• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Virginia Republican embroiled in blackface scandal

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47162714

Virginia Republicans claimed the moral high ground this week as a blackface scandal left the state's Democratic leadership on the brink of implosion.

But now a racist yearbook has come back to haunt a top Republican.
======================================
'It has emerged that Senate Majority Leader Tommy Norment edited a 1968 college publication containing slurs and blackface photos.'

Save your Confederate money, boys. The South will rise again!

Norment already commented on this. He was on the editorial staff, not the sole decision maker. He was also an ADVOCATE for integration at VMI.

Norment said he did not appear in or take any of the racially offensive photos.

Norment’s 1968 comment

“As my comment on Page 236 notes, I supported the integration of VMI,” Norment said. “And in 1997, I led the effort to have my alma mater include women for the first time.”

On the page Norment cited, top editors described their mission in producing the 1968 yearbook, which came out in a year of turmoil nationally and transition at VMI.
https://www.debatepolitics.com/southeast/346884-virginia-republican-embroiled-blackface-scandal.html

Not that I expect anyone around here to be fair when posting accusations of racism but with all the stupid ass fake news stories over the past month or so you figure folks might take at least a minute or two to verify the garbage they post.

Back
Top Bottom