• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Video games and their effect on kid's intellignece, health etc.

liberal1

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
I think (as a kid) that video games are becoming a problem. I have some friends that spend 4-6 hours a day on playing video games. I normally spend 2-3 hours total a day on the internet and TV. :comp: :twisted:

Nothing wrong with that. I've pulled a good 16 hr straight video game fest (if not longer) It was fun!

only 4-6 hours:eek: when i am at school the weekends in the dorm turned into a video game fest from friday after school till monday morning with a few short naps in between

Doesn't a lot depend on what you are doing in those games; what you are watching on TV or the Inet? Stuff like Myst, Exile, and Everquest have redeeming features; stuff where you are simply blasting thingies until you are in a stupor is something else. Even at best, though, these games prevent exploring things that might turn out to be more fascinating or (the horror of it all!) useful.

"Hi, my name is KBeta, and I'm a game addict."

I have WASTED so much time on computer/video games it makes me sick. The time you fritter away is the biggest problem, IMHO. I'm sure my gaming binges haven't help my waistline either. The alleged benefit of honing problem solving skills is vastly over rated.

I'm in recovery now, and I'm gonna preach the evils of them to my son when he gets old enough.

Don't even try KBeta. He'll play video games no matter how much you tell him its bad.

Video games are fun. So what if you waste time? That's the idea.

BTW, someone commented favorably about WoW. I browsed around their website for a bit to check it out. It seems to be almost the same as EverQuest, except that it's nowhere near as good. And it costs more to subscribe. Even though I am seriously annoyed with Sony, I'd recommend EQ.

Videogames are no different than TV for all the same reasons.

The only difference is videogames actually require thought and action! Plus they give your thumbs a workout! :D

World of Warcraft OWNZ! Buy it immediately! Play with vague and I! (Server: Gilneas Character name : Hammertime)

Word! :p

heyjoeo said:
World of Warcraft OWNZ! Buy it immediately! Play with vague and I! (Server: Gilneas Character name : Hammertime)

Word! :p
Hmmm...... I don't want to rain on your parade but I feel sorry you wasted $50.

Not to mention another $15 every month.

Good luck hitting level cap! However, once you do there'll be nothing left and it only takes a short while......

Sorry for those interested.. but the game (WoW) is sold out. There are no more on the shelves. It will be awhile before they are restocked.

BTW, someone commented favorably about WoW. I browsed around their website for a bit to check it out. It seems to be almost the same as EverQuest, except that it's nowhere near as good. And it costs more to subscribe. Even though I am seriously annoyed with Sony, I'd recommend EQ

As an adict, I love online gaming. I have played UO, EQ, DAoC, Star Wars Galaxies, a few 'freebies', and now "World of Warcraft". WoW, by far is the best game that I have ever played. Next to Bards Tale (old Commodore 64 game - not the new XBOX one), this has to be an all time greatest hits in my gaming career. The graphics, play style, and all around events in the game are excellent. This is a game that will be hard to out due.

Server: Blackhand
Character: Mirn

Hmmm...... I don't want to rain on your parade but I feel sorry you wasted $50.

Not to mention another $15 every month.

Good luck hitting level cap! However, once you do there'll be nothing left and it only takes a short while......

Must be a pretty easy game, then. I worked a year and a half getting my mage to level 65. And then they increased the cap to 70! :eek:

Kenneth T. Cornelius said:
Must be a pretty easy game, then. I worked a year and a half getting my mage to level 65. And then they increased the cap to 70! :eek:
What game are you talking about? :confused:
WoW hasn't been out for a year and half, and the cap is 60...

This is totally off the subject, but in a neighboring state, Gov. Matt Blunt of Missouri, wants to outlaw all video games in prisons.
It seems video games are a big deal in prisons?
Governor Blunt believes that violent video games where one can waste cops and blow things up are not conducive to rehabilitation. LOL!
Since it's difficult to determine what exactly qualifies as "violent," all video games will be banned in prisons.
Gov. Blunt does not believe prisons should be video arcade rooms.
I think he's a Republican, but I tend to agree with him on this one.

:eek: I don't see how so many things are outlawed upon speculation!!!
Hmm..... uhh..... we think violent videogames make people like violence....
Let's make it illegal and further our control over the people!

I prefer laws created upon well known facts, not speculations made by people.

Hoot said:
This is totally off the subject, but in a neighboring state, Gov. Matt Blunt of Missouri, wants to outlaw all video games in prisons.
Governor Blunt believes that violent video games where one can waste cops and blow things up are not conducive to rehabilitation. LOL!
Since it's difficult to determine what exactly qualifies as "violent," all video games will be banned in prisons.

I can't argue with this one... I like this idea.

Gabo said:
What game are you talking about? :confused:
WoW hasn't been out for a year and half, and the cap is 60...

EverQuest. WoW has its enthusiastic adherents here, I see. I was simply commenting that it seems to be a lot easier than EQ and considerable less realistic. :cool:

Hoot said:

Prisons are really great places to rehabilitate people, aren't they? :rolleyes: The good Guv is a grandstanding hypocrite.

Kenneth T. Cornelius said:
EverQuest. WoW has its enthusiastic adherents here, I see. I was simply commenting that it seems to be a lot easier than EQ and considerable less realistic. :cool:

Yep - it's alot easier and alot more fun. There is no such thing as 'camping'. There is no such thing as waiting for 8+ hours (or even a week) for a certian moster to spawn. Oh, and it's 10x more realistic in its effects and play. Grouping is unique as they are needed but not neccesary to have a good gaming experience. Anyone can play a character, but it takes skill to play the character well. The days of click attack - wait - loot ... are over. This game requires one to participate in every adventure. One quest I had was a 10 page book that had to be studied before being asked questions about it. It was tuff as deductive reasoning had to be applied - the answer was not specifically written in the book. Later, after figuring it out, I went to one of the famous webpages for quests. My answer was not there, had I used the answer they had - I would have had to start over.

Has it been mentioned that it has already outsold EQ? There was a press release a few weeks ago that said they had 200,000 people on at one time. Shattering the record.
http://www.blizzard.com/press/011005.shtml

vauge said:
Yep - it's alot easier and alot more fun. There is no such thing as 'camping'. There is no such thing as waiting for 8+ hours (or even a week) for a certian moster to spawn. Oh, and it's 10x more realistic in its effects and play. Grouping is unique as they are needed but not neccesary to have a good gaming experience. Anyone can play a character, but it takes skill to play the character well. The days of click attack - wait - loot ... are over. This game requires one to participate in every adventure. One quest I had was a 10 page book that had to be studied before being asked questions about it. It was tuff as deductive reasoning had to be applied - the answer was not specifically written in the book. Later, after figuring it out, I went to one of the famous webpages for quests. My answer was not there, had I used the answer they had - I would have had to start over.

I think I'll have a look. Blackhand, Mirn, huh? If I get there, I'll be Yuedyen.

thers nothing wrong whith video games , i love eq , and ye i am an addict. its all good clean fun, ther are people that take it to fare some times, but hay thats ther problem. :monkey

I love to play video games, and I'm no worse for it. Some games shouldn't be available for little children, but other than that I see no danger in them.

BTW, get the new Punisher game. It's awesome.

Gabo said:
Videogames are no different than TV for all the same reasons.

The only difference is videogames actually require thought and action! Plus they give your thumbs a workout! :D

It's more than a thumb workout my friend. It is proven that gamers have better hand eye coordination.

Back
Top Bottom