• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Vote Endorses Muslim Center Near Ground Zero

The_Penguin

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
After a raucous hearing, a Manhattan community board backed a proposal on Tuesday evening to build a Muslim community center near the World Trade Center.

The 29-to-1 vote, with 10 abstentions, followed a four-hour back-and-forth between those who said the community center would be a monument to tolerance and those who believed it would be an affront to victims of the 2001 terrorist attacks.

The board’s vote was advisory — it did not have the power to scrap plans for a center — but it was seen as an important barometer of community sentiment.

-snip-

Local Board Endorses Muslim Center Near Ground Zero - NYTimes.com

"The board’s vote was advisory — it did not have the power to scrap plans for a center — but it was seen as an important barometer of community sentiment."

By who? In what alternate universe does a local community board reflect the thoughts of anyone other than the few dozen busybodies who decided to run for it?

Not that I really care either way, but seriously, come on.

I really cannot understand how this place would be considered an "affront"

Only in terms of the affront to reason in opening yet another religious centre dispensing delusions, whatever the brand.

I'm sorry, this is just a dumb, bad idea. PC is gonna kill us.

THOSE of Islam that back terrorism, will use this to show how weak the West is, it's a propaganda coup of.. Koranic proportions.

Forget any other consideration, that alone, should be enough to say "Guys, yeah, YOUR intention might be all good and well, but no, let's use a tad bit of common sense here"

I'm sorry, this is just a dumb, bad idea. PC is gonna kill us.

THOSE of Islam that back terrorism, will use this to show how weak the West is, it's a propaganda coup of.. Koranic proportions.

Forget any other consideration, that alone, should be enough to say "Guys, yeah, YOUR intention might be all good and well, but no, let's use a tad bit of common sense here"

It's a "dumb, bad idea" for the government not to step in and prevent a private entity from building a facility on private property?

Back
Top Bottom