• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Virginia Governor Restores Voting Rights to Felons

Governor made the right decision.

• Total voters
I don't really have an opinion on this, however for those of you that support the decision, what if they're sex offenders?

So what if they are? You can be a "sex offender" by selling graphic magazines to people over the age of 21.

How do you know that they are not republicans?
Because only Democrats are bad people. If those felons had been good people, they wouldn't have been in jail and would already be voting Republican. Duh.

Anyways, I still haven't quite come to a conclusion on how I feel about this kind of thing. More and more I feel like if a prisoner has served their time and is free, they should be allowed to vote.

So what if they are? You can be a "sex offender" by selling graphic magazines to people over the age of 21.

I'm on the fence with this. I'm not sure that a registered child molester or rapist should be allowed the privilege of voting.

Depends on what they did and if they should relapse.

As someone mentioned before...if they committed a sex crime, would they tend to vote for politicians who would be soft on those crimes? [the Left tends to promote them}

As was mentioned earlier, once you begin removing rights, it then becomes political pandering.
If they relapse- normally sent to jail or their probation is altered.
Once a person has paid their debt to society, they should not be further punished by losing their right to vote.

I'm on the fence with this. I'm not sure that a registered child molester or rapist should be allowed the privilege of voting.

There's a difference between a "rapist" and a "sex offender". Although you can be a rapist for for being a 16 yo who has sex with a 14 yo. So again, I'm fine with this law because there's too many silly felonies.

There's a difference between a "rapist" and a "sex offender". Although you can be a rapist for for being a 16 yo who has sex with a 14 yo. So again, I'm fine with this law because there's too many silly felonies.

A number of years ago I read an article about a man, some where in the Southern US, sentenced to 20 years for manslaughter, then the judge suspended it.
One reason many from other countries have difficulties understanding US-State Laws. In Canada it would be Criminal Code, and the law is the same regardless of Province or Territory.

Are you surprised? It's not only the Clintons who play these games, seems everyone should be used to it by now.

And now you see the problem with removing rights of people, it becomes a political game very quickly.

In the American view, these people knowingly sacrificed their rights when committing the crimes they've been convicted for - it includes things like the right to bear a fire arm, and it's not a secret suddenly revealed to those convicted. It only becomes political when a politician decides it should be, and I can assure you that in this instance McAuliffe's action did not spring from any altruistic motivation. Virginia is a swing state in the upcoming election. This was done by executive fiat. I seriously doubt the public agrees with this decision.

In the American view, these people knowingly sacrificed their rights when committing the crimes they've been convicted for - it includes things like the right to bear a fire arm, and it's not a secret suddenly revealed to those convicted. It only becomes political when a politician decides it should be, and I can assure you that in this instance McAuliffe's action did not spring from any altruistic motivation. Virginia is a swing state in the upcoming election. This was done by executive fiat. I seriously doubt the public agrees with this decision.
The right to regain voting after completion of sentence varies across the US.

From the link
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/23/u...n-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

Friday’s shift in Virginia is part of a national trend toward restoring voter rights to felons, based in part on the hope that it will aid former prisoners’ re-entry into society. Over the last two decades about 20 states have acted to ease their restrictions, according to the Brennan Center for Justice at New York University.

Only two states — Maine and Vermont — have no voting restrictions on felons. On the other side, 12 states disenfranchise felons after they have completed probation or parole, said Marc Mauer, executive director of the Sentencing Project, a Washington policy organization that advocates restoring felons’ voting rights.

So the right to vote is arbitrary in the US, it can come and go.

It sure works as deterrent, the highest incarceration rate of all industrialized countries.

I believe, like many Canadians, voting is sacrosanct and cannot be denied for any reason.

As you are noting it has become corrupt and is now being used for cheap political purposes. It seems to have presented results contrary to the intent

A felon who's released with conditions and can't live near a school because they're still considered a threat to society probably shouldn't be extended voting rights.

Sorry, he just circumvented the constitution. That's not the way you do it. You put up a referendum to change the constitution.

Does the constitution SAY all criminals will lose they're vote. My US education ended 50 years ago, but I don't recall it saying that.

If you allow a government to remove rights, you weaken democracy and strengthen corruption. Rights cannot be arbitrary in that one day a government decides that say, people with aids can't have the right to vote.

The fact that it is happening here, used for political reasons is proof enough to me it is a completely asinine restriction of a right that should e sacrosanct and untouchable. I consider the right to vote the greatest right there i, without it all the rest can disappear.

