• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Vinton County Woman Wants Possessions Back After Bank Tried To Repossess Wrong House

Vinton County Woman Wants Possessions Back After Bank Tried To Repossess Wrong

I'm curious - since the bank and the repo company went after the wrong house, couldn't the homeowner have both criminally charged with break and enter and grand larceny? If you went into your neighbours house and took all their stuff, I'm pretty sure the police wouldn't just leave it for you and your neighbour to argue out in court.

I've been thinking about that myself. The problem with larceny or burglary charges is that they require proof of criminal intent. If they (the bank and its repo agents) believed that they were lawfully seizing property that belonged to them there's no criminal intent. If they sold or otherwise benefited from the property that was taken after being on notice that they didn't have any right to it that would be criminal (probably misappropriation or possibly embezzlement).

Barring criminal charges, her best bet is a civil case, in which case she can (and should) get both compensatory damages and any gains made by the bank from the property, along with possibly punitive damages (to the extent that the bank willfully screwed her) and very likely attorneys fees as well. Of course that's a best case scenario, and unfortunately would probably take months to make its way through the courts.

Re: Vinton County Woman Wants Possessions Back After Bank Tried To Repossess Wrong

Interesting. I've personally never seen such a thing, but I can see the logic. I wonder how they handle cases involving corporations, though. It's not like the abstract concept of a corporate entity can speak on its own behalf. Hmm...
There's a lot in here, but I highlighted some pertinent parts...
The Small Claims Court, A Guide to Its Practical Use - California Department of Consumer Affairs

Who Can File or Defend a Claim?

With certain exceptions, anyone can sue or be sued in small claims court. Generally, all parties must represent themselves.

An individual can sue another individual or a business. A business, in turn, can sue an individual or another business. However, an assignee (a person or business that sues on behalf of another, such as a collection agency) can't sue in small claims court. A federal agency may not be sued in small claims court.

To file or defend a case in small claims court, you must be (a) at least 18 years old or legally emancipated, and (b) mentally competent. A person must be represented by a Guardian ad Litem if he or she is under 18 and not legally emancipated, or has been declared mentally incompetent by a court. For a minor, the representative is ordinarily one of his or her parents. A small claims clerk or small claims adviser can explain how to have a guardian ad litem appointed.

Can Someone Else Represent You?

In most situations, parties to a small claims action must represent themselves. As a general rule, attorneys or non-attorney representatives (such as debt collection agencies or insurance companies) may not represent you in small claims court. Self-representation is usually required. There are, however, several exceptions to this general rule:

If the court determines that a party is unable to properly present his or her claim or defense for any reason, the court may allow another individual to assist that party. The individual who helps you can only provide assistance—the individual’s participation in court cannot amount to legal representation, and the person can't be an attorney.

Corporation or other legal entity — A corporation or other legal entity (that is not a natural person) can be represented by a regular employee, an officer, or a director; a partnership can be represented by a partner or regular employee of the partnership, but the representative may not be an attorney or person whose only job is to represent the party in small claims court.
Property agent — A property agent may represent the owner of rental property if the property agent was hired principally to manage the rental of that property and not principally to represent the property owner in small claims court and the claim relates to the rental property. At the hearing, the agent should tell the judge that he or she was hired and is employed principally to manage the property. This statement may also be in a written declaration. A common interest development also may appear and participate in a small claims action through an agent.
Sole proprietorship — In a case in which a claim can be proved or disputed by evidence of an account that constitutes a business record, and there is no other issue in the case, a sole proprietorship (such as a physician) can be represented by a regular employee who is employed for purposes other than solely representing the proprietor in small claims court actions, and who is qualified to testify to the identity and mode of preparation of the business record. In that situation, the employee must be able to testify that (1) the evidence of the account was made in the regular course of business, (2) the evidence of the account was made at or near the time of the transaction, and (3) the sources of the information about the account and its time and method of preparation are such as to indicate their trustworthiness.

For example, this exception to the general rule of self-representation might permit a dentist's bookkeeper to represent the dentist in an action to collect a patient's account. However, if the patient alleged that the dentist's services were unnecessary or performed poorly, the case would involve another issue of fact, and the dentist would need to appear at the hearing in person. As in all actions to collect debts and accounts, the plaintiff's claim form must include an itemization of all fees and charges that have been added to the original loan amount or agreed price.

Re: Vinton County Woman Wants Possessions Back After Bank Tried To Repossess Wrong

There's a lot in here, but I highlighted some pertinent parts...

This is kind of embarrassing, but I'm an attorney working in California and I didn't know that. ;)

Of course there's no good reason I'd get involved in a small claims case anyhow.

This is kind of embarrassing, but I'm an attorney working in California and I didn't know that. ;)

Of course there's no good reason I'd get involved in a small claims case anyhow.

The ambulance outran you?

*rimshot*

The ambulance outran you?

*rimshot*

Touche, sir. ;)

Touche, sir. ;)

It almost seemed not worth my time to tell a lawyer joke to a lawyer. Usually they tell the best ones about themselves.

It almost seemed not worth my time to tell a lawyer joke to a lawyer. Usually they tell the best ones about themselves.

If you can't muster up a sense of humor about being a member of one of the most reviled professions in the world, you're taking life way too seriously.

If you can't muster up a sense of humor about being a member of one of the most reviled professions in the world, you're taking life way too seriously.

A doctor, a lawyer, and an accountant are all in a car, traveling to a professional conference. Car hits a patch of black ice, skids off the road, smacks into a mountain. All 3 are killed instantly.

All three "come to" and find themselves surrounded in clouds, with a white pearl gate in front of them. Suddenly a booming voice is heard: "Tell me of your good deeds, and I shall grant you into the kingdom of Heaven".

Doctor steps up.

"God, I've devoted my life to helping hurt and sick children."

Suddenly, the gates open and the voice says, "You may enter". Doctor walks toward the gates and goes through.

Lawyer steps up.

"God, I've spent my life helping people get justice against people and companies that have wronged them."

The voice then says, "You may enter" and the lawyer starts to walk through.

Suddenly the accountant steps up. "Whoa, wait a second. God, I've done the books on this man. He's flown the corporate jet all over the world, he's embezzled millions from the company, and he used his expense account to take his mistress on vacation."

Suddenly the sky goes red, and the gates slam shut.

Lawyer turns to the accountant and says, "What the hell did you do that for? Now I'm going to go to hell.".

Accountant looks at him and says, "I need company, don't I?".

Back
Top Bottom