• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Volunteering ---> Computer Advice

Centrist

Banned
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Looking for some other things to fill my time with as I am very active on the computer:

Do you have a computer/software issue? Can't afford to pay a tech?

Please reply to this for a free advice or you can send me a private message with your issue.

Don't include any personal information or computer information, I just need a description of the issue and I will provide you with a solution in writing.

Thank you and have a good day.

What is your opinion on ram speed vs capacity? I upgraded my ram from 14GB @ 1600 for 16GB at what was supposed to be 1600, but without XMP support on my motherboard, only runs at 1333. I've left it at 16@1333 but wonder if I'm losing any appreciable performance in gaming. Everything is crammed in there real tight so swapping ram back and forth to actually test each wasn't my first choice.

What is your opinion on ram speed vs capacity? I upgraded my ram from 14GB @ 1600 for 16GB at what was supposed to be 1600, but without XMP support on my motherboard, only runs at 1333. I've left it at 16@1333 but wonder if I'm losing any appreciable performance in gaming. Everything is crammed in there real tight so swapping ram back and forth to actually test each wasn't my first choice.
The amount of RAM is more important to a point. After that, you start experiencing reduced returns. It depends on your unique conditions.

Did you test it ? I am afraid to say -> to find out specifically for what you are running -> to find how it reacts you will need to do the practical work.

The amount of RAM you have is more important to a point. After that, you start experiencing reduced returns. It depends on your unique conditions.

Did you test it ? I am afraid to say -> to find out specifically for what you are running -> to find how it reacts you will need to do the practical work.
I've put off actually testing it, as I'm not sure what the best method would be (synthetic benchmarks, actual in game fps averages?), and the way my motherboard is filled, it's a bit of a headache to swap ram. I'd want to have a solid idea of how to test before I put in the time to swap.

I spent a few minutes going around different websites reminding myself some things as I spent all these years in the software land:

---> It appears the majority people say: Capacity above all else for sure. There are a few though that say there are certain, I will call them rare conditions depending on the type of the processor which it can be the other way.

Tip of the day:

A quiet free antivirus that can be set for your device is AVG Antivirus:

When installing it please make sure you unselect the side softwares being offered and the toolbars. After you install it you can set it to run in quiet mode.

What processor and chipset do you have? Some CPUs are very RAM speed dependant. And how did you have 14GB?

What processor and chipset do you have? Some CPUs are very RAM speed dependant. And how did you have 14GB?
i7-4790k and q87 chipset. It's a Dell Optiplex 9020 mt, so most advanced bios options are unavailable. When I bought it, it had 4x4x4x2gb mismatched ddr3 1600 (Hynix and Samsung I think), so I got 4x4x4x4 Corsair Vengeance 1600.

Tip of the day:

Do you have a relative which lives far away and their software skills are not that great?

What if they run into an issue and don't know how to fix?

You can help them via TeamViewer which is cloud-based platform with intuitive features to securely and remotely access, control and support any device, across platforms — from anywhere, anytime.

You get to see their full screen and can operate their mouse from your home.

i7-4790k and q87 chipset. It's a Dell Optiplex 9020 mt, so most advanced bios options are unavailable. When I bought it, it had 4x4x4x2gb mismatched ddr3 1600 (Hynix and Samsung I think), so I got 4x4x4x4 Corsair Vengeance 1600.
Based on this your old RAM was likely running in single channel mode. So you're better off now.

Tip of the day:

Password Do’s and Don’ts
  1. Create unique passwords that that use a combination of words, numbers, symbols, and both upper- and lower-case letters.

2. Do not use your network username as your password.

3. Don’t use easily guessed passwords, such as “password” or “user.”

4. Do not choose passwords based upon details that may not be as confidential as you’d expect, such as your birth date, your Social Security or phone number, or names of family members.

