• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Video: open carry activists shocked to encounter constitutional sheriff

Montecresto

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Well this is certainly refreshing, wouldn't mind seeing more of this.

While protesting the Syrian intervention and open carrying three AR-15 rifles, members of the group noticed a law enforcement officer headed towards them.

“We saw the OC Sheriff car pull up so we all took out our camera-phones right away, anticipating trouble,” the video description reads. “This officer gets out of his car, waves to us, and walks right over.”

“Are you guys out here scaring the general public again?” Deputy Paul Buell jokes as he approaches the group. “This is what I call dedication to the cause, out here in the rain.”

Deputy Buell calmly and casually strikes up a conversation with the group, asking about their Ron Paul sign, Rand Paul’s shot at the presidency and even the NRA, immediately setting a positive tone for the encounter.

“I’m out to catch bad guys, not people that are exercising their constitutional rights,” Buell says as cars honk in support of the group.

Buell goes on to inform the group as to why he came out, explaining that some of the public is uneducated on the issue of guns and gun rights due to the media.

“You guys don’t intend on scaring anybody, you intend on educating people,” Buell says.

Read more: Video: Open Carry Activists Shocked To Encounter Constitutional Sheriff

One would hope that most sheriffs are familiar with local gun laws and not out to create an incident which could escalate to violence by handling people who are behaving in a lawful manner like criminals. I would imagine a crowd of armed people marching would be a place where a police presence should be. You never know when some objector to the protest would turn violent and having the police present should let the locals outside of the march know not to bother 911 with reports because it is legal. Plus they might need to direct traffic or someone might get some heat stroke and need some medical assistance. They are not just there to arrest people. In reality a public display of responsible gun ownership is a visible event which can offset the negative visible events which will always find some place in the public eye. I have been saying for a long time the responsible gun owners of america needs to start putting the guntards at the back of the bus where they belong and ditch radicalizing organizations like the NRA for something that doesn't give the loonies a megaphone. It is all to obvious the loud gun rights advocates are often the ones you wouldn't trust with a straw and some wet paper. It is sad that the more responsible gun owners are much quieter, rarely heard from, and are not compensating for something.

One would hope that most sheriffs are familiar with local gun laws and not out to create an incident which could escalate to violence by handling people who are behaving in a lawful manner like criminals. I would imagine a crowd of armed people marching would be a place where a police presence should be. You never know when some objector to the protest would turn violent and having the police present should let the locals outside of the march know not to bother 911 with reports because it is legal. Plus they might need to direct traffic or someone might get some heat stroke and need some medical assistance. They are not just there to arrest people. In reality a public display of responsible gun ownership is a visible event which can offset the negative visible events which will always find some place in the public eye. I have been saying for a long time the responsible gun owners of america needs to start putting the guntards at the back of the bus where they belong and ditch radicalizing organizations like the NRA for something that doesn't give the loonies a megaphone. It is all to obvious the loud gun rights advocates are often the ones you wouldn't trust with a straw and some wet paper. It is sad that the more responsible gun owners are much quieter, rarely heard from, and are not compensating for something.

"guntards" and "compensating"... terms sure to engender rational and reasonable discussion to be sure. :roll:

"guntards" and "compensating"... terms sure to engender rational and reasonable discussion to be sure. :roll:

Is there a better name for people who act irresponsibly with guns and deal with them like toys? Is there a better term for a guy who bases his masculinity on the size of his purchased gun? Pretending those people do not exist doesn't make them go away. It just makes you seem like you ignore reality. I can understand why it might bother you to admit to the truth of some gun owners when you are trying to pretend guns are pretty harmless, but we see them all the time. Earlier this weekend some guntard was playing stick em up with a three year old and shot the kid in the face because he was a guntard. Accidental deaths, injuries, and just plain old accidental discharges seem to happen all the time. Like I said, those events get news coverage almost automatically.

What would you call those people?

