• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Vote for Trump? These Republican Leaders Aren’t on the Bandwagon.

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Vote for Trump? These Republican Leaders Aren’t on the Bandwagon

06biden-repubs1-facebookJumbo-scaled.jpg

Former President George W. Bush and his wife, Laura. He will not support President Trump’s re-election.

6/7/20
The 2020 campaign is different: Opposing the sitting president of your own party means putting policy priorities at risk, in this case appointing conservative judges, sustaining business-friendly regulations and cutting taxes — as well as incurring the volcanic wrath of Mr. Trump. But, far sooner than they expected, growing numbers of prominent Republicans are debating how far to go in revealing that they won’t back his re-election — or might even vote for Joseph R. Biden Jr., the presumptive Democratic nominee. They’re feeling a fresh urgency because of Mr. Trump’s incendiary response to the protests of police brutality, atop his mishandling of the coronavirus pandemic, according to people who spoke on the condition of anonymity to disclose private discussions. Former President George W. Bush won’t support the re-election of Mr. Trump, and Jeb Bush isn’t sure how he’ll vote, say people familiar with their thinking. Senator Mitt Romney of Utah won’t back Mr. Trump and is deliberating whether to again write in his wife, Ann, or cast another ballot this November. And Cindy McCain, the widow of Senator John McCain, is almost certain to support Mr. Biden but is unsure how public to be about it because one of her sons is eying a run for office.

None of them voted for Mr. Trump in 2016, but the reproach of big Republican names carries a different weight when an incumbent president and his shared agenda with Senate leaders are on the line. Mr. Biden himself, while eager to win support across party lines, intends to roll out his “Republicans for Biden” coalition later in the campaign, after fully consolidating his own party, according to Democrats familiar with the campaign’s planning. Former Defense Secretary Jim Mattis’s blistering criticism of Mr. Trump and the admission this week by Senator Lisa Murkowski of Alaska that she is “struggling” with whether to vote for the sitting president of her own party have intensified the soul-searching taking place, forcing a number of officials to reckon with an act that they have long avoided: stating out loud that Mr. Trump is unfit for office. “This fall, it’s time for new leadership in this country — Republican, Democrat or independent,” said William H. McRaven, the retired Navy admiral who directed the raid that killed Osama bin Laden. “President Trump has shown he doesn’t have the qualities necessary to be a good commander in chief.”

I believe this demographic is growing. Most play coy and will not openly say who they will vote for, only saying that it will not be Donald Trump receiving their vote on November 3.

The narrative Trump and his supporters have pushed and will continue to push is that Bush, Powell, Matthis, and anyone else who dares to criticize Trump or his policies must be a secret Democrat.

It's bizarre that they're helping drive a wedge even further in their own party, but I think we should let them do it. I for one love watching Republicans eat Republicans.

What's that? Two or three Republicans not gonna vote for Trump?

It doesn't matter. It's all gonna come down to how under control the virus is and how well the economy is doing. If you guy's had a capable opponent it would all be over already.

What's that? Two or three Republicans not gonna vote for Trump?

It doesn't matter. It's all gonna come down to how under control the virus is and how well the economy is doing. If you guy's had a capable opponent it would all be over already.

I'm glad that even you admit only someone incompetent could lose to someone as awful as Trump. Quite a change towards a defeatist tone for you.

Former President George W. Bush and his wife, Laura. He will not support President Trump’s re-election.

I believe this demographic is growing. Most play coy and will not openly say who they will vote for, only saying that it will not be Donald Trump receiving their vote on November 3.

"Mr. Trump won election in 2016, of course, in spite of a parade of Republicans and retired military officers who refused to support him. Far more current G.O.P. elected officials are publicly backing Mr. Trump than did four years ago. Among his unwavering supporters are Republican leaders like Mitch McConnell, the Senate majority leader, and past foes like Senators Ted Cruz and Lindsey Graham. And polls today indicate that rank-and-file Republicans are squarely behind the president, although that is in part because some Republicans who can’t abide Mr. Trump now align with independents."

I'm glad that even you admit only someone incompetent could lose to someone as awful as Trump. Quite a change towards a defeatist tone for you.

Whether an admission or a statement of fact, the opposition is incompetent ... as you inferred.
As someone just said "Quite a change towards a defeatist tone for you".
Was it an admission or a statement of fact?

Powell said he supports Biden.
“I certainly cannot, in any way, support President Trump this year,” Powell said Sunday on CNN’s “State of the Union.” “We have a Constitution and we have to follow that Constitution and the president has drifted away from it.”
I don't know if he was asked to explain the ways "the president has drifted away from it [the Constitution]". That would have been interesting.
Anyone see it?

Last edited:
The narrative Trump and his supporters have pushed and will continue to push is that Bush, Powell, Matthis, and anyone else who dares to criticize Trump or his policies must be a secret Democrat.

It's bizarre that they're helping drive a wedge even further in their own party, but I think we should let them do it. I for one love watching Republicans eat Republicans.

I can't read their minds, but I make up my own mind.

Trump is far and away the best president since the great Ronald Reagan, and throwing out a few names won't change my mind.

I don't know if he was asked to explain the ways "the president has drifted away from it [the Constitution]".

Quite an understatement by Powell.

The "demographic" you're pointing out are the neocons and never Trumpers that brought us the Iraq debacle. They didn't support him in 2016 and that wont change. The Bush's and Clintons are thick as thieves and well entrenched establishment politicians. To them it ain't about party as much as it is about the establishment. The last thing they want is an outsider to upset the apple cart. Nothing changes unless an outsider is in the WH. That's why there has been such viscous politics being played. The MSM, establishment pols and the deep state will fight any outsiders that disrupt their comfort zone and gravy train. Their sustained 3 1/2 year attack is not only to take down Trump by any means, but to also serve notice to any other outsider that would otherwise entertain the idea of running for president.

The "demographic" you're pointing out are the neocons and never Trumpers that brought us the Iraq debacle. They didn't support him in 2016 and that wont change. The Bush's and Clintons are thick as thieves and well entrenched establishment politicians. To them it ain't about party as much as it is about the establishment. The last thing they want is an outsider to upset the apple cart. Nothing changes unless an outsider is in the WH. That's why there has been such viscous politics being played. The MSM, establishment pols and the deep state will fight any outsiders that disrupt their comfort zone and gravy train. Their sustained 3 1/2 year attack is not only to take down Trump by any means, but to also serve notice to any other outsider that would otherwise entertain the idea of running for president.

Right. Whatever enables you to sleep at night.

So many good and true Republicans will not vote for Trump this fall.

Quite an understatement by Powell.

Maybe so. But I'd still like to hear what particular drifting he was referring to.

btw ... I've heard a Federalist Journalist on TV claim that Powell hasn't voted for a Republican Presidential nominee since 2004 sooooooooo........

Back
Top Bottom