• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Video Shows Texas School Officer Body-Slamming 12-Year-Old Girl

JANFU

Land by the Gulf Stream
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/08/u...-region&region=bottom-well&WT.nav=bottom-well

The San Antonio school district is investigating an encounter captured on a cellphone video that showed a school police officer slamming a 12-year-old girl face first to the sidewalk.

The video, apparently shot by a student and posted online Tuesday by Ghost-O, a local news blog, has ricocheted across social media and has prompted the district to start an inquiry and put the officer, identified as Joshua Kehm, on paid administrative leave.

“The video is very disturbing and we immediately launched a formal investigation, which is being conducted by both district police and administration,” Leslie Price, a spokeswoman for the school district, said in an email.
Thoughts are?

Attempted murder charge.

While the clip does not show what premeditated this incident... For all intents and purposes it does appear to be a staggering overreaction by the officer.

My thoughts are, the girl is lying when she laughably claims "she would never fight".. and was just going to talk to the mean girl who said some hurtful words (all the while kids gathering in a circle to watch the fight).

My second thought is the girl was trying to hurt the officer with kicks to the groin and legs. This was confirmed by the officer and other students that witnessed the incident.

Not saying it's justified or not, just hard to say for certain based on the little snippet we have... but I absolutely believe the girl is lying.

My thoughts are, the girl is lying when she laughably claims "she would never fight".. and was just going to talk to the mean girl who said some hurtful words (all the while kids gathering in a circle to watch the fight).

My second thought is the girl was trying to hurt the officer with kicks to the groin and legs. This was confirmed by the officer and other students that witnessed the incident.

Not saying it's justified or not, just hard to say for certain based on the little snippet we have... but I absolutely believe the girl is lying.

You believe there is more to the story- yet you have hung this kid out to dry. The only info you would be looking for is more to hang her with?
Kids never, ever lie. Schools do not have cliques who harass others.
You mind has been made up.

You believe there is more to the story- yet you have hung this kid out to dry. The only info you would be looking for is more to hang her with?
Kids never, ever lie. Schools do not have cliques who harass others.
You mind has been made up.

Yes, word of fights get around school, which is how all the kids knew to gather to watch. Even one of the girls that was worried about the girl says "i told you not to do it". I can't say for certain, but it seems pretty easy to guess what that is in reference to.

Lastly, there were multiple witnesses that said she was kicking the officer multiple times prior to his reaction.

As these things go.. We get one little snippet of video with no information on what occurred prior to cause the reaction others are quick to denounce.

As usual, the liberal press only reports the story from a bad cop angle, not even telling the whole story. It's hard to make a judgment unless we know both sides of the story. I don't give her a free pass just because she was 12. How about telling us the whole story?

Thoughts are?

He said that Janissa told him that when the officer “grabbed her” from behind, she thought it was a student trying to attack her.

The girl’s mother, Gloria Valdez, was in a parking lot waiting to pick her up when she saw the commotion, Mr. Valdez said. The officer told Janissa’s mother that “he did what he had to do because he said my daughter was trying to kick him in the groin area,” he added. “He told my wife, ‘You know I can press charges on your daughter.’”

That underlined sentence? Supposedly it is information relayed from the father of his understanding of why she was acting violently towards the Officer.

That clearly suggests that she was acting violently towards the Officer.

The article reporting that others were telling her to "chill" is also an indication that she was acting out.

The Officer's job is to take control of the situation, this is done by arresting the person's activity.
So when you have young person that is acting out violently towards the Officer what should be done? Subdue them by take-down, or perhaps do you favor a taser?

If he had no other training in regards to taking down a young person, his actions are acceptable.

And your evidence of lying is what.

Look, I know about police work. And if that large, trained, heavily armed and armored cop can't arrest a 12 year old without extreme violence he doesn't deserve to be on the force. I know female members of the VPD half the size of this goon who could have walked even him out of there without incident.

Here's what I think happened, is that she did resist, and, shamed by the children making fun of him took it out on her.

So what is she's lying...she's 12 years old! You don't beat up children. Period.

He said that Janissa told him that when the officer “grabbed her” from behind, she thought it was a student trying to attack her.

The girl’s mother, Gloria Valdez, was in a parking lot waiting to pick her up when she saw the commotion, Mr. Valdez said. The officer told Janissa’s mother that “he did what he had to do because he said my daughter was trying to kick him in the groin area,” he added. “He told my wife, ‘You know I can press charges on your daughter.’”

That underlined sentence? Supposedly it is information relayed from the father of his understanding of why she was acting violently towards the Officer.

That clearly suggests that she was acting violently towards the Officer.

The article reporting that others were telling her to "chill" is also an indication that she was acting out.

The Officer's job is to take control of the situation, this is done by arresting the person's activity.
So when you have young person that is acting out violently towards the Officer what should be done? Subdue them by take-down, or perhaps do you favor a taser?

If he had no other training in regards to taking down a young person, his actions are acceptable.
Why bring up taser?
Reporters get info wrong all the time.
No his actions are not acceptable.

So when you have young person that is acting out violently towards the Officer what should be done? Subdue them by take-down, or perhaps do you favor a taser?.