Is there a better name for people who act irresponsibly with guns and deal with them like toys? Is there a better term for a guy who bases his masculinity on the size of his purchased gun? Pretending those people do not exist doesn't make them go away. It just makes you seem like you ignore reality. I can understand why it might bother you to admit to the truth of some gun owners when you are trying to pretend guns are pretty harmless, but we see them all the time. Earlier this weekend some guntard was playing stick em up with a three year old and shot the kid in the face because he was a guntard. Accidental deaths, injuries, and just plain old accidental discharges seem to happen all the time. Like I said, those events get news coverage almost automatically.

The thing is you're equating the guy who shot a kid in the face through gross negligence with people who are simply passionate.

The two are not necessarily the same. Not in most cases.

These kind of negative generalizations don't make for productive discussion. You could have made your point without being needlessly inflammatory.

I myself am somewhat ambivalent about those who engage in open-carry demos that aim for confrontations with police, complete with videotape... but there are ways to go about discussing this that don't involve needlessly inflammatory terminology, and are more likely to make an actual impression on someone other than just pissing them off.

Last edited:
deleted

Last edited:
The thing is you're equating the guy who shot a kid in the face through gross negligence with people who are simply passionate.

Actually I separated the two. One was a guntard, and depending on how the passion manifests the other is compensating for his, or her, inadequecies. Wow, i cannot spell that, maybe i should get a gun and start running around with it telling everyone how great i am because i purchased something.

The two are not necessarily the same. Not in most cases.

This is true, a person who buys a gun to compensate is perfectly capable of acting in a safe manner with it, though that becomes less likely because bragging and showing off is often done in an unsafe manner. The guntard obviously does not behave in a safe manner.

These kind of negative generalizations don't make for productive discussion. You could have made your point without being needlessly inflammatory.

I understand that these ideas may cause some to feel negatively about their behavior, but it is the truth of the matter. I am quite sure these guys who kill their kids feel insulted when you tell them they are a guntard, but they are. You have to call the **** out and not let some idiot just keep acting dangerously around you because it might hurt their feelings when you grab their gun from them, smack them in the back of the head, and send them to the corner like a child until they grow a brain and stop pointing a gun at you when they do not intend or want to shoot you. If it is a choice between taking a bullet accidentally and making an idiot feel like crap I will chose the latter every time. No I am not polite about that sort of thing.

As for the guys compensating for some lacking they have, there is really no good way to put such a thing that does not draw attention to their failings. If you want to jump around with them and pretend they are a great person for buying a gun and none of their other failures matter, that is up to you. I realized a long time ago an idiot who tries to buy their skill with an overpriced weapon is still a squid. Kiss their ass, maybe they will let you play with it for a bit. personally i got better things to do than to ***** foot around some fragile ego who pumps itself up with it's purse. It is also not just guns that do it. You can apply it to overpriced cars, brand whores like itards, and any other dufus who loves status symbols over substance. Honestly, I find no nice way to put that in a politically correct term, so i just say it flat out. This way people know what I am talking about, and most often the people who I am talking about understand i am talking about them. People with confidence who know they are not guntards or compensating for something do not get all defensive because they understand where i am coming from. They have seen it.

But the op is about people acting responsible and being recognised as such by the sheriffs deputy.

But the op is about people acting responsible and being recognised as such by the sheriffs deputy.

Not my fault, the subject was changed and i was asked to clarify. I clearly said before it was good that responsible gun owners were out there in the public eye showing they are not all guntards or compensating for something.

Not my fault, the subject was changed and i was asked to clarify. I clearly said before it was good that responsible gun owners were out there in the public eye showing they are not all guntards or compensating for something.

The hell it isn't, you're the one that changed any subject that was changed.................RIGHT THERE AT POST #2. Don't come in here acting all innocent, you came here to do exactly what you did, throw around the term guntard.

Quit reading pretty early on. But why is that libs think anyone is "compensating" for anything?
I cant just like guns and excersize my 2A without stupid assumptions.
Maybe I think you are compensating by trying to insult people that you would dare never say a cross word to. Face to face.

Actually I separated the two. One was a guntard, and depending on how the passion manifests the other is compensating for his, or her, inadequecies. Wow, i cannot spell that, maybe i should get a gun and start running around with it telling everyone how great i am because i purchased something.

This is true, a person who buys a gun to compensate is perfectly capable of acting in a safe manner with it, though that becomes less likely because bragging and showing off is often done in an unsafe manner. The guntard obviously does not behave in a safe manner.