5. Do not use words that can be found in the dictionary. Password-cracking tools freely available online often come with dictionary lists that will try thousands of common names and passwords. If you must use dictionary words, try adding a numeral to them, as well as punctuation at the beginning or end of the word (or both!).

6. Avoid using simple adjacent keyboard combinations: For example, “qwerty” and “asdzxc” and “123456” are horrible passwords and that are trivial to crack.

7. Some of the easiest-to-remember passwords aren’t words at all but collections of words that form a phrase or sentence, perhaps the opening sentence to your favorite novel, or the opening line to a good joke. Complexity is nice, but length is key. It used to be the case that picking an alphanumeric password that was 8-10 characters in length was a pretty good practice. These days, it’s increasingly affordable to build extremely powerful and fast password cracking tools that can try tens of millions of possible password combinations per second. Just remember that each character you add to a password or passphrase makes it an order of magnitude harder to attack via brute-force methods.

8. Avoid using the same password at multiple Web sites. It’s generally safe to re-use the same password at sites that do not store sensitive information about you (like a news Web site) provided you don’t use this same password at sites that are sensitive.

9. Never use the password you’ve picked for your email account at any online site: If you do, and an e-commerce site you are registered at gets hacked, there’s a good chance someone will be reading your e-mail soon.

10. Whatever you do, don’t store your list of passwords on your computer in plain text. My views on the advisability of keeping a written list of your passwords have evolved over time. I tend to agree with noted security experts Bruce Schneier, when he advises users not to worry about writing down passwords. Just make sure you don’t store the information in plain sight. The most secure method for remembering your passwords is to create a list of every Web site for which you have a password and next to each one write your login name and a clue that has meaning only for you. If you forget your password, most Web sites will email it to you (assuming you can remember which email address you signed up with).

11. One thing to note about password storage in Firefox: If you have not enabled and assigned a “master password” to manage your passwords in Firefox, anyone with physical access to your computer and user account can view the stored passwords in plain text, simply by clicking “Options,” and then “Show Passwords.” To protect your passwords from local prying eyes, drop a check mark into the box next to “Use Master Password” at the main Options page, and choose a strong password that only you can remember. You will then be prompted to enter the master password once per session when visiting a site that uses one of your stored passwords.

12. There are several online third-party services that can help users safeguard sensitive passwords, including LastPass, DashLane, and 1Password that store passwords in the cloud and secure them all with a master password. If entrusting all your passwords to the cloud gives you the creeps, consider using a local password storage program on your computer, such as Roboform, PasswordSafe or Keepass. Again, take care to pick a strong master password, but one that you can remember; just as with the Firefox master password option, if you forget the master password you are pretty much out of luck.
via Krebsonsecurity

Tip of the day:

Surf the web with no annoying ads

Adblock Plus is a free extension that allows you to customize your web experience. You can block annoying ads, disable tracking, and lots more. It’s available for all major desktop browsers and for your mobile devices.

The website is:

7.png

Tip of the day:

Looking for an efficient multimedia player?
VLC can help you.

VLC media player is a free and open-source, portable, cross-platform media player software and streaming media server developed by the VideoLAN project. VLC is available for desktop operating systems and mobile platforms, such as Android, iOS and iPadOS.

VLC Media Player.jpg

Tip of the day:

Looking for anonymity online? Tor Browser can help you.

Tor, short for The Onion Router, is free and open-source software for enabling anonymous communication.

It directs Internet traffic through a free, worldwide, volunteer overlay network, consisting of more than six thousand relays, to conceal a user's location and usage from anyone performing network surveillance or traffic analysis.

Using Tor makes it more difficult to trace a user's Internet activity. Tor's intended use is to protect the personal privacy of its users, as well as their freedom and ability to communicate confidentially by keeping their Internet activities unmonitored.

Looking for some other things to fill my time with as I am very active on the computer:

Do you have a computer/software issue? Can't afford to pay a tech?

Please reply to this for a free advice or you can send me a private message with your issue.

