• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

(Vocabulary) Are you demisexual?

TheParser

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
I have just added a new word to my vocabulary: demisexual.

I wanted to pass it on in case you do not know its meaning.

The source says: "A demisexual person simply does not feel attraction until after a strong emotional bond has formed."

And: "Demisexuality presents the challenge of never feeling any sexual feelings at all until you've experienced many months of platonic friendship."

Source: The "Ask Amy" column in the Los Angeles Times (print edition) January 30, 2019.

P.S. "Amy" emphasizes that demisexuality is MORE "than merely being 'old-fashioned' and courting for long periods before having sex."

Apparently not

The source says: "A demisexual person simply does not feel attraction until after a strong emotional bond has formed."

And: "Demisexuality presents the challenge of never feeling any sexual feelings at all until you've experienced many months of platonic friendship."

Source: The "Ask Amy" column in the Los Angeles Times (print edition) January 30, 2019.

P.S. "Amy" emphasizes that demisexuality is MORE "than merely being 'old-fashioned' and courting for long periods before having sex."

It sounds more like an affliction than a lifestyle. It also denies what nature has endowed us with to propagate the species. I imagine that for most of our existence those afflicted with this syndrome would have died out.

I use to be. I watched a certain scene in About Last Night a dozen times, but I didn't care to watch Striptease.

Google ”shakers.”

Some have been cheating!

nope.

We used to call that low testosterone in the 70s...

Seems pointless to make up such words to me. It isn't really a sexual orientation seeing as you can be heterosexual homosexual or bisexual and still be demisexual. So I'm not really sure what it describes.

Well, OK.

But what about hang-gliding?

No, that's not me. I identify as pansexual, which is another little known and commonly misunderstood sexuality term.

Seems pointless to make up such words to me. It isn't really a sexual orientation seeing as you can be heterosexual homosexual or bisexual and still be demisexual. So I'm not really sure what it describes.

It isn't a sexual orientation. It's an adjective that describes the sexual behavior of people.

No, that's not me. I identify as pansexual, which is another little known and commonly misunderstood sexuality term.

I checked the definition on the Web.

Thank you for introducing that term to me.

Is that something like "gender fluid"?

I checked the definition on the Web.

Thank you for introducing that term to me.

Is that something like "gender fluid"?

No, gender fluid relates to a person not consistently identifying with a single gender. I consistently identify as male. I just am not attracted to a single other gender, gender identity, or sexual orientation. The vocabulary has exploded in recent decades, but I applaud you for expanding yours and sharing newer terms with the rest of us.

No I pop a chubby at pretty much anything hot that comes along.

Yeah even as an old fart I haven't changed much in that regard aside from having a healthy outlet called a superb marriage partner to channel all that energy into. If I was still single at this age I'd be a "dirty old geezer".

It is fortunate for me that I am not, as I am not enamored of what passes for the dating scene these days, and the more of it I see for people my age (through my recently divorced sister in law) the nuttier it seems to be.

I am definitely not demisexual. I love all the boys, some just sexually, some for a lot more than that.

As a gay dude, I'm really tired of adding all the letters to our string. LGBTQQIAA is really hard to say. Last I heard there were more letters added but I haven't even bothered to learn them. I'll stick with QUILTBAG which is just as annoying but easier to say.

In your opinion, what's the difference between pansexual and bisexual? Does it boil down to bisexuals generally like cisgender people, whereas pansexuality is that gender identification is completely irrelevant?

I am definitely not demisexual. I love all the boys, some just sexually, some for a lot more than that.

As a gay dude, I'm really tired of adding all the letters to our string. LGBTQQIAA is really hard to say. Last I heard there were more letters added but I haven't even bothered to learn them. I'll stick with QUILTBAG which is just as annoying but easier to say.

In your opinion, what's the difference between pansexual and bisexual? Does it boil down to bisexuals generally like cisgender people, whereas pansexuality is that gender identification is completely irrelevant?

Quiltbag is funny, haven't heard that one before

Notice how we keep inventing new words in the service of talking about how we are different, that is what we want to talk about, I say harp about.

This is not a great idea as any educated cant help but to know.

In my opinion, bisexuality refers to cisgender people who are open to having romantic and/or sexual relationships with cisgender people of male and female sexes. Pansexuality, as much as it refers to me, refers to people who identify as any gender, as that might sometimes change, who might have sexual and/or romantic relationships with people who not only identify themselves as any gender but who also engage in those relationships with people who have any gender and sexual orientation.

What I'm saying is not very unlike what you said, but I think it's more refined. What do you think?

Are you demisexual?

Well, if the lady is hot enough, no.

As for "two baggers," well I can't really say. I haven't yet found myself attracted to any, but then neither have I developed a strong emotional bond with any. LOL

And to those of you who may, based on the above, call me shallow, I have only to say this: My, how astute of you. When it comes to women and their looks and what I'm attracted to, I've been shallow as hell all my life, and I like it that way. All the women in my life have been equally shallow, and, you know, we're all just fine with that.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom