• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Voting Age For Women

The age to smoke is 18, or maybe it's been raised to 19 in some states. I gave up smoking a long time ago so I wouldn't know.

But anyway the point is this, the reason why the voting age was lowered from 21 to 18 back in the 60s was because young men ages 18-20 were being drafted but were not allowed to vote. The said it was only fair that if they could be drafted they should be allowed to vote and so that was how the voting age got lowered to 18 and it was lowered to 18 for both men and women. That being the case, was it right back then to lower the voting age for women to 18? After all, they were not being drafted.

As of January 8, 2019, six states – California, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Oregon, Hawaii and Maine – have
raised the tobacco age to 21, along with at least 430 localities, including New York City, Chicago, San
Antonio, Boston, Cleveland, Minneapolis, both Kansas Cities and Washington, DC. Some of the localities are
in states that subsequently enacted statewide laws.

https://www.tobaccofreekids.org/ass...issues/sales_21/states_localities_MLSA_21.pdf

Though that's not the point.

Yes, it was right to lower the voting age for women as well. Women have been serving in the in the armed forces since WWI, and were permanently made a part of the armed forces in 1948, drafted or not. They have an equal right to choose their Commander-in-Chief.

voting age should be 21 again unless the person is in the military... then it can be 18.

So if you're some kid you can't vote...unless you wear a uniform to work ?

Why would you give special permission to a soldier to vote but not a mechanic or call center representative ? Who, it should be said, earn the money to pay the wages of the soldier !

Next you'll say soldiers should be allowed to drink alcohol in bars aged 18.

We're not going to take it away today and that was not the question. The question is, did we do the right thing back then to lower the voting age from 21 to 18 across the board instead of just for men?

The answer is obvious. Yes. If men can vote at 18 so can women.

But why?

Voting (should) demand that people be educated on the issues and the candidates so they can make an informed decision. Being 18 and in the military does not make you any more informed that any other 18 year old - many of whom are woefully uninformed. I understand that the rationale might be that they're serving their country but that does compensate for a presumed still immature critical thinking facility?
I went to school. I was well informed for years before I was 18. Maybe you didn't go to school at 18, maybe you dropped out years before that so maybe you weren't well informed at 18 but that doesn't mean all 18 year olds are like you were.

More importantly while our military veterans deserve our support we are not a militarist nation. We should not be giving a special class status to those in the military and giving 18 year old soldiers the right to vote but not every other 18 year old would do just that.
The voting age was lowered to 18 not because 18 year old men were serving or being drafted but because they could be drafted. If you were eligible for the draft you were eligible to vote, that was the argument.

Dude, you're from New Zealand, how you run your country is your business. I am in the USA, I am an American citizen, you are not. As such how things are done in the USA should be my concern and not yours. How things are done in the USA is none of your concern and quite frankly none of your business.

Bodhi is an expat, and a u.s. citizen.

I went to school. I was well informed for years before I was 18. Maybe you didn't go to school at 18, maybe you dropped out years before that so maybe you weren't well informed at 18 but that doesn't mean all 18 year olds are like you were....

So do you want to propose some kind of test to see if people are smart enough to vote ?

...the voting age was lowered to 18 not because 18 year old men were serving or being drafted but because they could be drafted. If you were eligible for the draft you were eligible to vote, that was the argument.

Not quite

It was the age thing - if 18 is an age when people can be drafted and be expected to fight and die, then 18 was a responsible enough age to be allowed the vote.

Women have been serving in the in the armed forces since WWI, and were permanently made a part of the armed forces in 1948, drafted or not. They have an equal right to choose their Commander-in-Chief.

But they were not, nor could they be involuntarily drafted. If they did serve they did so voluntarily. The involuntary draft only applied to men, and that was the argument back then that if a person could be involuntarily drafted they should be allowed to vote.

18 is the legal age of adult in most states, and is the legal voting age. That should never change because of any draft, that's what I think of that.

Dude, you're from New Zealand, how you run your country is your business. I am in the USA, I am an American citizen, you are not. As such how things are done in the USA should be my concern and not yours. How things are done in the USA is none of your concern and quite frankly none of your business.

He is an American citizen. He just doesn't happen to live here.

You should consider asking before attacking.

But they were not, nor could they be involuntarily drafted. If they did serve they did so voluntarily. The involuntary draft only applied to men, and that was the argument back then that if a person could be involuntarily drafted they should be allowed to vote.

No it wasn't - it was about the age.

If 18 is old enough to fight and die, it's old enough to vote.

Why would you give special permission to a soldier to vote but not a mechanic or call center representative ? Who, it should be said, earn the money to pay the wages of the soldier !
For once I agree with you.

Now only if you could say such smart stuff in the gun debate folder.

That is an issue and that's partially why the drinking age was lowered to 18 in some states, but since there were too many automobile accidents which were the result of drunk driving where the driver was age 18-20 the drinking age was raised back to 21 across the board. But, I do believe soldiers at 18 can drink alcohol although Im not 100% sure about that.

Nothing magical happens on ones 18th birthday that makes them more or less mature to be in the Military, drink, vote, drive or whatever, it also doesn't magically happen on a persons 21st birthday either...

I never said that something magical happened on a person's birthday...

You might not be aware of it, but the draft has been done away with, and is unlikely to return. The last soldiers drafted in the US happened in December 1972.

It is still a Constitutional provision though...

Alright but you do have to keep in mind that women were not subject to the involuntary draft at 18.

And that has exactly nothing to do with it.

The answer is no rational person would say it's okay to take the vote away from half of the 18-20 year old population today.

There is no reason to take away the vote from a legal adult. Sex or the involuntary draft is not relevant.

I was literally in the USA yesterday... I am not from New Zealand... I am an American citizen... so... how things are run there is of my concern...

Anything else?

18 year-old's are not kids...

Because that person is risking their lives for the country... I am happy to extend that right to others that do direct service for their country... firefighters, cops, teachers... maybe...

Yep...

So do you want to propose some kind of test to see if people are smart enough to vote ?
Nope, that would turn voting from a right into a privilege. Just like the right to bear arms, the right to vote is exactly that, a right. It is not a privilege where you have to meet certain prerequisites, such as passing a test, in order to be allowed to do it.

It was the age thing - if 18 is an age when people can be drafted and be expected to fight and die, then 18 was a responsible enough age to be allowed the vote.
Alright, but the fact remains that women were not drafted and expected to fight and die, at least not involuntarily.
Up until the Obama administration women were not ever even involved in direct combat.

The draft was the rationale that spurred debate, it was not the basis or requirement on which the 26th Amendment was passed:

The Senate Report accompanying the Twenty-Sixth Amendment explained that it was proposed for three main reasons. First, “younger citizens are fully mature enough to vote.” Most people between 18 and 21 had completed high school, and many had received at least some higher education. Second, 18-year-olds “bear all or most of an adult’s responsibilities.” This consideration assumed special importance since over half the American servicemen killed in Vietnam were between 18 and 20. Third, younger voters should be given the chance “to influence our society in a peaceful and constructive manner.” Excluding 18-year-olds from the political process contributed to violent protests.
https://constitutioncenter.org/interactive-constitution/amendments/amendment-xxvi

I tend to attack somebody when they offend me.

That is a great way to come off as ignorant... but since I am an American citizen you should not have been offended... how foolish do you feel?

Back
Top Bottom