• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

violent crime was declining before Trump took office, what happened over the last 3 years?

tacomancer

Christian Capitalist Social Democrat
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal

sjmay

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed

Barnacle

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
So if you look at the long term trends of violent crime, with some exceptions, we were in a long term declining trend, until the Trump administration. If cities are now "such hell holes", what happened over the last three years to reverse this trend?
Some research: New FBI Data Shows Violent Crime Falling, Except Rapes | The Marshall Project

We never were. The only thing that changed was how the crime is classified.

"... Okay, makes sense. But here’s the catch: None of these crimes are weighted. When a “beautiful, innocent 9-year-old child who was laying on the bed doing her homework” is murdered in Ferguson as a retaliation killing, it counts just the same as when an individual is arrested for shoplifting US$50 or more from the Dollar Store. This flawed metric allows for incredible confusion. ...

Why the US needs better crime reporting statistics -- GCN

LAPD Captain Says City's Crime Stats are Manipulated - Patrol - POLICE Magazine

Manipulating crime statistics

NYPD report confirms manipulation of crime stats - Reuters

tacomancer

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
We never were. The only thing that changed was how the crime is classified.

"... Okay, makes sense. But here’s the catch: None of these crimes are weighted. When a “beautiful, innocent 9-year-old child who was laying on the bed doing her homework” is murdered in Ferguson as a retaliation killing, it counts just the same as when an individual is arrested for shoplifting US$50 or more from the Dollar Store. This flawed metric allows for incredible confusion. ...

Why the US needs better crime reporting statistics -- GCN

LAPD Captain Says City's Crime Stats are Manipulated - Patrol - POLICE Magazine

Manipulating crime statistics

NYPD report confirms manipulation of crime stats - Reuters

OK so then the total amount of violent crime was declining, good to know

Old 'N Chill

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
So if you look at the long term trends of violent crime, with some exceptions, we were in a long term declining trend, until the Trump administration. If cities are now "such hell holes", what happened over the last three years to reverse this trend?

Some research: New FBI Data Shows Violent Crime Falling, Except Rapes | The Marshall Project

He divided and angered the citizens with his divisive hateful rhetoric. He hasn't represented all of the American people, he represents himself, whites and Christians and White Supremacists and racists....who have started to crawl out from under their rocks as soon as that scumbag stepped into office.

Donald Trump Hate And Violence Map

His inflammatory BS has intensified the hatred of blacks by whites, immigrants by whites, non-Christians by Christians, Democrats by republicans, etc., etc. Every day he criticizes and insults, every day he lies and exaggerates, he's constantly throwing fuel on the small fires and making them into wildfires. He's an ignorant destructive selfish bully who needs to get the hell out ASAP one way or another, and take his corrupt family with him.

Take out the trash in November and VOTE DEMOCRATIC!

Last edited:

Oborosen

Doctor D
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
He divided and angered the citizens with his divisive hateful rhetoric. He hasn't represented all of the American people, he represents himself, whites and Christians and White Supremacists and racists....who have started to crawl out from under their rocks as soon as that scumbag stepped into office.

His inflammatory BS has intensified the hatred of blacks by whites, immigrants by whites, non-Christians by Christians, Democrats by republicans, etc., etc. Every day he criticizes and insults, every day he lies and exaggerates, he's constantly throwing fuel on the small fires and making them into wildfires. He's an ignorant destructive selfish bully who needs to get the hell out ASAP one way or another, and take his corrupt family with him.

Tell me then. Why would I vote for an entire group that represents division, racism, bigotry, sexual assault, violence and social upheaval?

Last edited:

bomberfox

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal

He is the alt-reich president.

Tlrmln

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

The violent crime rate continued to decrease during Trump's first two years in office.

United States Crime Rates 1960 - 2018

The final data for 2019 still are not out, but the FBI's preliminary report for the first half of 2019 shows a further 3.1% reduction in violent crime.

FBI — Table 2

Even the article you cited yourself contradicts your claim.

tacomancer

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
The violent crime rate continued to decrease during Trump's first two years in office.

United States Crime Rates 1960 - 2018

The final data for 2019 still are not out, but the FBI's preliminary report for the first half of 2019 shows a further 3.1% reduction in violent crime.

FBI — Table 2

Even the article you cited yourself contradicts your claim.

While I do agree there is an overall reduction in crime which has been a long term trend since the mid 90s if I remember correctly. Also, you are correct, I should reframe my argument to point specifically to this new claim about riots vs crime in general.

Fishking

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right

tacomancer

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
The left, especially so-called progressives, have lost their minds.

If not wanting the country to devolve into an unconstitutional place is losing their mind, then so be it.

Fishking

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
If not wanting the country to devolve into an unconstitutional place is losing their mind, then so be it.

Says the person who's pals have never accepted an election.

tacomancer

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
It's true. :confused:

Why deny it.

I accept that the election happened. I accept that the counting was legitimate. I pretty much accept that this is what the country went for.

I do not accept the direction this country is going under the Trump presidency.

But more importantly the point that was raised was silly which caused me to laugh as it would not matter if I had accepted it or not.

JoeyJoystick

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive

Fully agree with you. What worries me is many of the Christians actually do support him. Most of what The Trumpet stands for is not very Christian at best. So what does this tell you about religious people. All the good things in the bible are ignored because it doesn't suit his agenda. Now I am an atheist, but I am still happy that my parents taught me all the norms and values that I have today, and surely many of these came from the bible.

I can only conclude that The Trumpet is a serial embracer of bad.

Joey

Top Bottom