• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Video going around

Anagram

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
I've seen this video going around on Facebook for a couple days, a lot of people sharing it. I think it touches on some of the discussions that have been had here pretty regularly. From what I've seen from people on DP I suspect some people agree strongly agree with this while others vehemently disagree. Honestly, I'm conflicted.

Something Every Teacher Should Watch. And Student. And Person.

Discuss.

Totally agree. I think about this periodically and my answer is always the same. If I had 100 million in the bank I'd still be an engineer, just the way I'd be doing it would change. I'd rather be an Elon Musk, able to take any of my ideas to fruition.

I think people should spent their precious flowing away time of their existence by doing things that are meaningful to them (i.e., things they want). I agree that money should be taken away from the equation and should not be as imposing but the fact of the matter is that with today's capitalism it is imposing. Going after money pushes one to be miserable with a meaningless life, while going after the meaningful life one takes risk not to end up living in miserable conditions (e.g., beggars, living in street corners, etc). The risk is greater if others depend on you.

A utopian view is a wonderful thing to have, but in practice can be very limiting.

If all you want is to do things that make you happy, and that does not include positively effecting others lives, then do as the video tells you. If on the other hand, your idea of going that makes you happy includes having a positive impact on others, then in the greatest majority of cases, you need money. The only exceptions to this would be through the arts, where you can be as poor as a missing dog, and still create writings, drawings, music or other forms of art that can have a positive influence on others.

Back
Top Bottom