• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Vote Trump Party! Now with free hats.

If he fails to get the Republican nomination, should Trump run independent

• Oh my, please no! (Democrat)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Oh my, please no! (Republican)

• Oh my, please no! (Independent)

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Yay, go Trump go! (Democrat)

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • Yay, go Trump go! (Republican)

• Yay, go Trump go! (Independent)

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Only if he runs from a prison cell

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Spirit has TDS

Votes: 4 33.3%

• Total voters

Ug make hammer

Dawn Sky Miner
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
Silly title I know, but the point here is what if Trump ran as an independent in 2024?

Suppose early primaries in 2024 go badly for him, and instead of taking it like a man, Trump announces an independent run?

Some states have laws against that, but we'll get to those in a minute. Firstly it's necessary to look at the timing: States keep open a place for major party nominees, but generally close ballot access before major party primaries are finished. North Carolina closes Mar 3 (of the election year) which coincidentally was Super Tuesday in 2020. However the vast bulk of states don't close the Presidential ballot until August. Even if the R primary calendar was really quite different, Trump could drop out right after Super Tuesday and still be able to register in most States.

According to Ballotpedia, only two states have "sore loser" laws that apply to Presidential candidates. There's a long list (33 states plus DC) of sore losers who DID get on the ballot. The two states where "sore loser" might apply to a Presidential candidate are South Dakota and Texas. That's not likely to bother Trump much, though Texas is a must-win for him to have a realistic chance. He'll kid himself he can win on write-ins, right up until the point he realizes that write-ins are only counted in Texas if the candidate was allowed to register for them.

A Trump Party would wreck Republicans horrendously ... or would it? It's possible that Trump might take some states and deny either party the required majority in the Electoral College. The election would then go to Congress who most likely would appoint the Republican duo (whether they came first second or third in the College). Trump followers will believe anything from his mouth, and the clue to getting out maximum Trump vote would be the (probably faulty) reasoning that his voters will get the lesser of two evils even if they DO split the vote.

Some questions:

1. CAN Trump do it?
2. WOULD Trump do it?
3. WOULD it screw the Republican in the General Election?

Silly title I know, but the point here is what if Trump ran as an independent in 2024?

Suppose early primaries in 2024 go badly for him, and instead of taking it like a man, Trump announces an independent run?

Some states have laws against that, but we'll get to those in a minute. Firstly it's necessary to look at the timing: States keep open a place for major party nominees, but generally close ballot access before major party primaries are finished. North Carolina closes Mar 3 (of the election year) which coincidentally was Super Tuesday in 2020. However the vast bulk of states don't close the Presidential ballot until August. Even if the R primary calendar was really quite different, Trump could drop out right after Super Tuesday and still be able to register in most States.

According to Ballotpedia, only two states have "sore loser" laws that apply to Presidential candidates. There's a long list (33 states plus DC) of sore losers who DID get on the ballot. The two states where "sore loser" might apply to a Presidential candidate are South Dakota and Texas. That's not likely to bother Trump much, though Texas is a must-win for him to have a realistic chance. He'll kid himself he can win on write-ins, right up until the point he realizes that write-ins are only counted in Texas if the candidate was allowed to register for them.

A Trump Party would wreck Republicans horrendously ... or would it? It's possible that Trump might take some states and deny either party the required majority in the Electoral College. The election would then go to Congress who most likely would appoint the Republican duo (whether they came first second or third in the College). Trump followers will believe anything from his mouth, and the clue to getting out maximum Trump vote would be the (probably faulty) reasoning that his voters will get the lesser of two evils even if they DO split the vote.

Some questions:

1. CAN Trump do it?
2. WOULD Trump do it?
I wouldn't mind Trump having another go, though his mouth would probably dissuade me from directly voting for him again this time as well.

Why would he run as an independent?
If he runs he will be the republican nominee. Who will beat him?

Thread sounds like more wishful thinking!
Trump can't win the primary's........😂😂

Why would he run as an independent?
If he runs he will be the republican nominee. Who will beat him?

Thread sounds like more wishful thinking!
Trump can't win the primary's........😂😂

I'm not so sure. I think he has enough of a chance to try, and my idea is that he might react with fury at the Republican party if they reject him.

