• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Vince Lombardi Attended Mass 365 Days a Year. Leftwing Sports Media Completely Omits/Ignores His Devout Catholicism

Yes, you've mentioned "conspiracy." Are you aware of any athletes who have complained that when interviewed, they weren't asked about their faith?
I don't think most Christian athletes would complain about such a thing. I also don't know if it happens that they aren't asked. But I DO know it's not reported by the MSM when the stories come out. I did find an exception with the USA Today reporting Kobe attended daily mass sometimes.

Not the CRA, but I do think the incessant race-baiting and religious divisiveness in the media is at the direction of Marxist superfunders. There is no way the 'spontaneous' daily protests in every major city after every single black death at the hands of a policeman or policewoman is authentic. You should be asking yourself about these riots are "Who is paying to bus people in?" "Who is paying for the signs and banners?" "Who is coordinating the message?" This is all ginned up, all orchestrated, and all paid for by the far-left moneychangers. The favorable media coverage of these fake riots is also organized and financed by said Marxist moneychangers.

Looks like the Birchers were right on the money about Marxist infiltration.

“Far left money changers” is an oxymoron bud. Your conspiracy theories are amusing but, as usual, totally lacking in any basis in fact.

The Birchers claimed the Civil Rights Movement was a “Marxist Plot”. Clearly they weren’t “right on the money” about anything.

“Far left money changers” is an oxymoron bud. Your conspiracy theories are amusing but, as usual, totally lacking in any basis in fact.

The Birchers claimed the Civil Rights Movement was a “Marxist Plot”. Clearly they weren’t “right on the money” about anything.

You don't think leftist/atheist Soros is a multi-billionaire? You don't think Soros has donated $36 billion to far-left causes worldwide? You don't think Soros' stated goal is to eliminate US capitalism?

I don't think most Christian athletes would complain about such a thing. I also don't know if it happens that they aren't asked. But I DO know it's not reported by the MSM when the stories come out. I did find an exception with the USA Today reporting Kobe attended daily mass sometimes.

"Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.

“So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

“And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.

--- Matthew 6: 1-8

"Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.

“So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

“And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.

--- Matthew 6: 1-8
These guys didn't do that. Maybe Coach K's little prayer on the bench before the game. But that was to himself pretty much.

These guys didn't do that. Maybe Coach K's little prayer on the bench before the game. But that was to himself pretty much.

Faith is faith. Sports are sports. I don't go church to have the priest tell me which teams covered the spread in last night's games... so why would I want to hear about the starting Tight End's religious beliefs? That's between him and his Creator, is it not?

Faith is faith. Sports are sports. I don't go church to have the priest tell me which teams covered the spread in last night's games... so why would I want to hear about the starting Tight End's religious beliefs? That's between him and his Creator, is it not?
When journalists write stories about what motivates an athlete, why would they not mention the biggest motivating factor for them? Why the constant effort to hide it?

When a sports hero is a devout Catholic, that fact is completely ignored.
The great Vince Lombardi attended daily Mass every single day of the year. Nobody in this room knew that until they read my post right here.

Why would anyone give a crap about his religion. People were interested in him because of sports. They have nothing to do with each other. The reason people talk about religion derisively in the context of sports, is because it has nothing to do with sports and when people try to inject it into sports, they are deserving of derision.

Why would anyone give a crap about his religion. People were interested in him because of sports. They have nothing to do with each other.
Lombardi disagreed. If you're going to do a bio on Lombardi, if you don't mention his faith, you aren't trying to do a truthful biography. It was everything to him.

I think a whole lot of people would not only care, but would use it to better their own lives.

When journalists write stories about what motivates an athlete, why would they not mention the biggest motivating factor for them? Why the constant effort to hide it?

Because I don't see the connection. Reggie White was an ordained minister... but I sincerely doubt it was his faith that provided the motivation to plant opposing Quarterbacks into the turf of Lambeau Field every Sabbath.

Because I don't see the connection. Reggie White was an ordained minister... but I sincerely doubt it was his faith that provided the motivation to plant opposing Quarterbacks into the turf of Lambeau Field every Sabbath.
It doesn't matter how you feel about it. How did Reggie feel? I suspect his faith was very important in all aspects of his life, including football.

It doesn't matter how you feel about it. How did Reggie feel? I suspect his faith was very important in all aspects of his life, including football.

That was his business. He had his faith, I've got mine. And as I quoted from Matthew, faith isn't something for public consumption - it's a personal thing. If he saw fit to preach faith and football to his congregation, that was entirely up to him. As a sports fan, though, I don't want to hear about it.