A felon who's released with conditions and can't live near a school because they're still considered a threat to society probably shouldn't be extended voting rights.

Why not?

I disagree. What does voting have to do with a sex offence?

In only 10 states do convicted felons permanently lose the right to vote. State Felon Voting Laws - Felon Voting - ProCon.org

IMO, those 10 states have it wrong and someone should have their voting rights restored at a minimum after they are no longer under supervision of the justice system, completed probation and parole. I just can't justify some 70 year old man being prohibited to vote because he sold some weed 50 years ago....

I disagree. What does voting have to do with a sex offence?

Lifetime punishment. I think it comes from that Puritan streak that came over early.

The New York Times - Breaking News, World News & Multimedia

Thoughts are?
Governor made the right decision.
They served their time, debt to society has been paid.

Agree
Disagree
Not sure

They paid their debt to society. Yes, there are certain instances where people should have their voting rights belong...but these should be - MUST be - in the very small minority of cases. Say an 18 year-old kid is convicted of aggravated assault - heck, we've ALL done stupid crap when we were young, and some worse than others. Should he automatically lose his right to vote for the rest of his life? No. That makes no sense.

While I'm not horribly opposed to felons regaining the right to vote once their entire sentence has been served (past Republican governors have actually pushed for this with non-violent offenders), I do not support this method of going about it from my governor. You do not overturn the state's constitution by executive fiat.

The right to regain voting after completion of sentence varies across the US.

From the link
The New York Times - Breaking News, World News & Multimedia

It does vary. Many such things vary in the US from state to state. If one is going to commit a crime in the US, it pays to know the laws of the state in which you intend to commit it. Most don't, but then, most criminals aren't the brightest lights in the building to start with. I do agree we throw far too many in jail here for innocuous things. Fix that first, and then we can talk about restoring rights for the more egregious offenders. I'm not a fan of executive orders - never have been and never will be - whether it's a governor or the president.

Is that envy, or jealousy? lol

Must suck seeing your party splitting at the seams, and the Donald handing the WH to another Clinton lol

Hahaha !

Youre saying that Im jealous of the party that has to rely on the votes of convicted felons to win elections ??

And HRC is a shoe in, sure ! Corrupt establishment is all the rage these days !

Voters are going to LOVE it when a Establishment Politician gets away with something that would put the average American in prison for Years

The whole " the Law doesn't apply to me because Im HRC " is going to really win over undecided and middle of the road voters.

And Bernie Voters. She would almost be better off getting idicted.

If they're still considered a threat to children, being on the radar having to notify authorities when they move, they haven't been really rehabilitated. Molesters never are. I'n not sure that they should be able to participate in voting.

They paid their debt to society. Yes, there are certain instances where people should have their voting rights belong...but these should be - MUST be - in the very small minority of cases. Say an 18 year-old kid is convicted of aggravated assault - heck, we've ALL done stupid crap when we were young, and some worse than others. Should he automatically lose his right to vote for the rest of his life? No. That makes no sense.

So certain crimes, serve your sentence, parole and probation no issues, never regain the right to vote. Do I have that right?

If they committed a white collar crime, would they tend to vote for politicians who would be soft on those crimes?

See what I did there?

I agree. My point was directed at the Left and those crimes they tend to soften on.

Lifetime punishment. I think it comes from that Puritan streak that came over early.

You are absolutely correct, and it shows a deep division among Christians.

In many countries the 'justice system' is oriented in changing the offender. The Puritans brought with them the middle ages idea of shame and punishment for wrongdoers, including corporal punishment for misbehaving children.

However modern society is finding that A, corporal punishment is the absolute WRONG way to go with children and adolescents. Increasingly we are finding in Canada that the punishment model is counter-productive, but the treatment model, even with the absence of drug use.

So the right to vote is arbitrary in the US, it can come and go.

It sure works as deterrent, the highest incarceration rate of all industrialized countries.

I believe, like many Canadians, voting is sacrosanct and cannot be denied for any reason.

As you are noting it has become corrupt and is now being used for cheap political purposes. It seems to have presented results contrary to the intent

The right to vote is based on good behavior. I agree that far too many are incarcerated for silly offenses - often the fines imposed can't be paid, and that in and of itself results in imprisonment. This should be changed. However, for the more serious offenses, I'd prefer that people so lacking in judgement not be permitted to vote or legally own a fire arm. I can forgive such people for their crimes, but that doesn't mean I trust them. I don't.

Back
Top Bottom