• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Voters split over McCain, Obama on Iraq

AndrewC

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Voters split over McCain, Obama on Iraq - Decision '08 - MSNBC.com

WASHINGTON - John McCain's stance on the war is unambiguous: He voted for it, supports the current enhanced U.S. troop presence in Iraq and vigorously opposes any timetable to withdraw.

The public's stance on the war is as equivocal as McCain's is not: A strong majority of Americans oppose it and believe it was wrong in the first place, but more find McCain better suited to handle Iraq than his Democratic presidential rival, Barack Obama.

"He's more experienced militarily," said Ann Burkes, a registered Democrat and retired third-grade teacher from Broken Arrow, Okla. "And I don't know if I agree with stay-the-course (policy), but I think the good probably outweighs the bad with him, experience-wise."

Still, this hate-the-war, love-the-warrior strain runs through the American electorate. In a new Associated Press-Yahoo News poll, more than one out of five of the respondents who said they opposed the war also said they support McCain for president. The sentiment does not discriminate by gender or by age. Most significantly, it splits independent voters in favor of McCain.

Respondents said McCain would do a better job in Iraq than Obama by a margin of 39 percent to 33 percent. Undergirding that response is a strong sentiment that McCain would be a better leader of the military than Obama. One out of three respondents said that description matched McCain "very well," whereas only one out of 10 said the same of Obama, who did not serve in the armed forces.

I don't agree with it, but there it is. The interesting thing about this is how woefully inept each party's platform is on Iraq. Republicans don't get that no matter what changes in Iraq. The public is done with this war. While Democrats lack any real strategy for dealing with Iraq.

Voters split over McCain, Obama on Iraq - Decision '08 - MSNBC.com

I don't agree with it, but there it is. The interesting thing about this is how woefully inept each party's platform is on Iraq. Republicans don't get that no matter what changes in Iraq. The public is done with this war. While Democrats lack any real strategy for dealing with Iraq.

I believe that your first mistake is taking anything that comes from MSNBC as credible.

That stated, it is obvious that most Americans prefer victory and success in Iraq than failure. The problem is that every day the media bombards them with the distortion and lies that one cannot implement a successful Democracy in Iraq and that Republicans cannot manage it. It is absurd, but that is their argument.

If the American people were INFORMED and had a complete picture of what is occurring not only in the Middle East, but in Europe as well, they would not have such a distorted perspective about Obama's abilities and how naive his positions are on dealing with despots, terrorists and dictators.

I am still going out on a limb and confident that McCain will win in the fall regardless of the mainstream medias attempts to dis-inform the American people.

That stated, it is obvious that most Americans prefer victory and success in Iraq than failure. The problem is that every day the media bombards them with the distortion and lies that one cannot implement a successful Democracy in Iraq and that Republicans cannot manage it. It is absurd, but that is their argument.

If the American people were INFORMED and had a complete picture of what is occurring not only in the Middle East, but in Europe as well, they would not have such a distorted perspective about Obama's abilities and how naive his positions are on dealing with despots, terrorists and dictators.

I disagree. Bush and Republicans constantly yap about Iraq, terrorism and making the world safe. Making excuses for why the public isn't swayed by their rhetoric isn't helpful. The public had no problem believing Bush going in. What has changed? Years of failure and uncertainty tend to sour people's willingness to accept the status quo. Actions and events speak louder than "they just don't know the truth like I do".

I disagree. Bush and Republicans constantly yap about Iraq, terrorism and making the world safe. Making excuses for why the public isn't swayed by their rhetoric isn't helpful. The public had no problem believing Bush going in. What has changed? Years of failure and uncertainty tend to sour people's willingness to accept the status quo. Actions and events speak louder than "they just don't know the truth like I do".

Years of failure? Please define what is meant by "years of failure" in Iraq?

Are the years of failure the fact that they have formed their own government for the first time in generations? Are the years of failure the fact that a much larger portion of their populace voted than in our own? Are the years of failure the fact that in less than a month, our military performed spectacularly in defeating one of the largest forces in the Middle East?

Please describe what is meant by "years of failure." I'd like to see your definition.

Could it be you just don't know the WHOLE story of what is happening over there? Could it be your perceptions of what constitutes failure colored by our medias coverage?