There was a story about spring breakers a few weeks ago. The cops in multiple spring break locations were telling how it used to be they would tell the kids to move along or stop doing some activity, and the kids would comply. Now a days, they tell the kids to move along, and it often becomes a verbal altercation and sometimes more physical. Times have changed.

Why bring up taser?
It is pretty obvious why I did.
You have to subdue the person acting out. That is their job.

Reporters get info wrong all the time.
Irrelevant.
Unless there is information to say otherwise that is what we have to go on, not unsupportable made up bs of the likes which Fearandloathing wants to believe.

No his actions are not acceptable.
And again; "If he had no other training in regards to taking down a young person, his actions are acceptable."

You may not like it, but it be acceptable.

And your evidence of lying is what.

Kids gathering for a fight they knew was about to go down.
the assinine, I would never fight, why would I do such a thing statement.
Her friend saying "I told you not to do it".

Not proof... Certainly evidence.

Here's what I think happened, is that she did resist, and, shamed by the children making fun of him took it out on her.

There was no evidence of kids making fun of him. There is evidence that she was attacking him.

I'm still wondering why a uniformed police officer is the right tool for breaking up a middle school girl brawl. This was mentioned in the cell phone girl post too.
Has to be a safer, and cheaper way to be doing that.

I mean, hey let's let the marines quell a protested that got a little out of hand. OMG they were too rough! Well, yeah.

Kids gathering for a fight they knew was about to go down.
the assinine, I would never fight, why would I do such a thing statement.
Her friend saying "I told you not to do it".

Not proof... Certainly evidence.

There was no evidence of kids making fun of him. There is evidence that she was attacking him.

Ah, I meant something more than your word. Like a news item from a respected news outlet.

Sorry, but claims by anonymous people on the internet are worthless.

The cops a goon, and the kid did what kids do. Sop shoot her.

Ah, I meant something more than your word. Like a news item from a respected news outlet.

Sorry, but claims by anonymous people on the internet are worthless.

Have you not read much on this story?

Texas school police officer is caught on camera body slamming 12-year-old girl | Daily Mail Online

Some students told KSAT that they had seen Kehm try to resolve the situation peacefully and said he was kicked a number of times – something Janissa denies

The cops a goon, and the kid did what kids do. Sop shoot her.

I didn't realize that kids were supposed to be kicking cops. Live and learn, I guess. :roll:

Too much force, but the events that precede the incident could very well be worth pondering. If the incident revolved around an upcoming fight, as was stated, then that ought to be remembered. Not for the officer's conduct, but in terms of remembering the situation. In the end, the actions were inappropriate and should be dealt with accordingly.

I'm still wondering why a uniformed police officer is the right tool for breaking up a middle school girl brawl. This was mentioned in the cell phone girl post too.
Has to be a safer, and cheaper way to be doing that.

I mean, hey let's let the marines quell a protested that got a little out of hand. OMG they were too rough! Well, yeah.

They can be effective and should be used to maintain a safe environment. However, this is still a school.

Whenever I see videos like this I ask myself "Are we seeing the whole incident, or only the results people want us to see."

Arguably, much mayhem may have been going on prior to the start of this video.

Still...this type of body slam was unnecessary when comparing the capabilities of each of the participants.

Slamming her like that could lead to all sorts of unnecessary physical trauma to the perpetrator.

That officer clearly had the strength to pick her up and slam her down. That means he had enough strength to use other methods to prevent further struggles from this particular perpetrator.

For example, he could easily have used a leg sweep and then a controlled descent to place her in a prone position.

My two cents anyway. :twocents:

Last edited:
Doesn't look very good.

And slamming her on her head seems like an ill advised move.

I'm amazed how often in the heat of the moment, coppers can forget they're always liable to be video'd.

But regardless of all the above, there's not enough preceding context here to make an informed judgement in my opinion.

Important to remember this is about kids not a criminal so very important what kind of training the school officers get. Do they get training to diffuse situation and to understand kids behavior? Also do they get training of to handling violent situation with as little force as possible and also potential life threating risk with handling violent situations the wrong way? This is something not only school officers in America but knowledge all police officers in all countries should have.

Diffusing situation is something important also with adults. For example you have police officers that have very few violent encounters while you have somethat have many violent encounters. Then you look at the officers thathave many violent encounters you can in many case argue that the useof force was justified and even that the ”jerk deserved it”. Butin many of those situation the officers could have done a lot more to diffuse the situation and in many cases instead escalated thesituation.

Here in my hometown in Sweden we had a example like that their a young man launched with twoknife at the police officers and shot dead by them. The officers wasfreed of all charges and it was seen as a obvious justified shot. The big problem was that they police officers had screamed and tauntedhim for fifteen minutes before he launched at them instead of justwaiting for the negotiator and see to that he didn't leave the house.That they also knew that he was alone in the house and that he hadmental problems.

I would like to hear more information. No way there is enough in that video to evaluate either party.

This demonstrates what Philip Zimbardo called "The Lucifer Effect", the behavior of guards in a prison setting. Predictable behavior.

As ACLU is saying, police should be taken out of public schools. Their presence has harmful effects. Incidents such as this one have been on the TV news for a number of years.

Back
Top Bottom