• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Volunteering ---> Computer Advice

Tip of the day:

Unfreeze your computer

Control+Alt+Delete

is the keyboard combination in Windows that enables a user to terminate an unresponsive application. When all three keys are pressed at the same time, the Task Manager utility, which displays all open apps, can be selected from a menu. The Task Manager also enables the user to shut down the computer.

Tip of the day:

Password Do’s and Don’ts

I'm going to pull up my soap box and yell - "Hear me, Hear me!!!" because this is a really important topic. I'll try not to repeat the above to much.

Background
My wife and I are retired military and had to access multiple computer systems on active duty, now we are in white-collar jobs and both of use have to maintain user ID's and passwords for many, many programs, web sites, applications, etc. in addition to the dozens and dozens in our personal life in this digital world. (I currently track over 160 different accounts, User ID's, and passwords for work and personal stuff.)

It's very easy to fall into the "User Friendly" password trap. By user friendly trap I mean:
  • Using the same password for everything. Easy to remember but let it get compromised on one system and the hacker now has access to everything.
  • On the other hand if you try to have "user friendly" password but different ones for different things, pretty quickly it is hard to keep track of what password goes where and then "are the User ID's different"?

So for a number of years we each maintained our password lists in a password protected Excel file with columns for Description, User ID, Password, Web Address/URL, and Comments (answers to security questions). That worked OK, but it was up to us to make sure the same file existed on our work computer, work laptop, home desktop, home laptop, and phone. And yes the files being different bit me in the ass more than once.

Password Manager Software
Years ago we bought separate licenses for 1Password and I have to say it is my #1 computer utility bar none. These days they mostly advertise their software using a SAAS model (Subscription as a Service) but you can still get individual licenses if you dig. If you go with the subscription model it is well worth it as they use very strong encryption and sync your passwords across all devices seamlessly. We have individual licenses and achieve the same result by sync'ing our "vaults" through Dropbox. So not only do we get the strong encryption via Drobox, the individual vault files themselves have very strong encryption. And with a family plan you can have different "vaults" for different people so it can really work well for Mom, Dad, College kids, grandparents, etc.

From a user standpoint the fact that my passwords sync across all devices is wonderful. Add a login or change a password on my desktop and it's instantly available on my phone.

Password Logins
The base login record in 1Password provides for Web Address/URL, Descriptive Name, User ID, Password, and a notes section for each individual entry which is free text. You can put any text you want and this is where I track security questions and the correct answer because security questions do no good if you don't remember "exactly" how you answered it to begin with. Did you type in "123 Elm Street", "123 Elm St", "123 Elm St.", "Elm Street", "Elm St" or "Elm St."? Because it's right there you know the answer.

With password manager software EVERY login can have it's own unique password - THAT YOU DON'T HAVE TO REMEMBER. You just copy it from the software and paste it into the login box. No more single password for everything or different user friendly password that you forgot which goes with which. Each and every password can be unique and quite complex. You can generate passwords like "LcqMihw$UB%J6j4yAL" and then copy/paste as needed. (Actually there is a button that when on the password field of a web page, click it and it autofill's the password for you. Most times you don't even need to copy and paste.)

Cont...

Cont...

Password Manager Other Users
1Password is the one I use, and it has other "categories" of entries also.
  • "Wallet" where you can store information on credit cards and financial accounts.
  • "Accounts" for any contact information, account numbers, address, phones, etc. for any account you want.
  • "Secure Notes" for any general text information you want to track. For example I have notes here on every address we ever lived at, dates, and applicable phone numbers at the time. I have separate set of notes on my home network configuration including network names, settings, passwords, IP address ranges, etc. I have one for each family member with important information such as birthdays, SSNs for my kids, even have their school locker and bike combinations. Just a good general "hey I may need this again in the future area".
  • "Software" You know those pesky software activation keys you get that if you ever have to reinstall later you need the key code for. Well I don't have to go find the original paperwork anymore, it's all right here.
  • "Identity" - Basically a contact list.
MASTER PASSWORD
So you will have one password to access your password manager software, and if you ever forget it, ya you can be royally screwed so be very careful with it. As I said my wife and I have our own individual licenses. I have the master password to her vault in my system and she has mine. In addition out adult daughter has our master passwords if anything were to happen to us together. I keep my wife's phone code in mine and she has mine in hers if something happened to either of us. But that master password is the ONLY one you will ever have to remember.
I highly recommend getting a password manager.