Maybe if you knew the WHOLE story, you would be less inclined to describe it as years of failure? Maybe if you understood how our Middle Eastern policy has been an abject failure for over six decades illustrated by the events of 9-11, you would not see it as years of failure?

So with your argument, and the Democrats, we should ensure that failure by pulling out before democracy is assured for the Iraqis. How profound is that?

I believe that your first mistake is taking anything that comes from MSNBC as credible.

I am still going out on a limb and confident that McCain will win in the fall regardless of the mainstream medias attempts to dis-inform the American people.

The problem is there is no real defined "victory" presented. There is the standard "if" this is accomplished...but IMO that is more ethereal then concrete. This is a new type of warfare, nothing similar to it in the past to base a "victory" on, so withdrawal at some point, IMO, is the only choice. Whether that is now or later will be dependent on who is elected.

Personally I don't put much stock in McCain and his "experience" claim. A President is not a ship unto himself/herself so "experience" is relative, based on who your support chain is comprised of so if Obama surrounds himself with highly qualified he is as capable as McCain if he surrounds himself with highly qualified.

Last edited:
Years of failure? Please define what is meant by "years of failure" in Iraq?

Are the years of failure the fact that they have formed their own government for the first time in generations? Are the years of failure the fact that a much larger portion of their populace voted than in our own? Are the years of failure the fact that in less than a month, our military performed spectacularly in defeating one of the largest forces in the Middle East?

Please describe what is meant by "years of failure." I'd like to see your definition.

I've got a pretty good definition for you: Failure is everything that happened after the stellar first month. Wow, that was easy. :2razz:

The problem is there is no real defined "victory" presented. There is the standard "if" this is accomplished...but IMO that is more ethereal then concrete. This is a new type of warfare, nothing similar to it in the past to base a "victory" on, so withdrawal at some point, IMO, is the only choice. Whether that is now or later will be dependent on who is elected.

Personally I don't put much stock in McCain and his "experience" claim. A President is not a ship unto himself/herself so "experience" is relative, based on who your support chain is comprised of so if Obama surrounds himself with highly qualified he is as capable as McCain if he surrounds himself with highly qualified.

Okay so you are convinced the OTHER option; pulling out and allowing whatever may happen to occur is the better option. Will this be a better definition to what is defined by what is meant by "victory?"

Would withdrawal be less ethereal and more concrete?

What I find specious about such arguments is that they take the position that their GUESSES as to what will happen if we withdraw as being more concrete than the GUESSES as to what will happen if we remain.

The ONLY thing we can be ASSURED of with a withdrawal is that Osama was correct when he stated that Americans don't have the stomach for a long protracted struggle. The Democrats are desperate to prove him right. The fascinating thing about this is that I cannot fathom how this will make Americans or Iraqi’s safer.

Carry on.

I've got a pretty good definition for you: Failure is everything that happened after the stellar first month. Wow, that was easy. :2razz:

In other words, you cannot define it so you will avoid it using pithy meaningless one liners....got it.

Carry on.

You essentially restated your previous post. That somehow many Americans, myself included, don't get it. In large numbers the American public continue to label Iraq and indeed much of American policy as failure or not worthwhile. If you don't want to deal with that. That is your business. My point is that blaming everything but Republican policy and rhetoric isn't helpful nor insightful.

In other words, you cannot define it so you will avoid it using pithy meaningless one liners....got it.

Carry on.

I actually defined it. So what exactly is your beef again?

I actually defined it. So what exactly is your beef again?

What is my beef? My beef is the corrupt rhetoric from the left that our policy in Iraq has been a failure, meanwhile, the Iraqi people have elected a government, rid themselves of a murderous dictator who caused the death of millions of his own people not to mention the millions of his neighbors from two unnecessary wars, they are enforcing their laws, violence is at an all time low and the terrorists are on the run.

But of course in your definition, it would have been a much better political solution to ignore the threat Saddam continued to pose, to ignore his outright defiance of continuous UN resolutions and to ignore the corruption of the UN oil-for-food program.

Once again, failure as defined by you and the corrupt intellectually weak blather from the Left in this country is this; because you say so.