I understand that these ideas may cause some to feel negatively about their behavior, but it is the truth of the matter. I am quite sure these guys who kill their kids feel insulted when you tell them they are a guntard, but they are. You have to call the **** out and not let some idiot just keep acting dangerously around you because it might hurt their feelings when you grab their gun from them, smack them in the back of the head, and send them to the corner like a child until they grow a brain and stop pointing a gun at you when they do not intend or want to shoot you. If it is a choice between taking a bullet accidentally and making an idiot feel like crap I will chose the latter every time. No I am not polite about that sort of thing.

As for the guys compensating for some lacking they have, there is really no good way to put such a thing that does not draw attention to their failings. If you want to jump around with them and pretend they are a great person for buying a gun and none of their other failures matter, that is up to you. I realized a long time ago an idiot who tries to buy their skill with an overpriced weapon is still a squid. Kiss their ass, maybe they will let you play with it for a bit. personally i got better things to do than to ***** foot around some fragile ego who pumps itself up with it's purse. It is also not just guns that do it. You can apply it to overpriced cars, brand whores like itards, and any other dufus who loves status symbols over substance. Honestly, I find no nice way to put that in a politically correct term, so i just say it flat out. This way people know what I am talking about, and most often the people who I am talking about understand i am talking about them. People with confidence who know they are not guntards or compensating for something do not get all defensive because they understand where i am coming from. They have seen it.

Well there went the slightly more favorable opinion of you I almost developed in another thread, *poof*. There's a word for someone who just wants to hurl egregious insults from the safety of the Interwebz.

Well there went the slightly more favorable opinion of you I almost developed in another thread, *poof*. There's a word for someone who just wants to hurl egregious insults from the safety of the Interwebz.

i will let you know when i am here for your approval and positive opinion. Do you have something to say on the topic?

He is baiting, trolling, and trying to start trouble.

i will let you know when i am here for your approval and positive opinion. Do you have something to say on the topic?

I have nothing more to say to you. I may have something to say on this topic, but you're made it clear what you're here for, and I'm not interested in feeding you any more straight lines. You're not here to discuss or debate, merely to fling insults .... those who are always on with this "you're compensating" crap are just projecting their own inadequacies onto others.

Last edited:

While protesting the Syrian intervention and open carrying three AR-15 rifles, members of the group noticed a law enforcement officer headed towards them.

“We saw the OC Sheriff car pull up so we all took out our camera-phones right away, anticipating trouble,” the video description reads. “This officer gets out of his car, waves to us, and walks right over.”

“Are you guys out here scaring the general public again?” Deputy Paul Buell jokes as he approaches the group. “This is what I call dedication to the cause, out here in the rain.”

Deputy Buell calmly and casually strikes up a conversation with the group, asking about their Ron Paul sign, Rand Paul’s shot at the presidency and even the NRA, immediately setting a positive tone for the encounter.

“I’m out to catch bad guys, not people that are exercising their constitutional rights,” Buell says as cars honk in support of the group.

Buell goes on to inform the group as to why he came out, explaining that some of the public is uneducated on the issue of guns and gun rights due to the media.

“You guys don’t intend on scaring anybody, you intend on educating people,” Buell says.

Read more: Video: Open Carry Activists Shocked To Encounter Constitutional Sheriff

While it's great that the cop wasn't an idiot I'm not a big fan of open carry folks lugging AR's and AK's around. I understand that the visibility can give you the opportunity to explain your position but it's just not necessary. Signs can accomplish the same thing. I would much rather see these groups REALLY try to educate. Why not just set up a table with a few different firearms and explain the differences to those who are curious?

This damn near brings tears to my eyes. There is hope yet for the Constitution.

1234351_585869884801834_647619659_n.jpg

While it's great that the cop wasn't an idiot I'm not a big fan of open carry folks lugging AR's and AK's around. I understand that the visibility can give you the opportunity to explain your position but it's just not necessary. Signs can accomplish the same thing. I would much rather see these groups REALLY try to educate. Why not just set up a table with a few different firearms and explain the differences to those who are curious?

Ok, sure.

Back
Top Bottom