• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Vladimir Putin grants former NSA contractor Edward Snowden Russian citizenship

Chomsky

Social Democrat
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Russian President Vladimir Putin has granted former NSA contractor Edward Snowden Russian citizenship, according to an official decree published on the Russian government portal Monday.

The 39-year-old has been living in exile in Moscow after initially traveling to Hong Kong following his 2013 public disclosure of the classified information. He is facing up to 30 years in prison in the US.

--

Interesting to note I suppose, given all that Putin's got his hands full with.

I suppose it begs the question:

"Does Snowden now become liable to RU military mobilization?"

Imagine the irony? Or perhaps, would that be getting one's 'just deserts'?

He’s not in their military reserves, so I would imagine not.

He’s not in their military reserves, so I would imagine not.

At this time, yes - I agree.

I'm still wondering if he'd be liable in a general mobilization? No idea how dual citizenship would affect that, but then Putin does with his charges whatever he want.

The ultimate irony might be that Snowden claims he's championing truth & freedom of speech, yet he ends-up constrained within one of the most non-free speech & propagandized places on earth!

--

"The move comes as Moscow is mobilizing reservists for what the Kremlin calls a “special military operation” in Ukraine. In Russia, almost every man is considered a reservist until age 65, and officials on Monday stressed that men with dual citizenship are also eligible for the military call-up."
(KTLA Channel 5)

--

Imagine if he ends up getting closer to sensitive matters and leaks damaging things re: Russian government.

Imagine if he ends up getting closer to sensitive matters and leaks damaging things re: Russian government.

??

Those laptops & HDD's Snowden had were scanned by RU upon his entry! I guarantee it!

??

Those laptops & HDD's Snowden had were scanned by RU upon his entry! I guarantee it!

I mean if he turns on them eventually. This would be ironic.

Turns on Putin?

Presumably Putin believes he has more uses for Snowden than what he has already gotten. It'd be rather ironic if somehow, Snowden manages to screw over Putin, too.

Sure, it would also be ironic if Snowden now has to go die in Ukraine.

That'll show those Americans.

Presumably Putin believes he has more uses for Snowden than what he has already gotten. It'd be rather ironic if somehow, Snowden manages to screw over Putin, too.

Sure, it would also be ironic if Snowden now has to go die in Ukraine.

There's irony all around!

But if Snowden tries to turn on Putin, his life will be in grave danger. If he even has internet access, Snowden is probably among the most monitored men in RU.

But if Snowden tries to turn on Putin, his life will be in grave danger. If he even has internet access, Snowden is probably among the most monitored men in RU.

I wouldn't be surprised if his life was endangered. It's not like everything happens above board in the cold hard world of national interest. Though we do have many fewer people falling out of hospital windows.

Tall Building Syndrome.

--

This is a progression. Snowden helped Putin put Trump in the WH. Now, he gets Russian citizenship to shield him from extradition.

Do you think he will do the same for Trump when Donnie is looking for a place to run after the indictments begin?

Do you think he will do the same for Trump when Donnie is looking for a place to run after the indictments begin?
Would love to see that so Trump can show his true colors.

At this time, yes - I agree.

I'm still wondering if he'd be liable in a general mobilization? No idea how dual citizenship would affect that, but then Putin does with his charges whatever he want.
He's too old for the draft. I don't believe his dual citizenship would be relevant unless US forces became directly involved in the war, though they obviously wouldn't send a high profile political asylee into combat against US-allied forces anyway.
. . . one of the most non-free speech & propagandized places on earth!
I'm sure that's what the government told you.
If he even has internet access, Snowden . . .
If only he had multiple online presences, some of which had been updated within the last few hours . . .

Never forget that Obama, Hillary, and Joe Biden consider whistleblowers to be international fugitives.

The Elites don't want you to know their secrets. Snowden and others are a threat to them.

He's too old for the draft. I don't believe his dual citizenship would be relevant unless US forces became directly involved in the war, though they obviously wouldn't send a high profile political asylee into combat against US-allied forces anyway.

I'm sure that's what the government told you.

If only he had multiple online presences, some of which had been updated within the last few hours . . .
Too old? Where have you been? Russia is drafting men up to 65 with the right skills and Snowden has some skills they can use.

Is anyone envious they can't get Russian citizenship?

Back
Top Bottom