Carry on.

the Iraqi people have elected a government,

One that is weak and can't support itself or grow the balls to fight for it's own land. Expecting American soldiers to do what Arabs seem to be too retarded to do.

rid themselves of a murderous dictator who caused the death of millions of his own people not to mention the millions of his neighbors from two unnecessary wars, they are enforcing their laws, violence is at an all time low and the terrorists are on the run.

THEY rid themselves of a murderous dictator? Who is THEY? Last time I checked it was U.S. helicopters, tanks and soldiers going through the streets of Baghdad fighting Iraqi troops. It was U.S. troops that were looking for
Saddam.

But of course in your definition, it would have been a much better political solution to ignore the threat Saddam continued to pose, to ignore his outright defiance of continuous UN resolutions and to ignore the corruption of the UN oil-for-food program.

It's been proven that Saddam posed about as much a threat as Mugabe. The only reason his country was still around was because oil is good money. That's not the reason we went to war but can you show what made Saddam a threat to the U.S.? His non-existent WMDs? Or was it the war he couldn't start because he was being kept in check by other Arab nations?

Once again, failure as defined by you and the corrupt intellectually weak blather from the Left in this country is this; because you say so.

Carry on.

Failure is defined by the fact 'we' can't leave until 'we' fix what the Iraqis won't do fix for themselves. Like children they have to have everything done for them. That Iraqis won't step up to the plate and take off their uniforms the second they're hit with anything stronger then a 9MM is a sign of how big a failure this war has been.

Okay so you are convinced the OTHER option; pulling out and allowing whatever may happen to occur is the better option. Will this be a better definition to what is defined by what is meant by "victory?"

There is no defined "victory".

Would withdrawal be less ethereal and more concrete?

Think about it a second. "Victory" in Iraq is undefined. Withdrawal is absolute. Ergo withdrawal cannot be ethereal just as undefined "victory" cannot be absolute.

What I find specious about such arguments is that they take the position that their GUESSES as to what will happen if we withdraw as being more concrete than the GUESSES as to what will happen if we remain.

IMO Iraq must govern itself sooner then later. The longer we enable their gov't to continue in its current course the longer we will have to slag on in our occupation of Iraq. There must come a time when Iraq must take the helm for its own ship so let's motivate them by giving them a defined date for our unilateral withdrawal.

The ONLY thing we can be ASSURED of with a withdrawal is that Osama was correct when he stated that Americans don't have the stomach for a long protracted struggle. The Democrats are desperate to prove him right. The fascinating thing about this is that I cannot fathom how this will make Americans or Iraqi’s safer.Carry on.

Iraq is not a struggle but an illegal war and of course we American,s who are not war hawks and only find justification in our existance by being at war with our "enemies", are not going to stand by and watch our men and women in uniform and those who support them on the ground continue to die for what? A lie.

Bush got us into it and now it will take Obama to get us out. If you get "McCain the same as Bush" we'll be there either as an occupying military force involved in battle in an unending war since no sense of "victory" has been defined or foreseen in the foreseeable future or as an occupying force as long as no Americans are injured, harmed or killed (but nonetheless we will still loose American military men and women because this is the ME and our nation is hated in the ME and al Qaida is not suddenly going to stop attacking us in Iraq because we no longer declare ourselves an invading/occupying force) for up to 100 years because he doesn't care how long we are there.

What is my beef? My beef is the corrupt rhetoric from the left that our policy in Iraq has been a failure, meanwhile, the Iraqi people have elected a government, rid themselves of a murderous dictator who caused the death of millions of his own people not to mention the millions of his neighbors from two unnecessary wars, they are enforcing their laws, violence is at an all time low and the terrorists are on the run.

Carry on.

Ok then how about the own militarys official stance? They did just release a 700 page memo describing the mistakes in planning and execution of the war after the initial invasion correct? I would call that a failure in planning and execution of the war after the initial invasion. But hey, what do I know, I tend to trust the military when they review themselves... :roll:

Ok then how about the own militarys official stance? They did just release a 700 page memo describing the mistakes in planning and execution of the war after the initial invasion correct? I would call that a failure in planning and execution of the war after the initial invasion. But hey, what do I know, I tend to trust the military when they review themselves... :roll:

We call this after the fact second guessing. The military is known for it's analysis of tactics and actions after the fact. They call it learning from their mistakes.