Don't include any personal information or computer information, I just need a description of the issue and I will provide you with a solution in writing.

Thank you and have a good day.

THIS MORNING
BLInitialization Library FAILED

Can't even get to SAFE MODE, stuck on the error message.

THIS MORNING
BLInitialization Library FAILED

Can't even get to SAFE MODE, stuck on the error message.
Hello, try going into BIOS:
  • Secure boot is enabled – Secure boot is an extra layer of protection against malware and rootkits, but it’s known to cause a wide array of other problems, including this particular error. If you’re using a cloned SSD / HDD or overclocked frequencies, expect to see this error during the startup sequence. In this case, the issue should be resolved by disabling Secure boot via BIOS / UEFI settings.

Other solutions (if the above does not work) and a full article here:

Hello, try going into BIOS:
  • Secure boot is enabled – Secure boot is an extra layer of protection against malware and rootkits, but it’s known to cause a wide array of other problems, including this particular error. If you’re using a cloned SSD / HDD or overclocked frequencies, expect to see this error during the startup sequence. In this case, the issue should be resolved by disabling Secure boot via BIOS / UEFI settings.

Other solutions (if the above does not work) and a full article here:

I tried, couldn't even figure out where "secure boot" even is.
This rig is eight years old so I don't intend to try to repair it.
I was hoping I would find a BIOS button to magically smack it upside the head.

No overclocking and no cloned HDD.

I tried, couldn't even figure out where "secure boot" even is.
This rig is eight years old so I don't intend to try to repair it.
I was hoping I would find a BIOS button to magically smack it upside the head.

No overclocking and no cloned HDD.
Sorry, I am confused so you did access BIOS?

In order to access BIOS on a Windows PC, you must press your BIOS key set by your manufacturer which could be F10, F2, F12, F1, or DEL.

after that this video will show you where the boot function is:

Tip of the day:

Using the Snipping tool. The Snipping Tool is a Microsoft Windows screenshot utility included in Windows Vista and later.

It can take still screenshots of an open window, rectangular areas, a free-form area, or the entire screen. I use it myself daily on this board. It is an easier option than the print screen option.

Below is a video on how to use the tool:

Tip of the day:

Tricks for Typing. Here are a few tips that will save you lots of time when typing documents:
  1. Move the cursor quicker to the beginning of the previous word by pressing CTRL+Left Arrow, instead of doing it manually.
  2. To get the cursor to the beginning of the next word, use CTRL+Right Arrow.
  3. Recover a deleted item with ALT+Backspace.
  4. Delete an entire word by pressing CTRL+Backspace.
  5. Select a word you want to highlight quickly, without dragging the mouse, by double-clicking on it.
  6. Highlight a whole paragraph by triple-clicking on it.
  7. Make superscript and subtext by pressing CTRL + = for sub, and CTRL+ Shift for superscript.
  8. Paste in plain text and not what was originally formatted, after copying, by pressing CTRL + Shift + V.|

via Intivix

Tip of the day:

How to Disable Startup Programs in Windows

The more software you install on your computer, the longer it may seem to take to start up Windows. Many programs add themselves to the list of programs started when you boot your computer, and that list can get long.

The article below will show you how to disable startup programs in every Windows version:

Tip of the day:

Optimize your Android device

Phone Cleaner - Cache Cleaner. Phone Cleaner is a professional cleaning and boosting app for Android, which has functions of junk file cleaner, memory booster, CPU cooling, app manager, notification cleaner, and battery saving. Fast phone booster and smart cache cleaner.

Tip of the day:

Lock your computer

Windows key + L

This is a great tip for anyone, anywhere to use. Whenever you leave your computer, hit the Windows Key and L to lock it. Hopefully, you have some sort of passcode protecting your device ...

Tip of the day:

Undo an action

Almost every Windows app supports at least a simple, one-step Undo.

To undo an action you just performed in Windows,
press Ctrl + Z on your keyboard.

Back
Top Bottom