• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Voting should be one day and in person, here's why:

Channe79

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
It would give a true picture of where the nation is on one particular day and in unison.
Early voting ensures people make a decision before new information is presented.
Voting by mail is suspect because of the logistics - this applies to both parties.
If you're away on vacation or business on voting day - TOUGH LUCK.
Voting is a choice and a right, but the citizen has to put effort as well.
The only exception is our soldiers and fed employees who should vote where ever they're stationed, but in person.
Voting Day should become a mandatory holiday so every citizen has a chance to vote in person.

What say you ?

Yeah, who needs those healthcare workers, EMTs, police, firefighters, folks that have a surgery scheduled, people that are sick,gas station attendants, pilots, military personnel unable to leave their posts, (should I continue with this list or do you get the point?) people voting.

It would give a true picture of where the nation is on one particular day and in unison.
Early voting ensures people make a decision before new information is presented.
Voting by mail is suspect because of the logistics - this applies to both parties.
The only exception is our soldiers and fed employees who should vote where ever they're stationed, but in person.
Voting Day should become a mandatory holiday so every citizen has a chance to vote in person.

What say you ?

I say it’s idiotic. Australia has mail in only voting for the whole country. The idea that it’s logistically difficult is absurd.

1 day with no police, fire or ambulance services? Sure, what could go wrong?
Police, Fire, and MES work on federal holidays - even today.
This is a false assertion. No American is more than 30 minutes away from the nearest polling station - there's no reason fire/ems/police couldn't vote. Heck, I wouldn't mind if they were allowed to vote in their own stations.

Voting Day should become a mandatory holiday, as well so there's no excuse as to why you couldn't be there.

What say you ?
So you're suggestion is that every single person in our military should take the day off and go vote? Sounds like a great idea. The guys tracking incoming threats don't need to be there.

Every employee at every chemical facility/refinery takes the day off? Some facilities need days to properly shutdown and restart. A chemical plant we do work for recently figured that they lost a couple million dollars for being down for 2 days due to an unexpected power outage. Take that kind of hit and spread it across all the refineries and facilities across the country and you just cost our economy a couple billion dollars and a likely a few days of refining capacity.

Hopefully noone gets sick and needs a doctor or hospital. I guess we can tell any pregnant women to just hold it in til the day after.

Seriously. There's no good reason to stop early voting. If a person thinks they have the information required to make up their mind, they should be allowed to go and vote early. There's no reason to make this harder than it need be.

This is a false assertion. No American is more than 30 minutes away from the nearest polling station - there's no reason fire/ems/police couldn't vote. Heck, I wouldn't mind if they were allowed to vote in their own stations.
1. Lines are already very long in some areas. Now imagine how long they'd be if noone early voted. This is a stupid idea.

2. So now on top of all the other stupid problems this causes, we would have to go setup voting booths in every police station, fire station, EMS facility and every hospital accross the country? You can't be serious.

You said mandatory holiday for all non-federal workers and soldiers, no exceptions. See, right here:

"The only exception is our soldiers and fed employees who should vote where ever they're stationed, but in person."

Then when it is pointed out how stupid your idea is, exceptions are suddenly allowed.

And you don't think there would be lines? There is no way, unless they opened a lot more polling stations you could get 150-180 million people to vote in a single day.

Your post lacks thought about logistics.

In addition to the sheer ridiculousness of shutting down the economy and public services for a day to accomplish this goal - I am also struggling to understand what would be SO monumental that it is discovered and would change votes in a matter of one day.

A vast majority of people know who they’re going to vote for long before they actually get a chance to cast their votes.

What say you ?
blah blah blah blah blah

Extend the voting period to 7 days and declare one of those days a holiday

What say you ?
I think this is like most things you post...... Over simplified and poorly thought out.

You said mandatory holiday for all non-federal workers and soldiers, no exceptions. See, right here:

"The only exception is our soldiers and fed employees who should vote where ever they're stationed, but in person."

Then when it is pointed out how stupid your idea is, exceptions are suddenly allowed.
Nothing can be perfect - it's just an idea.
The bigger point is I think voting should be one day and in person.
The smaller logistical issues can be sorted out.
Exceptions can/will be made, but for 99% of the population it would be feasible.

1. Lines are already very long in some areas. Now imagine how long they'd be if noone early voted. This is a stupid idea.

2. So now on top of all the other stupid problems this causes, we would have to go setup voting booths in every police station, fire station, EMS facility and every hospital accross the country? You can't be serious.
Not to mention, there’s already a struggle to find poll workers as it is

Exceptions can/will be made, but for 99% of the population it would be feasible.
It's a really ****ing stupid idea. Try harder next time.

What say you ?

Horseshit... There is absolutely NO reason to not make voting as easy as applying for a credit card... I don't need to prove "effort" to anyone...

It’s a bad idea.

One that we have evolved past as a society.

It isn’t 1902, it is 2022.

And you don't think there would be lines? There is no way, unless they opened a lot more polling stations you could get 150-180 million people to vote in a single day.

Your post lacks thought about logistics.

It’s funny that he claims mail in voting doesn’t work “because of logistics” when he himself failed logistics hard.

And your idea is stupid. We should do what other countries have done and have universal mail in voting.

The polls are open long enough for everyone to vote IF they want to.
If you can't make these hours then too bad. You know voting day comes once a year and if you are serious about voting then PLAN ahead. Stop with all the excuses!!
I mean really if you can't make voting plans with a years notice, then you probably shouldn't vote!

What say you ?
I say "a day" is completely arbitrary. New information doesn't follow the calendar.

We either have everyone in the nation vote at the exact same moment, or we cut them off from all outside influence. Good luck.

The rest seems needlessly harsh.

It's a really ****ing stupid idea. Try harder next time.
That's a defeatist attitude which I won't accept.
I believe in this and it's a draft idea; work in progress.
Hate away, but it's what I believe.

That's a defeatist attitude which I won't accept.
I believe in this and it's a draft idea; work in progress.
Hate away, but it's what I believe.
Check your calendar.

We've already done this as a society. And have evolved past it.

Why do you want to go back in time?

The polls are open long enough for everyone to vote IF they want to.
If you can't make these hours then too bad. You know voting day comes once a year and if you are serious about voting then PLAN ahead. Stop with all the excuses!!
I mean really if you can't make voting plans with a years notice, then you probably shouldn't vote!
This is what I'm saying !
If you love democracy so much, and you know when voting day is a year in advance, prove it by showing up that day.

Back
Top Bottom