Would you care to read all the after the fact reports from WWII; do you think that war was conducted flawless? Do you think no one criticized the conduct of the war or Eisenhower? Do you think the troops didn’t complain about the incompetence of their officers and those in command? Many back home in America criticized and castigated one of the best Generals in the war, General Patton. He was politically incorrect. But he probably saved a hell of a lot of lives slapping troopers who needed it.

But hey, what do I know, my dad, my uncles were all veterans and I was raised in the Army. What does history know right?

Far better we second guess and criticize our own Commander and Chief and chastise the planners for political opportunism than to support the effort and see it to its conclusion right?

I presume you also think it is far better to run from our obligations and prove Osama right about the lack of will of the American people than to see it to its conclusion right?

Far better to pretend we didn't also occupy Europe for 50 years and whine about a five to ten year commitment now; thus also proving Osama, our enemy, right, right?

One has to stand on one’s head and be stoned to have that kind of logic. But that is the world we live in today. A world that continues to ignore the lessons of the historic past thinks that life should be painless and without sacrifice and a world that thinks Government run by benevolent intellectual liberals is better equipped to help the poor than families and communities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth Detector
the Iraqi people have elected a government,

One that is weak and can't support itself or grow the balls to fight for it's own land. Expecting American soldiers to do what Arabs seem to be too retarded to do.

A specious argument in that it presumes that a country that has been under dictators and despots for centuries should suddenly become experts at freedom and Democracy.

I am sure the same things were espoused by the ill-informed when America won its independence. It took us over 200 years and we are still figuring it out. We fought a horrible civil war 100 years after our independence. But I am sure we will ALL agree that a Democracy beats the hell out of a dictatorship run by a megalomaniac psycho.

Quote:
rid themselves of a murderous dictator who caused the death of millions of his own people not to mention the millions of his neighbors from two unnecessary wars, they are enforcing their laws, violence is at an all time low and the terrorists are on the run.

THEY rid themselves of a murderous dictator? Who is THEY? Last time I checked it was U.S. helicopters, tanks and soldiers going through the streets of Baghdad fighting Iraqi troops. It was U.S. troops that were looking for Saddam.

A false argument in that the Iraqi's and their own courts were the ones who tried Saddam, condemned him for his crimes against the Iraqi people and hung him. We had very little to do with it. I guess you missed the fact.

Quote:

It's been proven that Saddam posed about as much a threat as Mugabe. The only reason his country was still around was because oil is good money. That's not the reason we went to war but can you show what made Saddam a threat to the U.S.? His non-existent WMDs? Or was it the war he couldn't start because he was being kept in check by other Arab nations?

How has this been proven? To Liberals like you who desperately want a reasdon to hate your own country and its efforts to rid the world of a psychotic dictator who invaded neighboring countries and caused the deaths of millions? A dictator who attempted to arm himself with WMDs and had used them on his enemies and his own people?

If Saddam was such a non-threat, why then did the UN vote nearly unanimous on numerous resolutions to disarm him and continually failed to neutralize him?

If Saddam was such a non-threat, why did the previous administrations make the same arguments the Bush Administration about what a threat he was to the region, the world's oil supply and our allies?

If Saddam was such a non-threat, why did the Saudi's agree to allow us to stage our military on their land?

The only one's who profess such nonsensical and specious arguments are those with a Liberal political agenda.

Again it begs the question; why do Liberals make such specious arguments when Saddam had proven on numerous occasions what a threat he was to stability and his violent attempts to control the Middle East Oil supply by invading Iran and Kuwait?

It begs another question; why do Liberals make such specious arguments against our own nation, this Administration and defend or even excuse the actions of despots and terrorists?

Quote:

Failure is defined by the fact 'we' can't leave until 'we' fix what the Iraqis won't do fix for themselves. Like children they have to have everything done for them. That Iraqis won't step up to the plate and take off their uniforms the second they're hit with anything stronger then a 9MM is a sign of how big a failure this war has been.

Again, your argument begs the question; what is your point?

We made a decision to go into Iraq to enforce the UN resolutions he defied for a decade. It was a bi-partisan agreement about his defiance and threat to the region and our allies. We went in and we have established a self governing Democracy which over 67% of the Iraqi people at risk of personal harm went to polls, voted and dipped their fingers into ink and proudly displayed their defiance to the thugs who threatened them for choosing their own leaders.

