• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Vietnam vet who rescued dozens of US soldiers awarded Medal of Honor

JANFU

Land by the Gulf Stream
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
Vietnam vet who rescued dozens of US soldiers awarded Medal of Honor | Fox News

Kettles repeatedly returned to a landing zone under heavy fire. He is credited with helping to save 40 soldiers and four members of his unit. During the final evacuation effort, he was advised that eight soldiers had been unable to reach the helicopters, so he returned without benefit of artillery or tactical aircraft support.

The Army said his helicopter was hit by a mortar round that damaged the main rotor blade and shattered both front windshields. Small arms and machine gun fire also raked the helicopter.

"In spite of the severe damage to his helicopter, Kettles once more skillfully guided his heavily damaged aircraft to safety," the Army said in describing his actions. "Without his courageous actions and superior flying skills, the last group of soldiers and his crew would never have made it off the battlefield."

I saw President Obama present the medal today live. I was awestruck listening to what Kettles did, and what he said about it. I was also impressed with the way the President handled himself during the ceremony as well.

I saw President Obama present the medal today live. I was awestruck listening to what Kettles did, and what he said about it. I was also impressed with the way the President handled himself during the ceremony as well.

It wasn't about Obama. It was about an American hero and hero he was.

Back
Top Bottom