• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Video Editing

PoS

Minister of Love
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
OK, now that I have some success in the literary world, I've been thinking about expanding my PoS media empire to include Youtube videos as well. I bought a cheap action cam, a better headset and mic. Then I took some footage of me eating food and stuff, and...

Wow, I didn't realize that this thing is a lot of work. I thought I could just take the footage and upload it, but actually making a coherent vid is not easy, even though the content creators you see on YT makes this stuff look like a piece of cake.

So I downloaded a free editor called Shotcut, but it's taking me a long time to figure out how everything works. I wonder whether I ought to put more time into this, or should I just outsource the editing process and pay someone to do it? There's lots of third world people who'll do editing for a few bucks. I admit the latter will be a short-term solution, because if I'm in it for the longhaul, I'll need to learn these skills, but right now its taking a lot of my time, when I know I can be productive for other things that I am good at.

What do you think?

OK, now that I have some success in the literary world, I've been thinking about expanding my PoS media empire to include Youtube videos as well. I bought a cheap action cam, a better headset and mic. Then I took some footage of me eating food and stuff, and...

Wow, I didn't realize that this thing is a lot of work. I thought I could just take the footage and upload it, but actually making a coherent vid is not easy, even though the content creators you see on YT makes this stuff look like a piece of cake.

So I downloaded a free editor called Shotcut, but it's taking me a long time to figure out how everything works. I wonder whether I ought to put more time into this, or should I just outsource the editing process and pay someone to do it? There's lots of third world people who'll do editing for a few bucks. I admit the latter will be a short-term solution, because if I'm in it for the longhaul, I'll need to learn these skills, but right now its taking a lot of my time, when I know I can be productive for other things that I am good at.

What do you think?
When I was still working we used Adobe, Final Cut etc. Editing is an art and I had one of the best in the industry as he was from Brooks Institute. My lead videographer and photographer was a USC film school grad. Top notch folks.

You do get what you pay for.

Reactions: PoS
Been there, done that, and got the t-shirt.

I spent a lot of time learning the free stuff before deciding my time had more value. I bit the bullet and spent money on Adobe. When I completed a quality video on the same day I installed the Adobe software, came to a conclusion. It was clear to me that making videos is a much better use of time, than learning to use video software.

I haven't used any other consumer editing software, but I can vouch for Adobe being both powerful and easy.

My understanding is the Adobe video editing is a subscription at about $20 a month.

I've used TechSmith's Camtasia ($300 one time license) to create some work related video's for distribution via our YouTube account.

Long term with Adobe, the cost will be higher, but can be less of an investment to play around with. Camtasia is a higher up front, but reduced cost long term after a 30-day free trial.

(I'm not a video person and if I can figure out Camtasia - it has to be pretty easy. Heck, there are even YouTube instructional videos. LOL)

WW

Adobe can be purchased outright or as a subscription. The advantage of a subscription is that your software is always at the latest version. That is not enough of an advantage for me, I just pay the one-time licenses and upgrade a few years down the road if I feel like it.

But in either case, I think we agree that making a purchase for something that is simple to use, yet powerful, is a better option than the free stuff.

Well, even the free editors have YT instruction vids, so Ill figure it out eventually lol.

But I just dont see the value of paying $20 a month for an editor app if there's a free version that has the same bells and whistles. My issue is the time to figure out how to learn it, as opposed to just paying someone to edit them.

Cut your teeth on the free shit just to get a sense for how powerful editing software works, then spend money when you think you know what you're doing and know how to utilize the power that good software has.

Back
Top Bottom