That was his business. He had his faith, I've got mine. And as I quoted from Matthew, faith isn't something for public consumption - it's a personal thing. If he saw fit to preach faith and football to his congregation, that was entirely up to him. As a sports fan, though, I don't want to hear about it.
I love hearing about it. I find it inspirational.

Lombardi disagreed. If you're going to do a bio on Lombardi, if you don't mention his faith, you aren't trying to do a truthful biography. It was everything to him.

I think a whole lot of people would not only care, but would use it to better their own lives.

Obviously he didn't disagree. He never made a spectacle of his faith. As you said, nobody knew how devout he was until you made a spectacle of it in this thread.

Yep it does. We all worship something. If it's not God, it's something else.

'Worship' is defined as 'the feeling or expression of reverence and adoration for a deity', therefore your assumption is false, as many don't feel the need to engage in such a primitive practice. I think apologists posit such nonsense in order to present atheists as being the same in that regard and it is quite insulting to say least.

Last edited:

I think that most of us learned early that topics to avoid include religion and politics (also sex and salaries). And context matters--is the journalist doing a personal interest story on an athlete (religion might be relevant) or asking about game-day predictions or an NBA ruling (probably not). Most of us regard our faith as a private matter and, in fact, asking about someone's religion is often not just wildly inappropriate, but also illegal.

I've spent some time now Googling around, and I've worked as a journo myself. I don't think there is any conspiracy to conceal athletes' religious beliefs or practices, just that with the exception of a personal interest/biography story, it's generally not relevant or appropriate any more than asking how many times the athlete had sex that week. And my guess is that most athletes want to talk about the team and the game.

How many sports readers will be interested in a story such as this one? My guess is that most readers will click away unless they themselves are religious. The 25 Most Religious Athletes | Bleacher Report | Latest News, Videos and Highlights

Were team members asked before the Super Bowl whether they'd been to church/synagogue/mosque over the weekend? Why would they be? Wouldn't a fair answer be "None of your business"? Why would it be except as it has an impact on the game? Here are the ledes from a 2016 Daily Mail article that indicate when inquiries about an athlete's faith would be:
  • Religious sports stars face tough task balancing their faith and their job
  • Christians often say they will not compete in events on Sundays
  • Muslims contend with holy month of Ramadan when they have to fast
  • Jews face dilemma when games take place on holy days like Yom Kippur

In case you didn't know, sports journalism is exactly the same as news journalism. It's covered from the same leftwing atheist perspective. When a sports hero is a devout Catholic, that fact is completely ignored.
The great Vince Lombardi attended daily Mass every single day of the year. Nobody in this room knew that until they read my post right here. Lombardi's Catholicism was his driving force in life; to help men become great citizens, to achieve, to accomplish, to show excellence. It's essentially the American dream which Lombardi, the offspring of immigrants fully understood. These are the values despised by the atheist left. One has to wonder, in fact, when Lombardi will join the founding fathers in being discredited abusive racist 'plantation owners'.

Coach K crosses himself and says a prayer before every game. I've never heard it commented on by any broadcaster.

Roger Staubach is among the great quarterbacks. A deeply Catholic man. Has helped many a down-and-out ex-teammate. Most notably, he gave drug abuser Thomas Henderson a job at his thriving commercial real estate company.

KC Chiefs' outstanding kicker Harrison Butker is another devout Catholic. His #1 goal is not to be the greatest NFL kicker; it's to become a saint in Heaven.

The only time you hear religion discussed by the sports media is when they do so derisively. Tim Tebow was mocked by other players with his genuflecting after TDs. Here Tebow was a Heismann Trophy winner, won a college national championship, and he was ridiculed as an NFL quarterback, despite the fact that he had a winning record as a starter. They hated the guy because he was an outspoken Christian.

Kobe Bryant attended 7:00 a.m. daily Mass frequently with his daughter. How many in here know that? A black superstar who is a devout Catholic? The godless PC media CANNOT let that get out.

No, the media worships 'woke' sports superstars with their baby mamas. Lebron James who had two children with his girlfriend (although he is now married). Ditto media darling Patrick Mahomes. There is no criticism of all the athletes who have children out of wedlock. The one that takes the cake though, was the story about Chicago Bulls' star Derrick Rose physically fighting with a teammate. What were they fighting about? The other player was going out with Rose's secondary girlfriend. Not his main girlfriend, mind you; not the mother of his children. Of course there was never any mention of a wife. Many of these guys don't even bother marrying. Naturally, the leftwing media was indifferent about the whole immoral relationship situation; their angle was discord among teammates.

