• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Voting underway in no-confidence motion

Infinite Chaos

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Soon after 8 tonight, yet another Conservative PM could lose their position over the theme of membership of the EU. Membership of the EU has been the most contentious subject in British politics for over 100 years and I doubt a new leader or even March 29th will see the end of this issue.

So - ramifications of a loss of vote of confidence:

1. T May steps down
  2. New leadership campaign starts and date set for election (in consultation between Sir Ian Brady and T May)
  3. Candidates whittled down through process to 2 candidates
  4. Leader elected
  5. Poisoned chalice handed over with very little time to deal with the situation.

The longer this goes on the more convinced I become that the Brits simply like political discord and incessant hand wringing.

For the love of God, people, you voted to leave. Either get it done or pretend that vote never happened, apologize profusely to your masters in the EU, promise to never go astray again and have a nice cup of tea to recover your composure.

.................with all these idiots in absolute denial over the by now clear and strong indication that a no-deal Brexit will garner even less support (if you like, more opposition) in parliament than the deal which May brought.

Which, so as not to be misunderstood, I couldn't be further away from calling good than I already am.

What a flusterc...

.................with all these idiots in absolute denial over the by now clear and strong indication that a no-deal Brexit will garner even less support (if you like, more opposition) in parliament than the deal which May brought.

Which, so as not to be misunderstood, I couldn't be further away from calling good than I already am.

What a flusterc...

In the minority but it will never pass Parliament, EU is done negotiating, aside from some minor language clarifications, so another Brexit Vote is my bet, let the people really see how breaking away from the EU will cost them.
And that is what the Politicians will do. Hand it back for another Vote

What a flusterc...

Turn the reins ovet to Corbyn and let's get under motion.
/

Boris! Boris! Boris!

The longer this goes on the more convinced I become that the Brits simply like political discord and incessant hand wringing.

For the love of God, people, you voted to leave. Either get it done or pretend that vote never happened, apologize profusely to your masters in the EU, promise to never go astray again and have a nice cup of tea to recover your composure.

Agreed, they really screwed this up.

Turn the reins ovet to Corbyn and let's get under motion.
/

Oy vey. The communist and antisemitic Jeremy Corbyn would be terrible for the UK.

Older, less education "nationalists" lead a revolution to exit, having no clue what that really meant, and its left to everyone else to try and put the pieces back together? If so, sounds like another national crisis I know.

Oy vey. The communist and antisemitic Jeremy Corbyn would be terrible for the UK.
Corbyn can get his preferred crash-out Brexit thru parliament even less than May her "soft" one.

Labour is as split over the issue as everybody else is.

Bad leadership has consequences, sometimes enormous.

YUK

Corbyn can get his preferred crash-out Brexit thru parliament even less than May her "soft" one.

Labour is as split over the issue as everybody else is.

I realize Theresa May said "Brexit means Brexit". However, the Brexit referendum was marred by campaign spending irregularities and probable Russian interference.

Wikipedia
In October 2017, a study by researchers at City, University of London was published in the journal Social Science Computer Review. The article identified 13,493 Twitter accounts that posted a total of about 65,000 messages in the last four weeks of the Brexit referendum campaign, the vast majority campaigning for a "Leave" vote; they were deleted shortly after the referendum. A further 26,538 Twitter accounts suddenly changed their username. In November 2017, the Electoral Commission told The Times that it had launched an inquiry to "examine the growing role of social media in election campaigns amid concerns from the intelligence and security agencies that Russia is trying to destabilize the democratic process in Britain". The Commission was in contact with Facebook and Twitter as part of the inquiry. After denying it for over a year, Facebook admitted in November 2017 that it was targeted by Russian trolls in the run-up to the Brexit referendum.

I have to believe Brits are far better informed and more security-aware now than they were in June of 2016.

Reports claim that we will know in 20 minutes.

I realize Theresa May said "Brexit means Brexit". However, the Brexit referendum was marred by campaign spending irregularities and probable Russian interference.

I have to believe Brits are far better informed and more security-aware now than they were in June of 2016.

"Keep doing it over till the people vote "right"" is a horrible road to go down.

It is however what I predicted long ago.

Last edited:

Russian interference notwithstanding, one can safely chalk up this whole flusterc*** to the political elite far more than to "the people". And by that elite I mean the top echelons across all aisles.

There is no political camp one can go to in the hope of it supporting remain, there's none one can go to in the hope of it supporting leave.

What we have is a bunch of self-serving scum juggling for personal advantage and political gain, from Boris and Reese-Mogg all the way to Corbyn. In the process taking any affiliate of integrity that actually thinks about the people with them and, when their tantrums don't get them what they want immediately, arrange themselves in circular firing squads.

I realize Theresa May said "Brexit means Brexit"~

You should have heard the "we're ruled from Brussels" quotes and similar from the people who have no export market to consider in their assessment of the benefits of Brexit.

In the minority but it will never pass Parliament ~

This is my feeling too. If May wins, she still has to get this through Parliament which is no mean feat.

~ having no clue what that really meant ~

Sadly true.

The result: Theresa May wins vote.

200 votes for - 117 voted no confidence.

Rees Mogg telling us it's a bad result and May should resign... fine for the hard Brexiteers to say no 2nd referendum vote but they will want one for the leadership...

200 votes for - 117 voted no confidence.

Rees Mogg telling us it's a bad result and May should resign... fine for the hard Brexiteers to say no 2nd vote but they will want one for the leadership...
Well, they can't have a second go at her for a year now.

But she'll probably step down next year, once she fails to get her deal thru parliament. Alone Corbyn (but he far from alone) will skewer it while not providing any sensible alternative either.

Well, they can't have a second go at her for a year now

Oh, you should have heard Mogg talking immediately to BBC news 24...

~ probably step down next year ~

Apparently she promised to stand down anyway after March 29th and not lead the party in the next election.

~ Alone Corbyn (but he far from alone) will skewer it while not providing any sensible alternative either.

Corbyn won't want to be in power before March 29th and he was not the most proactive remain supporter - much like Theresa May when Cameron asked her for support.

I didn't think May would lose the vote today. She remains, and so does the Brexit mess.

Back
Top Bottom