• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Voting

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
There was a 15-minute line to enter the polling place this AM but it moved pretty rapidly. Both my wife & I voted the straight Dem line.

Statistics on MSNBC this AM showed Dem early voting was significantly higher than Repub.

Political sign seen on our way to vote: Donald J. Trump belongs in jail

This is what I dislike about politics. You vote straight Democrat. It seems that each choice should be looked at individually. This political laziness ensures that we continue with this suboptimal system.

Voted by mail. Did not vote straight political line. I voted for the person I thought would do the best for the State and has values close to what I have.

In Arizona some of the Republican Party candidates are still active with the Tea Party which I do not support.

Voted by mail. Did not vote straight political line. I voted for the person I thought would do the best for the State and has values close to what I have.

In Arizona some of the Republican Party candidates are still active with the Tea Party which I do not support.
The long line to just drop off ballots was very encouraging. People are motivated. I wonder why.

The long line to just drop off ballots was very encouraging. People are motivated. I wonder why.
The local news stated that Dems tend to do more early voting, especially by mail.
One can only hope that people don't sit on the sidelines and get out and vote. I will accept whoever wins as the President. I just hope it is not Trump.

voted early, first day it was available in ohio....ten minute wait when i got their, probably closer to 30 minutes when i left, i got there just ahead of the crowd....mostly seniors and minority voters in the group that i was in....

I didn't see any young people in line & a few oldsters, but mostly middle age (35+). No blacks as our county is 98% caucasian.

This is what I dislike about politics. You vote straight Democrat. It seems that each choice should be looked at individually. This political laziness ensures that we continue with this suboptimal system.
We're long used to being lectured by people like you who try to lay claim to some kind of purity with comments like that. The fact is, however, that political parties have platforms and different plans for governing. By voting along party lines it's a statement of support not just of this or that candidate but to get a particular set of policies. If you agree with a R presidential candidate's ideas but vote for D congressional and/or Senate candidate it suggests that either you don't have any particular purpose in mind when you vote other than to make it look bipartisan when, in fact, you'll be more likely voting for gridlock. Oh, wait. Is it your actual intent that government doesn't get anything done so you can play your "see how the government is the problem" card? I'm not at all suggesting that vote splitting is wrong. There may be a lot of situations where local and state candidates from different parties match up better for local and statewide elections and issues. But to claim that voting straight ticket is "laziness" is false if it's done to advance policies that are favored by the voter.

Last edited:
We're long used to being lectured by people like you who try to lay claim to some kind of purity with comments like that. The fact is, however, that political parties have platforms and different. By voting along party lines it's a statement of support not just of this or that candidate but to get a particular set of policies put into place. If you agree with a R presidential candidate's ideas but vote for D congressional and/or Senate candidate it suggests that either you don't have any particular purpose in mind when you vote other than to make it look bipartisan when, in fact, you'll be more likely voting for gridlock. Oh, wait. Is it your actual intent that government doesn't get anything done so you can play your "see how the government is the problem" card?
As a democrat I voted for one republican for local stuff and two with no party affiliation. The republican I voted for fought 'the villages' over their water usage, they named a street after him. I voted for every sitting judge to be removed and democratic on everything else. I want to see the republican party become irrelevant.

Vote. No matter how or who -- just simply vote.

As for me I am voting blue to send a message to Trump and the party that enabled his criminal behavior. Where are live there are quite a few sitting red seats looking pretty hot. I am going to proudly help unseat them for keeping that R by their name.

There was a 15-minute line to enter the polling place this AM but it moved pretty rapidly. Both my wife & I voted the straight Dem line.

Statistics on MSNBC this AM showed Dem early voting was significantly higher than Repub.

We vote entirely by mail in OR, therefore no lines. I look at the hours' long lines in states like GA and other red states where the idea of "democracy" has always been to make it as hard as if not possible for certain people to vote and my heart swells with admiration for their stamina and courage. They are true patriots.

Vote. Already we have a HUGE voter turnout - already more than the 2016 election in MN. Chances are, a lot more people are gonna get their asses out to vote.

As a democrat I voted for one republican for local stuff and two with no party affiliation. The republican I voted for fought 'the villages' over their water usage, they named a street after him. I voted for every sitting judge to be removed and democratic on everything else. I want to see the republican party become irrelevant.
I should have cited that as another reason to vote straight ticket....to send a message to a political party that it needs to change. It looks like a lot of Republican office holders have already gotten the message (Sasse's comments about Trump that were "leaked" last week, e.g.).

That is not a reason to dislike voting. Each voter decides whether to vote straight ticket or for both Democrats and Republicans. Every voter has the right to make that choice. You are free to think voting straight Democrat or Republican is a bad idea. That is neither right nor wrong. It is all about priorities. Mine are right for me. Yours are right for you. But remember what Barack Obama said: "Vote as if your life depends on it, because it does."

not this year

it has zero to do with political laziness this year

there is a monster loose destroying our country and it will take a complete change to try and fix things.

If mitch remains in control of the senate then Biden will be hamstrung.

Vote straight democrat ticket. Congress is really more important than the president.

i stood in line 1.5 hours (i live in the South).

i didn't see one red hat.

I dropped off my ballot at one of the early voting sights this afternoon. About 50 people waiting in line to vote. Been steady lines all day, every day. I am fortunate; my city has lots of early voting locations and my state does not try to suppress the vote.

Sweeeeeet! :ROFLMAO: Straight party line.

Not that anyone on here ever accused you of being a free thinker anyways.......right?

I dropped off my ballot at one of the early voting sites this afternoon. About 50 people waiting in line to vote. Been steady lines all day, every day. I am fortunate; my city has lots of early voting locations and my state does not try to suppress the vote.

Which state are you in?

I like the idea to have drop boxes at polling places, but the safest way both medically and legally was drive to the County Board of Elections office. If I had to choose between mailing it or going to the polling place, I would have done the latter.

Which state are you in?

I like the idea to have drop boxes at polling places, but the safest way both medically and legally was drive to the County Board of Elections office. If I had to choose between mailing it or going to the polling place, I would have done the latter.
I am in Illinois. That's right, I'm a Yankee! I have had friends tell me they mailed their ballot from the post office and got acknowledgement that their ballot was received within a day or two.

Back
Top Bottom