• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Virginia mayor urged to resign after saying Biden picked 'Aunt Jemima as his VP'

beefheart

Ice Cream for Crow?
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
What a Richard...:roll:

Virginia mayor urged to resign after saying Biden picked '''Aunt Jemima as his VP'''

A Virginia mayor is facing calls for his resignation over a Facebook post in which he said that Joe Biden "just announced Aunt Jemima" as his running mate.

Luray Mayor Barry Presgraves posted the comment last weekend on his Facebook page. The comment was condemned by members of the Luray Town Council and other residents before he took it down that same weekend.

Luray is a town of less than 5,000 people, the majority of them white, according to the most recent census data. Four percent of the population is Black. The town is about 90 miles west of Washington, D.C.

Biden named California Sen. Kamala Harris as his running mate on Tuesday.

A number of Black women were on Biden’s running mate short list, including Florida Rep. Val Demings; California Rep. Karen Bass, who leads the Congressional Black Caucus; Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms; and Susan Rice, the former national security adviser to President Barack Obama.

"I want to make this very clear to everyone with absolutely no qualifications," Presgraves said. "I understand what I posted on social media was wrong, offensive and unbecoming."

Presgraves, 77, added that it does not reflect what is in his heart.

"I also want to make a direct apology to all people of color and women. Passing off demeaning and worn out racial stereotypes as humor isn't funny," he said, reading from a prepared statement. "I now fully understand how hurtful it is and I can and will do better and we can all do better. We must."

Doesn't surprise me.

WTF is a 77yo doing on FaceBook?

Amazing how these people say the damndest things and then claim it's not what's in their hearts. Yeah, right.

Unbelievable that someone in 2020 could be so tone deaf.

With months and months of marches, looting, arson, statue toppling, name changes, etc., how could he possibly have thought that he could get away with that?

Amazing!

Why's that? Because you hate the librulz?
I'm going by their history. This, I believe, is the same State where the governor went Blackface. You must be a "librul" too, huh?

Although the article doesn't say so I think it's safe to assume the guy is a Democrat.

Seems like Republican is the preferred party of racists these days.

Seems like Republican is the preferred party of racists these days.
On what evidence? The Democrats are supporting a Presidential candidate who once spoke at the funeral of a highly placed KKK member, praising him at length. No racism there?

facebook is mostly old people these days

That's true. I mostly use it for viewing parties. A lot of people, usually middle aged, like spreading conspiracy theories on it

if you wait long enough, people usually tell you who they really are. "usually" approaches "almost always" when we're talking about nazi racists.

if you wait long enough, people usually tell you who they really are. "usually" approaches "almost always" when we're talking about nazi racists.

I've said that a 1000 times.

Or go to a bar. The alcohol usually opens them right up. Or wait for an emotional event. And just read what people say in threads here. They just can't help it.

I've said that a 1000 times.

Or go to a bar. The alcohol usually opens them right up. Or wait for an emotional event. And just read what people say in threads here. They just can't help it.

yep, for sure. i was a saloon singer for many years, and there were multiple times that a barstool conversation turned into the person tentatively throwing n-word jokes my way to test the waters once we got comfortable. coming from a former sundown town, it was difficult to not get pissed, but i generally just steered the conversation away from it. i'm not going to get into an in person racist debate with someone who wouldn't be convinced anyway. i like to keep it light.

Back
Top Bottom