• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Violence mars Black Friday

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
(CNN) -- Violence marred Black Friday shopping in at least five states, including a California incident in which police say a woman doused fellow shoppers with pepper spray in a bid to cut to the head of the line.

Ahh yes. Peace on Earth, good will towards men. But I don't believe that Christmas ever meant doing whatever it takes to grab your material things at Wal-Mart before someone else does. Amid all the mayhem there is a story about the birth of Christ and what it means to humanity. But I guess that just got lost in all the commericals, sitcoms, reality TV shows, and all the rest of the pomp and glitter of a holiday season that was sold out to corporate interests many years ago. Yes, Christmas DOES have 2 esses, and they are both dollar signs. When Christ returns, there is no doubt that he will do to this glaring display of materialism what he did to the money changers in the temple. The pepper spraying mentioned in the quote is only one symptom of the disease.

Article is here

In other news: "Everyone's peaceful day after Thanksgiving was ruined when marketers latched onto it to turn it into a debacle of defalcation and oniomania just like Labor Day, Memorial Day and all other special days, events and holidays"

This is what corporate America has wrought.

Last night coming home from our friends house for Thanksgiving and celebration we decided to go past Best Buy and Target. There was no violence that I know of, but at 10PM the parking lot was full and lines encircle both stores. Shear stupidity, in my opinion.

This is nothing but the lowest form of life. Pure and total human trash. It's embarrassing that the rest of the world sees this, but it is a large part of what America is these days.

I am sick and tired of seeing videos of gangs of kids fighting, of women fighting. I don't know people like that. I never have. How can anyone have so little respect for themselves to be involved in any of this crap? I truly do not understand it. But, hey that's America, all about the bling.

This is nothing but the lowest form of life. Pure and total human trash. It's embarrassing that the rest of the world sees this, but it is a large part of what America is these days.

I am sick and tired of seeing videos of gangs of kids fighting, of women fighting. I don't know people like that. I never have. How can anyone have so little respect for themselves to be involved in any of this crap? I truly do not understand it. But, hey that's America, all about the bling.

I agree, I think Black Friday is a crime against Humanity. It's nothing more than a large gang of monkeys roaming the streets and malls throwing their poo for the best deals. For god's sake, have some self respect people. We're humans, act like it.

In other news: "Everyone's peaceful day after Thanksgiving was ruined when marketers latched onto it to turn it into a debacle of defalcation and oniomania just like Labor Day, Memorial Day and all other special days, events and holidays"

To be fair, Thanksgiving was specifically set to determine a long shopping period for the Holiday season. It used to be on the last Thursday of November, but some Novembers have 5 Thursdays, meaning on occasion it would occur just before December. One of those Novembers with five Thursdays happened in 1939, when the United States was recovering from the Great Depression. At that time, waiting until after Thanksgiving to start the holiday shopping season was seen as almost holy, but Thanksgiving fell on the very last day of the month. A short number of Christmas shopping days, starting on December 1, could hurt the recovering economy. That's why FDR had to make some changes:

Congress Establishes Thanksgiving

That something like this would happen at a Wal Mart - well, I am just speechless. Who could have ever predicted this? :roll:;)

I'm pretty sure at this point that this isn't a case of violence marring Black Friday -- I think this is the new Black Friday.

No doubt the next step will be campaigns to add as much chaos to the scene as possible and then share the results on YouTube.

Only for those participating in the madness. The rest of us are "Tsk-tsking," LOL.

I don't care how good the deal is, I can't deal with ravenous mobs. They are unpredictable and there's no reasoning with them.

Last night coming home from our friends house for Thanksgiving and celebration we decided to go past Best Buy and Target. There was no violence that I know of, but at 10PM the parking lot was full and lines encircle both stores. Shear stupidity, in my opinion.

It's the fault of the corporations that there are idiots living in this country?

I would blame the nanny state more, because these people have been protected from their stupidity.

Wow, I certainly didn't see these lines being drawn!

Not unexpected, but in response to all those with the "black Friday is horrible" argument, I just have to say that for a lot of people, particularly in our current economic state, Black Friday offers them an opportunity to buy gifts, clothing, other necessary items for the children, themselves and family. Obviously, the dark side of today are the people who are willing to resort to violence and disregard humanity for waffle irons, but there are plenty of people who do not stoop so low and definitely benefit from the discounts on this day.

You are welcome to try the alternative.

third-world-starvation.jpg

Ah yes, the usual bull**** fallacy whenever someone is critical of the system -- either shut up because you should count yourself lucky it's not the bottom of the barrel, or shut up because the bottom of the barrel is the only alternative available.

The very fact that America is such a great country is why we can expect better of her, be critical of her failings even in the face of monumental suffering elsewhere.

It's the fault of the corporations that there are idiots living in this country?

I would blame the nanny state more, because these people have been protected from their stupidity.
Huh? :coffeepap:

You must live in binary world. It's either black or white, 1 or 0 to you - absolutely nothing in between. I live in a different world that you do. Perhaps you've picked the wrong moniker for yourself...

I stood around and conversed with nice people for two hours while in Best Buy, even though incredibly crowded. A ton of please and thank you's were exchanged, even though you could hardly move in the store. Smiles galore. Walmart was pleasant as hell. Not a peep here. All is quiet on the Northern front. We are pleasant folk. Thank you corporate America for providing a better leisurely lifestyle for me and my family.

Last edited:
Yeah, like expressing disgust at women who spit in the street. Same people, no doubt.

Well that's understandable, though.

If I spite I try to do it in the grass. Doing otherwise is just gross :D

Not unexpected, but in response to all those with the "black Friday is horrible" argument, I just have to say that for a lot of people, particularly in our current economic state, Black Friday offers them an opportunity to buy gifts, clothing, other necessary items for the children, themselves and family. Obviously, the dark side of today are the people who are willing to resort to violence and disregard humanity for waffle irons, but there are plenty of people who do not stoop so low and definitely benefit from the discounts on this day.

Yeah, I know many of them were all giddy over the chance to get a $2 waffle maker. But you do have a point. Sadly, greed defines America, top to bottom.

I stood around and conversed with nice people for two hours while in Best Buy, even though incredibly crowded. A ton of please and thank you's were exchanged, even though you could hardly move in the store. Smiles galore. Walmart was pleasant as hell. Not a peep here. All is quiet on the Northern front. We are pleasant folk. Thank you corporate America for providing a better leisurely lifestyle for me and my family.

America is perhaps the only country on earth that lives to work rather than works to live. "Leisurely" is a fallacy except for a very few. But Corpgov is not doubt most pleased that you still buy into that leisurely load of caca.

Back
Top Bottom