What makes your weak arguments so specious is that the alternative is to run away from the obligation we all agreed on when the overwhelming majority in the Congress and Senate voted for the Joint Resolution.

What is readily apparent from such weak and specious arguments professed by people like you is that they are made in a empty void of the facts, truth and historic record of what occurred. It is also apparent that the ONLY solution offered by Liberals and their Democrat pals in the congress is to attack the Commander and Chief, impugn the efforts of our military, impugn the character of the members of this administration and those in congress who believe that success in Iraq is a better strategy.

It's sickening to watch the desperate attempts by a major political party in this country to make us more vulnerable and force us to withdraw from Iraq before the job is done and make Osama Bin Laden's prophesy about the American will come true for no better reason than political opportunism.

It's patently stupid, pathetic and should insult the intelligence of thinking Americans to watch this party attack their own rather than the despots, thugs, murderers and terrorists who are attempting to thwart our efforts to assist the Iraqi people in their desire for a democratically elected Government.

Hey Indy, do you know if there's a link for that memo? I'd be greatly interested in reading it.

Hey Indy, do you know if there's a link for that memo? I'd be greatly interested in reading it.

This is about as good as your going to get probably:

Army study: Iraq occupation was understaffed

If I actually had a link to the think would you really read it? Damn, that's impressive. I'm all into fact checking and such but 700 pages is WAY over the line for me. I just don't really care all that much.

This is about as good as your going to get probably:

Army study: Iraq occupation was understaffed

If I actually had a link to the think would you really read it? Damn, that's impressive. I'm all into fact checking and such but 700 pages is WAY over the line for me. I just don't really care all that much.

Attribute it to my military career. I am very interested in comparing this Army study to my own estimation of the military blunders I observed at the beginning and during the invasion sweep to Baghdad and uptake of the occupation.

Thanks for the link mate. Very kind. :2wave:

Attribute it to my military career. I am very interested in comparing this Army study to my own estimation of the military blunders I observed at the beginning and during the invasion sweep to Baghdad and uptake of the occupation.

You are very welcome.

Too bad they didn't appoint you General of the Army, based on your own impression of yourself, the war would have been over by now.

I would be interested in learning more about your military experience and how your expertise exceeds that of our current Military planners and Civilian politicians.

I would also be interested in knowing where you got your information at the beginning and during the invasion that gave you such deep insights as to our blunders that surpassed the information the commanders in the field had.

:roll:

Too bad they didn't appoint you General of the Army, based on your own impression of yourself, the war would have been over by now.

I would be interested in learning more about your military experience and how your expertise exceeds that of our current Military planners and Civilian politicians.

I would also be interested in knowing where you got your information at the beginning and during the invasion that gave you such deep insights as to our blunders that surpassed the information the commanders in the field had.

:roll:

Because I have an interest in the Army study over the invasion and uptake of the occupation in Iraq in no way means I esteem myself so highly, irrespective of your puerile and simplistic attempt to portray me as someone who does. Not sure why you have this combative attitude towards a simple request I made to someone else but maybe you need to cut back on the coffee.

World war 2 was packed with military blunders but people should be aware of their over confidence with hindsight.

The fact is alot of people in the media have invested their reputations on failure being the only result possible in Iraq.Ive seen many already beginning to back track.I say lets get off the argueing between pulling out or staying in and start talking about the best way to rebuild the infrastructure.

Because I have an interest in the Army study over the invasion and uptake of the occupation in Iraq in no way means I esteem myself so highly, irrespective of your puerile and simplistic attempt to portray me as someone who does. Not sure why you have this combative attitude towards a simple request I made to someone else but maybe you need to cut back on the coffee.

You clearly stated:

Originally Posted by rsixing

It lends the appearance that you observed the "military blunders" beginning and during the invasion did you not?

If anything is puerile and simplistic, it appears to be your LACK of response to my questions.

I am not surprised there would be no answer, but please spare me the hyperbole; carry on.

If I were you I would have completely ignored that ignorant post. Why even reply when TD clearly only wanted to bicker?

Back
Top Bottom