• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Vietnam building deterrent against China in disputed seas with Submarines.....

MMC

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Private
Looks like the Vietnamese will play with China's head.....while at the same time Putin gets to drop a sale of 3 more subs on them in 2 years. What say ye?

Vietnam will soon have a credible naval deterrent to China in the South China Sea in the form of Kilo-class submarines from Russia, which experts say could make Beijing think twice before pushing its much smaller neighbor around in disputed waters. A master of guerrilla warfare, Vietnam has taken possession of two of the state-of-the-art submarines and will get a third in November under a $2.6 billion deal agreed with Moscow in 2009. A final three are scheduled to be delivered within two years.

The Vietnamese are likely to run so-called area denial operations off its coast and around its military bases in the Spratly island chain of the South China Sea once the submarines are fully operational, experts said. That would complicate Chinese calculations over any military move against Vietnamese holdings in the Spratlys or in the event of an armed clash over disputed oil fields, even though China has a much larger navy, including a fleet of 70 submarines, they added.....snip~

Vietnam building deterrent against China in disputed seas with submarines

Well, at least this piece reported that China has 70 Submarines.....How many do you think we have?

Well, at least this piece reported that China has 70 Submarines.....How many do you think we have?

How many ? Seaworthy ?

I lost count after the Nautilus. ..... (that's suppose to be a funny :mrgreen:)

Thom Paine

How many ? Seaworthy ?

I lost count after the Nautilus. ..... (that's suppose to be a funny :mrgreen:)

Thom Paine

Mornin' Thom. :2wave: As soon as I seen they said 70 Chinese Subs.....I was like how are we going to compete with that?

Mornin' Thom. :2wave: As soon as I seen they said 70 Chinese Subs.....I was like how are we going to compete with that?

Evenin" M

Yeah it seems rather formidable to me. Think I'll see if 'Janes' has anything on it.. The big -O- is drawing down our defenses to a dangerous point.

Make it a great day

Thom Paine

Evenin" M

Yeah it seems rather formidable to me. Think I'll see if 'Janes' has anything on it.. The big -O- is drawing down our defenses to a dangerous point.

Make it a great day

Thom Paine

According to what I am being told. We have over 70 ourselves. So the Chinese have already equaled us in Numbers.

Looks like the Vietnamese will play with China's head.....while at the same time Putin gets to drop a sale of 3 more subs on them in 2 years. What say ye?

Vietnam will soon have a credible naval deterrent to China in the South China Sea in the form of Kilo-class submarines from Russia, which experts say could make Beijing think twice before pushing its much smaller neighbor around in disputed waters. A master of guerrilla warfare, Vietnam has taken possession of two of the state-of-the-art submarines and will get a third in November under a $2.6 billion deal agreed with Moscow in 2009. A final three are scheduled to be delivered within two years.

The Vietnamese are likely to run so-called area denial operations off its coast and around its military bases in the Spratly island chain of the South China Sea once the submarines are fully operational, experts said. That would complicate Chinese calculations over any military move against Vietnamese holdings in the Spratlys or in the event of an armed clash over disputed oil fields, even though China has a much larger navy, including a fleet of 70 submarines, they added.....snip~

I think Vietnam could better use $2.6 billion on its citizens. A few subs will not deter China.

I think Vietnam could better use $2.6 billion on its citizens. A few subs will not deter China.

Heya WN. :2wave: Yeah not when China has 70 of their own. I don't think 5 will give them any trouble.

Its China's fault for starting an arms race in the region.

When was the last time you been down the aisle of your supermarket where the Ramen Noodles are ?
12 packs of Ramen Noodles at $2.

BTW:

When Americans are shopping at Target, WalMart, Harbor Freight Tools, etc. who do you think is paying for China's submarines.

Who started an arms race again? I thought there was an "a" in the name, but I forget if there were a couple a's or just one.

5 letter country- starts with a "C" and ends with an "a", if you cant figure that out then you need to go back to school...

5 letter country- starts with a "C" and ends with an "a", if you cant figure that out then you need to go back to school...

Are you sure it started with a "c" and not another "a"? I could have sworn that was it.

I love this news! I can just picture the faces of Chinese leadership when they heard this news... "But I thought we were friends!"

Also, as far as our subs to theirs, one LA Class could take down several Chinese subs before ever seeing her, and the Sea Wolf... well they might as well stay at port and not even waste their time.

Are you sure it started with a "c" and not another "a"? I could have sworn that was it.

Ha! Not in this case, this whole thing is China all the way. Actually, we've become pretty friendly with Vietnam, but we're not exactly been supplying them with arms...

I love this news! I can just picture the faces of Chinese leadership when they heard this news... "But I thought we were friends!"

Also, as far as our subs to theirs, one LA Class could take down several Chinese subs before ever seeing her, and the Sea Wolf... well they might as well stay at port and not even waste their time.

Ha! Not in this case, this whole thing is China all the way. Actually, we've become pretty friendly with Vietnam, but we're not exactly been supplying them with arms...

Well that was until their one sub showed up at RIMPAC.....undetected at First. But then was picked up after they were in the zone.

Plus the Japanese was giving Vietnam 5 used ships to.....Coast Guard type. The Vietnamese need to think about some destroyers.

Well that was until their one sub showed up at RIMPAC.....undetected at First. But then was picked up after they were in the zone.

Plus the Japanese was giving Vietnam 5 used ships to.....Coast Guard type. The Vietnamese need to think about some destroyers.

Vietnam's main objective in a conflict with China wouldn't be to protect the South China Seas, but to make China feel the pain by attacking the shipping that China so desperately relies on. Submarines accomplish this goal far more than Destroyers would.

Vietnam's main objective in a conflict with China wouldn't be to protect the South China Seas, but to make China feel the pain by attacking the shipping that China so desperately relies on. Submarines accomplish this goal far more than Destroyers would.

Yeah that is true.....I was thinking more defensively for the Vietnamese. Since China has 70 Subs.

Yeah that is true.....I was thinking more defensively for the Vietnamese. Since China has 70 Subs.

Problem with having a surface fleet is that any such fleet would be taken out by China's massive air force rather quickly:

TheRichest said:
Taking a huge leap over India’s air force is the might of the People’s Liberation Army Air Force (PLAAF), with approximately 1,500 combat aircraft. Statistics for the PLAAF are staggering: 330,000 active personnel operating over 2,500 aircraft. The Chinese also build their own fighters and bombers, such as the Mach 2.35-capable Shenyang J-11 and the Xian H-6 that can carry over 20,000 lbs of free-fall bombs. In direct conflict, there would be very few nations that could contain, never mind overpower, the Chinese Air Force.

You could however, as the Germans in WW2 demonstrated, maintain covert submarine bases that could continue to operate.

China all the way you say? Why is China arming itself exactly?

China all the way you say? Why is China arming itself exactly?

Not because of the US if that's were your going. China wants hegemony over Asia. It's the reason there isn't a country on it's border that they haven't been to war with in the last 50 or 60 years. Including countries you'd think were their allies (and have been) like Russia and, of course, Vietnam.

Back
Top Bottom