• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Violent Arrest of Teacher Caught on Video; Officers Face Investigation

sanman

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
An encounter in Austin, Texas between a police officer and a black woman for a speeding infraction quickly escalated into a violent arrest in which the woman was slammed down twice:

Violent arrest of teacher caught on video; officers face... | www.mystatesman.com

Police officer slams black woman to the ground twice (VIDEO) - NY Daily News

The arresting officer later claimed that after he ordered her back into her vehicle he immediately ordered her out of the vehicle because she may have been reaching for a weapon even though there was nothing to indicate the lady was armed. The lady says she was not given enough time to comply before the officer became physical with her.

While the lady was being driven to jail by a different officer, she had an verbal exchange with him in which he explained to her that black people had "violent tendencies" which often caused officers to feel "intimidated".

The incident happened in July of last year, but is only now triggering an investigation.

Video is from 06/2015.

Let me guess, she needs a million dollars from Austin now, right?

An encounter in Austin, Texas between a police officer and a black woman for a speeding infraction quickly escalated into a violent arrest in which the woman was slammed down twice:

Violent arrest of teacher caught on video; officers face... | www.mystatesman.com

Police officer slams black woman to the ground twice (VIDEO) - NY Daily News

The arresting officer later claimed that after he ordered her back into her vehicle he immediately ordered her out of the vehicle because she may have been reaching for a weapon even though there was nothing to indicate the lady was armed. The lady says she was not given enough time to comply before the officer became physical with her.

While the lady was being driven to jail by a different officer, she had an verbal exchange with him in which he explained to her that black people had "violent tendencies" which often caused officers to feel "intimidated".

The incident happened in July of last year, but is only now triggering an investigation.

Why is she fighting with the officer? What do people think will happen when they violently resist arrest? :roll:

Well, of course there's never "anything to indicate" that people are armed until they pull out a gun and stick it in your face.

Which is perfectly true as a point of fact, but I'm not accepting her word that this exchange ever took place.

It's a speeding ticket. Give her the GD ticket and go away! Why all of the physical stuff? None of it was necessary and so that cop should loose his job. He's not fit to function in that role.

Well, of course there's never "anything to indicate" that people are armed until they pull out a gun and stick it in your face.

Which is perfectly true as a point of fact, but I'm not accepting her word that this exchange ever took place.

OF course you wouldn't.

"As King was being driven to jail, a separate police video recorded a conversation between King and officer Patrick Spradlin in which he said whites may be concerned about interacting with blacks because they can appear “intimidating.”

Why is she fighting with the officer? What do people think will happen when they violently resist arrest? :roll:

I wonder if much of that struggling is instinctive. I mean, think about it in this particular case. Common sense would tell that woman that the officer is FAR MORE POWERFUL than she is. And yet she tried to physically fight him.

I'm talking about AFTER she refused his order to put her feet in the car and close the door. That was her big mistake, in my opinion. Everything else flowed naturally from there.

Once he put her on the ground, she appeared not to cooperate. I say appeared because, again, I wonder if some or most of this struggling is instinctual.

No matter, the officer had a choice to make. If he wasn't comfortable with what was on the passenger seat in the car, he shouldn't have insisted she get INTO the car and close the door. She was reaching, he said. Thought she might have a gun, he said.

The dept issued the officer training. This is what has to stop. What the public wants to hear is swift investigation and action. Public. If an officer is sent for retraining, suspend him for thirty days, no pay. I'm telling you this **** will stop. Christ in heaven, an officer just shouldn't be slamming a teacher to the ground.

And the cops wonder why nobody loves them....:doh

:roll:

No, T-72. Just.....no.

Yes, Ace, yes. Nationwide the cops are somehow surprised that they have a bad reputation for sudden violence against unarmed citizens. They don't understand why they are being shot at in so many locations.

I understand it, and I'm a little bit surprised that they don't understand it.

I'm not defending the actions, neither theirs nor the civilians, but I do understand it. In another 10 years or so, you might understand it too.