Nobody raises an eyebrow about sexual immorality anymore. This was one of the Communist goals for America, the degradation of the family, society sanction of immorality, and the discrediting of religion, especially the Catholic Church.

In a sane world, the media celebrates and amplifies when sports stars are devoutly religious. They could spread that message as an example to thousands of young fans. But they don't.

Although I do not believe in "God" (considering the sickening suffering in this world, how could one?), I still do admire those people who are able to pretend that "God" exists.

I am sure that Mr. Lombardi must gain much spiritual strength from Mass each day in order to face the horrors of life.

The rituals of the Catholic Church (Mass, saints, relics, etc.) are very comforting.

I wish the Catholic Church the best of luck.

I think that most of us learned early that topics to avoid include religion and politics (also sex and salaries). And context matters--is the journalist doing a personal interest story on an athlete (religion might be relevant) or asking about game-day predictions or an NBA ruling (probably not). Most of us regard our faith as a private matter and, in fact, asking about someone's religion is often not just wildly inappropriate, but also illegal.

I've spent some time now Googling around, and I've worked as a journo myself. I don't think there is any conspiracy to conceal athletes' religious beliefs or practices, just that with the exception of a personal interest/biography story, it's generally not relevant or appropriate any more than asking how many times the athlete had sex that week. And my guess is that most athletes want to talk about the team and the game.

How many sports readers will be interested in a story such as this one? My guess is that most readers will click away unless they themselves are religious. The 25 Most Religious Athletes | Bleacher Report | Latest News, Videos and Highlights

Were team members asked before the Super Bowl whether they'd been to church/synagogue/mosque over the weekend? Why would they be? Wouldn't a fair answer be "None of your business"? Why would it be except as it has an impact on the game? Here are the ledes from a 2016 Daily Mail article that indicate when inquiries about an athlete's faith would be:
  • Religious sports stars face tough task balancing their faith and their job
  • Christians often say they will not compete in events on Sundays
  • Muslims contend with holy month of Ramadan when they have to fast
  • Jews face dilemma when games take place on holy days like Yom Kippur
Well, in post-game conferences, reporters ask every inane question in the book. If a religious player gives an answer that involves his faith in Jesus Christ, that meme is never expounded upon by the media in coverage of the post-game conferences. It's glossed over. Any other response gets due coverage.

Occasionally Duke telecasts show Coach K finishing his prayer and crossing himself. There is never any comment about it. You might think the announcer might occasionally mention "....as Coach K completes his pre-game prayer" or "This is something Coach K does before every game". If he were pictured doing any other ritual, it would be commented about some of the time.

And your comment about religion and politics being avoided certainly doesn't apply to politics. Guys like Lebron wear their leftwing politics on their sleeve, and the media gobbles it up. Lavishly reports on it. No such treatment for Christianity.

'Worship' is defined as 'the feeling or expression of reverence and adoration for a deity', therefore your assumption is false, as many don't feel the need to engage in such a primitive practice. I think apologists posit such nonsense in order to present atheists as being the same in that regard and it is quite insulting to say least.
You talk about atheists being insulted, yet in the same post you talk about the primitive practice of religion

Why wouldn't an athlete know best about what motivates him?
Motivation is one thing, but its just motivation and if he wasn't talented, had the right types of intelligence, or interested in football, all the motivation in the world would not have mattered as he wouldn't have been born with the innate factors to be a success in this field. Now having these factors often can come from God, but not necessarily from Catholicism which it appears you are making the mistake of equating the two very different things together as Catholicism is just one of many valid expressions of Christianity, but is not Christianity itself nor is it God or Jesus.

The second aspect of this is that motivation is just motivation and one can be motivated for all sorts of reasons, personal glory, its fun, hedonism, getting away from boredom, etc. But the key factor is the motivation itself in terms of making the choice to do something and do something well. What drives the motivation isn't always all that important.

Lastly, the claim that someone being Catholic driving them to do well in football is just odd in general. I don't recall anywhere in the bible where sports was discussed, unless one tortures Paul's comment about winning the race beyond its intended meaning. Is there something in the Catechism perhaps about football?

Why wouldn't an athlete know best about what motivates him?
Sure they would and for many many many athletes it isnt God and if it is it isnt necessarily the one you pretend to believe in

You talk about atheists being insulted, yet in the same post you talk about the primitive practice of religion

Has it not been a feature of our species from our earliest history? Of course it has, and many have shed the need for primitive desires, such as ritualistic worship and the belief in the supernatural. Is that not also true? There is no sound reason to believe that such belief systems have any basis in fact, so why does our species still cling to such nonsense?

Back
Top Bottom