to form their own town & school district with the same borders. We have one state election where a republican is the only candidate. After that its all Democrat for me. Passed town hall this morning, packed with cars parked on the road. Tuesday should be easy with all the early voting.

Back
Top Bottom