Yes, Ace, yes. Nationwide the cops are somehow surprised that they have a bad reputation for sudden violence against unarmed citizens. They don't understand why they are being shot at in so many locations.

I understand it, and I'm a little bit surprised that they don't understand it.

I'm not defending the actions, neither theirs nor the civilians, but I do understand it. In another 10 years or so, you might understand it too.

I will never understand--- nor tolerate--- the actions of a bunch of deranged maniacs. Imagine what had happened if MLK JR had started the civil rights movement on a that same path.

It was a goddam speeding ticket. What was the point of trying to escape from the officer in the first place? It's not like speeding tickets get you thirty years in jail.

I will never understand--- nor tolerate--- the actions of a bunch of deranged maniacs. Imagine what had happened if MLK JR had started the civil rights movement on a that same path.

It was a goddam speeding ticket. What was the point of trying to escape from the officer in the first place? It's not like speeding tickets get you thirty years in jail.
What the hell are you on about?

I wonder if much of that struggling is instinctive. I mean, think about it in this particular case. Common sense would tell that woman that the officer is FAR MORE POWERFUL than she is. And yet she tried to physically fight him.

I'm talking about AFTER she refused his order to put her feet in the car and close the door. That was her big mistake, in my opinion. Everything else flowed naturally from there.

Once he put her on the ground, she appeared not to cooperate. I say appeared because, again, I wonder if some or most of this struggling is instinctual.

No matter, the officer had a choice to make. If he wasn't comfortable with what was on the passenger seat in the car, he shouldn't have insisted she get INTO the car and close the door. She was reaching, he said. Thought she might have a gun, he said.

The dept issued the officer training. This is what has to stop. What the public wants to hear is swift investigation and action. Public. If an officer is sent for retraining, suspend him for thirty days, no pay. I'm telling you this **** will stop. Christ in heaven, an officer just shouldn't be slamming a teacher to the ground.

She was resisting in the extreme. That is not instinctive. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

What does her being a teacher have to do with anything? What should he have done? Begged her to please quit resisting arrest? And if she didn't, send her on her way with a "have a nice day ma'am"?

She was resisting in the extreme. That is not instinctive. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

What does her being a teacher have to do with anything? What should he have done? Begged her to please quit resisting arrest? And if she didn't, send her on her way with a "have a nice day ma'am"?
:screwy:screwy:screwy

She weighed 100 pounds soaking wet. If it's not worth a taser, it's CERTAINLY not worth throwing her to the ground. Did he have one? Don't know. You can KILL a person flipping them to the ground. For a damned traffic ticket? Maybe in your world...

The thread is about the woman schoolteacher brutally thrown to the ground twice.

Focus.

You were the one who bolded "deranged maniacs"

Obviously you wanted to bring it up.

As for being "brutally thrown to the ground"

If there's an altercation you can expect for that to happen.

You were the one who bolded "deranged maniacs"

Obviously you wanted to bring it up.

YOU brought it up, and included this woman in the group, by default, then made a ludicrous claim she was trying to escape from the officer.

As for being "brutally thrown to the ground"

If there's an altercation you can expect for that to happen.
The officer went way overboard, and if you can't see that - there's no helping you.

YOU brought it up, and included this woman in the group, by default, then made a ludicrous claim she was trying to escape from the officer.

The officer went way overboard, and if you can't see that - there's no helping you.

T-72 said "They don't understand why they are being shot at in so many locations. I understand it, and I'm a little bit suprised they don't understand it"

I responded with my quote about deranged maniacs, then I went on to address the incident.

Two seperate paragraphs.

How much you wanna bet that she said something and he get pissy, and that's what sparked the aggressive behavior. Not the stupid excuse that she was possibly reaching for a gun.

She weighed 100 pounds soaking wet. If it's not worth a taser, it's CERTAINLY not worth throwing her to the ground. Did he have one? Don't know. You can KILL a person flipping them to the ground. For a damned traffic ticket? Maybe in your world...

I watched the video again. He never "threw her to to the ground", he lifted her legs off the ground twice, in an effort to gain control of her violent resistance. Was she injured in any way?

So, what should he have done?

Back
Top Bottom