• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Vitamin D deficiency raises COVID-19 infection risk by 77%, study finds

jmotivator

Computer Gaming Nerd
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Vitamin D deficiency raises COVID-19 infection risk by 77%, study finds - UPI.com

Sept. 3 (UPI) -- Vitamin D deficiency increases a person's risk for catching COVID-19 by 77% compared to those with sufficient levels of the nutrient, a study published Thursday by JAMA Network Open found.

As many as one in four of the nearly 500 participants in the study were found to have less-than-optimal levels of vitamin D, the data showed.

Among those found to be lacking the key nutrient, 22% contracted COVID-19, the data showed.

Of the 60% of study subjects with adequate vitamin D levels, just 12% were infected, according to the researchers.

Interesting if true. It would help explain the poor outcomes of lock downs since most people's primary source of Vitamin D is sun exposure... not to mention that city dwellers who don't supplement Vitamin D tend to have Vitamin D deficiency:

"Vitamin D deficiency is very common in Brooklyn, NY and when I test my patients, unless they take supplements they often are deficient in vitamin d. New York City pollution or northern latitude just make it more difficult to make sufficient quantities of vitamin D from sun exposure. If you live in Brooklyn or New York City year round, you should consider taking vitamin D supplements."

It might also help explain why the elderly, who are home bound in large numbers, are more susceptible.

Thank goodness I live in Arizona.

You still might be deficient unless you spend a lot of time in the sun. Also if your skin is darker you might be deficient.

I had a online visit with my doctor. She told me all she was doing for the Corona virus was taking Vitamin D. I asked why not Zinc, Selenium, or Vitamin C or other supplements?

She gave me a partial answer saying the American diet gives us enough Zinc, we don't need to take suppliments.

After my meeting with her I Googled .. Zinc deficiency. I found 10% of Americans are deficient in Zinc. So I am continuing to suppliment.
So you will go with advice of dr google instead of your own doctor?

You still might be deficient unless you spend a lot of time in the sun. Also if your skin is darker you might be deficient.

Thank god I’m white and hike and golf a lot.

i'm just glad COVID wasn't killing people before safety measures were put into place.

oh, and on a side note, i've see more neighbors get out of their houses and exercise than i've ever seen. as an outdoor, extrovert myself, it's been really refreshing to have the hermits come outside and talk. i will say that seeing 40-50yo indoor moms on bicycles is just a hair funny (but i'll do nothing but encourage them).

I talked to a friend of mine the other day that has been ordering 50mg vitamin D pills online. It seems like it couldn't hurt.

I talked to a friend of mine the other day that has been ordering 50mg vitamin D pills online. It seems like it couldn't hurt.
I will note that Facci is taking Vitamin D supplements. It's not perfect , but anything that can improve chances helps

I'm in Arizona and I have to take vitamin D, because I don't go outside because of the big burning cancer ball in the sky.

Back
Top Bottom