WW

Cont...

Password Manager Other Users
1Password is the one I use, and it has other "categories" of entries also.
  • "Wallet" where you can store information on credit cards and financial accounts.
  • "Accounts" for any contact information, account numbers, address, phones, etc. for any account you want.
  • "Secure Notes" for any general text information you want to track. For example I have notes here on every address we ever lived at, dates, and applicable phone numbers at the time. I have separate set of notes on my home network configuration including network names, settings, passwords, IP address ranges, etc. I have one for each family member with important information such as birthdays, SSNs for my kids, even have their school locker and bike combinations. Just a good general "hey I may need this again in the future area".
  • "Software" You know those pesky software activation keys you get that if you ever have to reinstall later you need the key code for. Well I don't have to go find the original paperwork anymore, it's all right here.
  • "Identity" - Basically a contact list.
MASTER PASSWORD
So you will have one password to access your password manager software, and if you ever forget it, ya you can be royally screwed so be very careful with it. As I said my wife and I have our own individual licenses. I have the master password to her vault in my system and she has mine. In addition out adult daughter has our master passwords if anything were to happen to us together. I keep my wife's phone code in mine and she has mine in hers if something happened to either of us. But that master password is the ONLY one you will ever have to remember.
I highly recommend getting a password manager.

WW
Excellent information. Thank you for sharing.

Tip of the day:

Different ways to take a screenshot on Windows 10 and Windows 11

The Print Screen button
The Windows key + Print Screen
The Snip & Sketch tool (see post #20)
Third-party screenshot apps for Windows

Full article:

Tip of the day:

Don't Click On Strange Links

1. Asking for Personal Information is a Red Flag
2. Check the Sender’s E-Mail Address
3. Watch for Links and Attachments
4. Typos Are a Red Flag
5. When In Doubt, Contact the Supposed Sender
6. Install Security Software and Be Smart About Passwords

Full article with the explanations for each:

Tip of the day:

Speed things up in Windows

If your PC is running slowly, the suggestions in the article will help you speed things up. The tips are listed in order, so start with the first one, see if that helps, and then continue to the next one if it doesn’t.

The Microsoft support website provides solutions for both Windows 10 and Windows 11:

Tip of the day:

How to protect your privacy online

Worried about how much of your private information is on the internet and vulnerable to theft or misuse? You’re not alone. Online privacy is an important issue.

But there are steps you can take to help manage and protect your financial and personal information while you visit your favorite social media, news, and entertainment sites.

Tip of the day:

Defragment and Optimize Drives

1. Open Disk Defragmenter by clicking the Start button. In the search box, type Disk Defragmenter, and then, in the list of results, click on "Defragment and Optimize Drives".

2. Select the disk you want to defragment.

3. To determine if the disk needs to be defragmented or not, click Analyze disk. Administrator permission required If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

4. Once Windows is finished analyzing the disk, you can check the percentage of fragmentation on the disk in the Last Run column. If the number is above 10%, you should defragment the disk.

5. Click Defragment disk. Administrator permission required If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

6. Disk Defragmenter might take from several minutes to a few hours to finish, depending on the size and degree of fragmentation of your hard disk. You can still use your computer during the defragmentation process.

Tip of the day:

Recover Deleted Files in Windows

Recuva is an undeletion program for Windows, developed by Piriform. It is able to undelete files that have been marked as deleted; the operating system marks the areas of the disk in which they were stored as free space.

This is a great technology channel dedicated to covering a variety of topics in several tech categories. They also do tutorials, reviews, and best-of lists covering Windows 10, Android, iOS, Streaming Devices, and the latest in computing, technology software, and hardware.

(y)

Tip of the day:

Different ways to take a screenshot on Windows 10 and Windows 11

The Print Screen button
The Windows key + Print Screen
The Snip & Sketch tool (see post #20)
Third-party screenshot apps for Windows

Full article:

There is also Alt + Print Screen while you are in application of your choice. That will print only the window of your application

I also suggest Windows users to try productivity tool Power Toys:

I suggest using O&O ShutUp if you are a Windows user:

It safely stops all of the unneeded background services from running when you start your computer. It literally gave me several hours of extra battery life on my laptops and made things much faster. It also has an option to choose which services to keep or not and the option to return all settings to what they were.

It is the first thing I run after resetting a computer and it is portable so you don't have to install anything.

Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom