• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

video games and the government

Just because someone plays: Grand Theft Auto, Counter Strike, Halo, Unreal Tournament, Turok (Very gorish game), 007, etc... Doesn't make them a killer. KNOW ANY GAMERS! If anyone ever said they killled someone in real life because they could do it on a game, then its a sorry excuse for them to not take responsebility for their actions. And if anyone defends them, then you deserve what comes to you! :doh

If violent video games and exposure to violence lessen a person's violent nature, than why do people become even more violent after living in violent neighborhoods and after seeing war?

I love video games just as much as anyone, don't get me wrong; I just don't buy the theory that they make people less violent.

George_Washington said:
If violent video games and exposure to violence lessen a person's violent nature, than why do people become even more violent after living in violent neighborhoods and after seeing war?

I love video games just as much as anyone, don't get me wrong; I just don't buy the theory that they make people less violent.
Many rappers live in violent neiborhoods, and just because they live their doesn't make them voilent. Jay-z one of the greatest rappers ever, sold crack, and now he owns his own record label. Doesn't make him a violent person. I NEVER SAID VIDEO GAMES MADE PEOPLE LESS VIOLENT. But I do find it interesting on how you said it unprovoked? :confused:

George_Washington said:

I don't think those situations are the same thing.

If you live in a violent neighborhood, you're exposed to lots of real violence every day and you might grow up feeling that you have to be violent to getting ahead in the world.

Holding a video game controller and shooting an animated character is not the same thing (at least not yet, although the games are becoming more and more realistic). Most people are very aware that they aren't actually killing people when they play video games. Also, you don't have to play the video game if you don't want to, but you most likely can't easily escape a violent neighborhood if that's where your family lives.

I think he was talking to me about the thread-starting post, people.

Anyway, I never said that video games make people "less violent." I said they give the violent people a way to take out their violent ways without causing harm to anybody.

dstebbins said:
I think he was talking to me about the thread-starting post, people.

Anyway, I never said that video games make people "less violent." I said they give the violent people a way to take out their violent ways without causing harm to anybody.
Very good conclusion. Also to add, some people play video games just to escape from reality. Like a mini vacation, or a lazer tag tournament.

Back
Top Bottom