It's in his character you must admit. Republicans, you're FIRED!

Trump is not going to run. He will not risk another loss.
Some around here seem to be hopeful. I have seen Trump '24 front licence plates and other signs and stickers popping up.
Of course it would cause a dilemma were he to run on an I ticket. Voting party line...we all know partisan jockeys... vs going full out for Trump would cause some chaos for sure.

He owns the Republican party. Why does he need another one?

He still has sabotage leverage, but that will diminish after the mid-terms. Then in 2024 the Republican party will have the opportunity to rid themselves of him.

He still has sabotage leverage, but that will diminish after the mid-terms. Then in 2024 the Republican party will have the opportunity to rid themselves of him.
Keep wishing and hoping and praying lol.

Keep wishing and hoping and praying lol.

Apart from having to see his ugly grin again, I'm actually quite happy with him running in the Republican primaries. Even if he wins those primaries.

Look at the man's hair, he's a soufflé. And a soufflé does not rise twice!

Apart from having to see his ugly grin again, I'm actually quite happy with him running in the Republican primaries. Even if he wins those primaries.

Look at the man's hair, he's a soufflé. And a soufflé does not rise twice!
Im not…. I just want him gone permanently…. I dont quite think of this as a game.

Some questions:

1. CAN Trump do it?
2. WOULD Trump do it?

As an American id love to see Trump run as an independent. This would force the GOP to abandon the craziness and assure a Dem sweep.

As an American id love to see Trump run as an independent.

Me too. How to trick him into it, though?

This would force the GOP to abandon the craziness and assure a Dem sweep.

But he would have no followers any more. Democrats aren't going to give him credit.

BTW, I avoided the word "sweep" because as I imagine it playing out, Trump would not have time to arrange a party and candidates for Congress. The most to hope for is that his followers don't vote down the ticket at all.

I suppose that we'll see.

I suppose that we'll see.

His behaviour AFTER losing the 2020 election will be damning.

However back to Romney. His two votes to remove Trump mean he probably can't win the general in 2024. Too many Republicans will stay home, meaning lost votes down the ticket too. Republicans who know this, even if they admire Romney for taking that stand, will be loathe to nominate him.

A lot of Democrats felt that way about Bernie too. He'd be great IF he could win a general, but it's a big IF.

Not sure why I changed the subject to Romney. I don't think he has a chance since Trumper's hate him.

There's a lot of talk about deSantis. But too much overlap between his base and Trump's, so if Trump isn't winning but won't drop out, we may be spared both of them.

Trump is not going to run. He will not risk another loss.
If the Republicans take both Houses of Congress in the upcoming Election he will run again and he will not lose, no risk will be involved.

I firmly believe he will run again no matter what.

He has nothing to lose and EVERYTHING to gain.

Even if he were to lose the Electoral College again it isn't as if he will lose any opportunity to keep grifting every dollar he can.

Another scam-ortunity?
I suppose. He might threaten to start one just to blackmail Republicans who are ready to be rid of him.

If the Republicans take both Houses of Congress in the upcoming Election he will run again and he will not lose, no risk will be involved.

I firmly believe he will run again no matter what.

He has nothing to lose and EVERYTHING to gain.

Even if he were to lose the Electoral College again it isn't as if he will lose any opportunity to keep grifting every dollar he can.
He loses the most important thing to him, he loses face. His biggest fear is to be known as a loser. I think the last thing the american people would do especially if the gop takes the house and senate is to give the white house to trump. I can't even begin to imagine the chaos.

Another scam-ortunity?
What do miners do when a vein has played out?

They find another vein and begin anew!
He loses the most important thing to him, he loses face. His biggest fear is to be known as a loser. I think the last thing the american people would do especially if the gop takes the house and senate is to give the white house to trump. I can't even begin to imagine the chaos.
He TOTALLY is in denial of "losing face" or perhaps is in sheer egotistical possession of the faculties to not be aware of when and where he has "lost face." That concept does not appear to exist in his mind or if it does he squashes it so well that it is never troublesome for him. He just creates a new reality that hides, totally obliterates what would in anyone else, cause immense "lost face".

Back
Top Bottom