• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Virginia governor's yearbook page shows 2 people in blackface, KKK garb

brothern

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/01/politics/northam-blackface-photo/index.html

A medical school yearbook page of Virginia Democratic Gov. Ralph Northam shows a photograph of two people, one in blackface and one in a KKK hood and robe.

The photograph, which was obtained by CNN affiliate WTKR, appears in the 1984 yearbook for Eastern Virginia Medical School yearbook and shows two people -- one in blackface and one in the KKK's signature white hood and robes.

The photo was first reported by conservative website Big League Politics.
Submit your resignation immediately, Governor.

There is nothing tolerable about this.

I think his political career should be kept comfortable while a discussion is had.

I think his political career should be kept comfortable while a discussion is had.

No, it's done. These types of scandals are well tolerated in the Republican party. It should never be tolerated in the Democratic party.

No, it's done. These types of scandals are well tolerated in the Republican party. It should never be tolerated in the Democratic party.

You're right; a KKK Grand Kleagle could never be a Democrat lion of the Senate for decades.

This along with the abortion flap of the last few days will doom the governor. These are the times we live in.....

These look like Halloween costumes of a by gone era. I'm no fan of
Ralph Northam, especially after his recent bizarre comments regarding abortion. But dredging up someone's high school record seems so incredibly petty and regressive.

I'm gonna give this 24 hours to find out the complete story here. I guess I just outed myself as not a liberal.

These look like Halloween costumes of a by gone era. I'm no fan of
Ralph Northam, especially after his recent bizarre comments regarding abortion. But dredging up someone's high school record seems so incredibly petty and regressive.

And still, the left did it with Kavanaugh ... although there wasn't even anything there, and they did with the Covington boys ... and not to forget the forged inscription of that judge in a high-school book.

Obviously it should be up to the people of Virginia if he stays or not. Personally, given when it happened, I lean toward forgiveness if it hasn't been a pattern of behavior. How socially unacceptable was blackface in 1984? I honestly don't remember, but I recall half my class having to dress up as pilgrims and half the class dressing up as Native Americans (red face and all) around Thanksgiving. It was a public school.

That said, there is an argument to be made that the people who we elect to office should be BETTER than the average person.

It wasn't long ago that the VA GOP was basically calling him a race traitor for his position in Confederate statues. Wonder if they'll build a status for him now. I kinda doubt it.

And still, the left did it with Kavanaugh ... although there wasn't even anything there, and they did with the Covington boys ... and not to forget the forged inscription of that judge in a high-school book.

There is an alleged victim. But we can write her out of the story.

You're right Barnacle, and those on the left who did those things are deplorable. But let's save the outrage for legitimate issues deserving of outrage, instead of being suckered into playing the lefts adolescent game of tattle tale.

Yeah; the victim was Kavanaugh ... the other one was a liar.

We don't know that. The investigation was a whitewash. Perhaps they were afraid to find the truth.

This country is ****ed if this is the standard

Thanks progs.

You're right; a KKK Grand Kleagle could never be a Democrat lion of the Senate for decades.

Now that he's dead and no longer needed, it's just a matter of time until Democrats erase him from history.

We don't know that. The investigation was a whitewash. Perhaps they were afraid to find the truth.

:doh OMG JBB, what the hell does it take for you to say that the crap against Kavanaugh was total crap to smear him...Once he was passed through, it all disappeared....

Northam might save his career, and he would certainly save his integrity, if he said that this is not that uncommon among southern whites, such as with the FL Sec. of State. That this is a part of his life and culture growing up white in America, particularly in the south, but he now rejects it - and has for many years, even though he still benefits from whiteness. Coming to terms with it is a life long struggle.

Back
Top Bottom