• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Virginia Attorney General Herring says he wore blackface in college

PoS

Minister of Love
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...a4aff8-2a26-11e9-984d-9b8fba003e81_story.html

Virginia Attorney General Mark Herring (D) said Wednesday he dressed in blackface during college, elevating the Capitol’s scandals to a new level that engulfed the entire executive branch of government. “In 1980, when I was a 19-year-old undergraduate in college, some friends suggested we attend a party dressed like rappers we listened to at the time, like Kurtis Blow, and perform a song,” Herring said in a statement. “It sounds ridiculous even now writing it. But because of our ignorance and glib attitudes – and because we did not have an appreciation for the experiences and perspectives of others – we dressed up and put on wigs and brown makeup.”
Herring acknowledgment comes as Gov. Ralph Northam (D) faces calls for his resignation after a photo emerged on his 1984 medical school yearbook page featuring someone in blackface standing next to someone in Ku Klux Klan robes.
And early Monday, Lt. Gov. Justin Fairfax (D) denied the allegations of a woman who said he sexually assaulted her at the Democratic National Convention in 2004.
The scandals suggest a possible constitutional crisis. If Northam should step down, Fairfax would succeed him because of his position as lieutenant governor. Herring, as attorney general, would be next in line.

Jesus. I guess the question now is, is there anyone in the state government of Virginia who didnt wear blackface?

I guess the question now is, is there anyone in the state government of Virginia who didnt wear blackface?

There was a picture of it in a yearbook. I don't think that this was exactly taboo in Virginia at the time.

How is this not an episode of Family Guy?

Maybe Trump will make blackface great again..

I am totally serious when I say that doing the blackface and Klan thing at college is sort of a rite of passage if you're in any kind of Virginia version of an Ivy League university. There isn't enough room in this chat window to list all the notable Virginians who have pulled this stupid stunt.

It's like Air Force Academy grads who have to have a picture of themselves in a jet going straight up into the air on their wall, or Shriners posing with strippers, or Masons posing with bank presidents.

Virginia IS the "Capital of the Confederacy" and if you want to have your bonafides as a Favorite Son of The Old Dominion, you were supposed to submit a photo in either Klan garb or blackface. I attended a ritzy private school down there for a little while, it was like being in a skit starring a deranged Colonel Sanders, an overpriced babysitting operation for rich Southern kids who knew they'd have everything handed to them, which is why my tenure there didn't last long.

Shouldn't the person be judged on what they have done as an elected official rather than what may have happened during college? One also needs to take into account what was acceptable back then may not always be acceptable now or in the future.

I am totally serious when I say that doing the blackface and Klan thing at college is sort of a rite of passage if you're in any kind of Virginia version of an Ivy League university. There isn't enough room in this chat window to list all the notable Virginians who have pulled this stupid stunt.

It's like Air Force Academy grads who have to have a picture of themselves in a jet going straight up into the air on their wall, or Shriners posing with strippers, or Masons posing with bank presidents.

Virginia IS the "Capital of the Confederacy" and if you want to have your bonafides as a Favorite Son of The Old Dominion, you were supposed to submit a photo in either Klan garb or blackface. I attended a ritzy private school down there for a little while, it was like being in a skit starring a deranged Colonel Sanders, an overpriced babysitting operation for rich Southern kids who knew they'd have everything handed to them, which is why my tenure there didn't last long.

Was it a rite of passage to put a black face photo in one's yearbook page?

Maybe Trump will make blackface great again..

Wait what? lol....Democrats in VA are getting busted left and right for sporting 'blackface' in the 80s, and trust me, I was 18 - 28 through the 80s, and nothing about doing that was ok then....But, from Democrats in here what we hear are all kinds of excuses, and then this laughable post that "Trump will make it great again"? WTH? What's wrong with you?

Wait what? lol....Democrats in VA are getting busted left and right for sporting 'blackface' in the 80s, and trust me, I was 18 - 28 through the 80s, and nothing about doing that was ok then....But, from Democrats in here what we hear are all kinds of excuses, and then this laughable post that "Trump will make it great again"? WTH? What's wrong with you?

What you're seeing is a backlash against the Republican party having raised the "All White Supremacists Welcome" sign above the GOP entrance. Democrats are cleaning out their skeletons, and in the end we'll be better off for it.

My point exactly.

There was a picture of it in a yearbook. I don't think that this was exactly taboo in Virginia at the time.

I was in Highschool in the 80s and in Texas. It was very taboo and not acceptable

What you're seeing is a backlash against the Republican party having raised the "All White Supremacists Welcome" sign to the GOP entrance. Democrats are cleaning out their skeletons, and in the end we'll be better off for it.

My point exactly.

Non sense....just because YOU try to define the GOP as a party of racists, doesn't make it so, and doesn't make it OK that Democrats are the ones getting busted for overtly racism right now....Your post reeks of desperation.

Herring called for Northam to resign. Lol ! ****ing Democrats

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...a4aff8-2a26-11e9-984d-9b8fba003e81_story.html

Jesus. I guess the question now is, is there anyone in the state government of Virginia who didnt wear blackface?

People should be judged on their entire lives, not solely based on something that happened decades ago. The Virginia governor really handled this badly but for 35 years he has led the kind of life that Democrats would be proud of. I'm upset about his current stance on abortion. I could care less that he was an idiot in college 35 years ago. Just the fact that the picture was printed in the yearbook in the first place shows that times were different 35 years ago. We should embrace the fact that we have grown as a country and so has he. The SJW wingnuts are out to throw a noose over a tree branch and hang anyone for something they did decades ago when they were stupid teenagers. Now, we are going to have people like this come out of the woodwork and confess their horrible sins back when they were young and stupid and living in different times.

Non sense....just because YOU try to define the GOP as a party of racists, doesn't make it so, and doesn't make it OK that Democrats are the ones getting busted for overtly racism right now....Your post reeks of desperation.

Republicans defend Confederate monuments, pose by Confederate flags, had Steve King in their party for years and defend an open White Supremacist in the White House.

The primary difference between Democrats in Virginia and the Republicans Party is that Democrats having done black face is a scandal and White Supremacy in the GOP isn't.

Republicans defend Confederate monuments, pose by Confederate flags, had Steve King in their party for years and defend an open White Supremacist in the White House.

The primary difference between Democrats in Virginia and the Republicans Party is that Democrats having done black face is a scandal and White Supremacy in the GOP isn't.

It's not?

Was it a rite of passage to put a black face photo in one's yearbook page?

YES! That is what I am saying.
Remember, I used the term "OLD DOMINION".
When you hear that term, you're supposed to think of this:

Virginia Colonel.jpg

The old boy network down there expected you to do certain things as a "Proud Son of the Confederacy".
Posing for pictures like that in your college yearbook made certain powerful old men happy, and they felt more motivated to invite you "to the right gatherings with the right people in them".

Have you ever lived in "The Old South"?

I'm not exaggerating.

Back
Top Bottom