• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Volunteer interviews

Glowpun

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Hi,

I have an interview for a volunteer job as an advocate for the elderly. Do I need to dress up for this interview as though it were for a paying job?

Hi,

I have an interview for a volunteer job as an advocate for the elderly. Do I need to dress up for this interview as though it were for a paying job?

Of course you do. Jesus, why would you even have to ask that question? Grow up.

Business casual at minimum. Khakis and button front. Suit would be better.
It doesn't matter what it pays, you are presenting yourself in support of others.

Depends on where he is I guess, around here it would be shorts and flip flops.

And in the volunteer positions I've been involved on both sides of the fence, he wouldn't get the position.
Attitude, it is very important.

Hi,

good question
dress in a manner similar to the way in which the person who interviews you will be dressed
with any luck, that will not involve wearing a paisley shirt with plaid trousers ...

Hi,

Dress one step higher than they dress every day in the office. If the office is causal, you dress business casual. If the office dressed business casual every day, then you dress business. etc.

Hi,

Dress for the job...

Dress one step higher than they dress every day in the office. If the office is causal, you dress business casual. If the office dressed business casual every day, then you dress business. etc.

Uhm, what is the definition of "business casual"? I noticed that in that office the employees there are very casually dressed i.e., no suits/ties for the men and women are not dressed in "high fashion" business attire. So I guess I don't need to wear Brooks Brothers style or haute couture? Maybe something well coordinated and neatly pressed clothes will do?

Something I've always remembered.

Dress for the position you want eventually, don't dress for the position you're in.

If you go into an interview and wear shorts, sandals and a button up shirt, not only will you look like you're not taking the job seriously, you will be viewed as a person who does the bare butt minimum.

This goes for volunteer work or paid work.

Dress in a way that others get the impression you are self confident, driven and know what you're doing.
You don't get a second chance to make a first impression.

Put a tie on, you can't overdress for a job interview......well if you dress like Liberace, it probably won't go well. :lol:

Uhm, what is the definition of "business casual"?

I noticed that in that office the employees there are very casually dressed i.e., no suits/ties for the men and women are not dressed in "high fashion" business attire. So I guess I don't need to wear Brooks Brothers style or haute couture? Maybe something well coordinated and neatly pressed clothes will do?
The last interview I had where the office was totaly casual and informal, I wore jeans and a nice polo un-tucked. I was hired.

:doh Dress to the quality of the product you are presenting. You being the product. Visit any retail outlet and view the merchandise. Packaging is of extreme import.

Back
Top Bottom