• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

video chat debates

Checkerboard Strangler

Make Video Horizontal Again
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
A few months ago I heard something about Saturday morning Zoom calls between DP-ers and I am very interested.
With all the fancy gizmos I have, I could co-host or host one of these or just be a participant with some fun tools.

I think there are some fascinating individuals here and it might be fun. We could even keep it to casual debates on light issues, whatever keeps things running smoothly.
I like the social aspect of this as much as the political.

I'd certainly be interested! I haven't heard of that.

A few months ago I heard something about Saturday morning Zoom calls between DP-ers and I am very interested.
With all the fancy gizmos I have, I could co-host or host one of these or just be a participant with some fun tools.

I think there are some fascinating individuals here and it might be fun. We could even keep it to casual debates on light issues, whatever keeps things running smoothly.
I like the social aspect of this as much as the political.
I'd have to get dressed for that though. I have ruined one of these 'zoom; calls before, by walking past one that I was not invited to, to take a shower.

We've used Jitsi in the past, attempting some games and a meet the staff night, but there wasn't enough interest to continue. I believe one person that wasn't a mod or DM showed up for the meet the staff night.

I'd have to get dressed for that though. I have ruined one of these 'zoom; calls before, by walking past one that I was not invited to, to take a shower.
lol...my thoughts exactly...😊

Last time we did audio only. There was also the option for people to chat box only if they don't want audio.
How did it go? I've found that they can be messy because of stepping on each other's toes. You might not believe it, but I avoid interrupting whenever others are talking. So I usually never got a word in edgewise.

made me think of the tubin(sp?) incident with CNN.

made me think of the tubin(sp?) incident with CNN.
LOl, It should. Not one of the most important of impacts of this pandemic, but more than one 'Zoom' meeting from home has had the shock of an unintended 'walk by'

I would lean more to casual hangout anyway.
A couple of friends and I do it anyway, just us three and it can be pretty funny, so it's really just entertainment.
We do bring up politics but since we're friends, disagreements are civil too, worst it gets is friendly poke in the eye sort of stuff.

Since all three of us like to be cutups, the conversation might start off political but it can sometimes switch to whatever funny stuff we saw recently, or music related, or even motorhead stuff.

How did it go? I've found that they can be messy because of stepping on each other's toes. You might not believe it, but I avoid interrupting whenever others are talking. So I usually never got a word in edgewise.
It was fine during a game where there were turns, but free voice chat is pretty confusing. I had trouble putting more than 5 voices to names.

It was fine during a game where there were turns, but free voice chat is pretty confusing. I had trouble putting more than 5 voices to names.
With more than two people you want something where you can see profiles light up when people are talking to help keep track. That helps a lot.

Might be fun. We'd have to plan it when people are able to..Work and such.
Maybe we should have a poll on the day and time when people are free to talk?
We should do a poll. I feel like Saturday afternoons would be a good time for most people.

Before the war, I decided to try to communicate in chatroulette.
Yes, I know that they are mostly looking for relationships there. But I wanted to talk to the political agenda.
In the CIS, it mostly worked out... But when I turned on the USA:
1) A lot of Malaysians apparently use VPN and surprisingly, most of them know both English and Russian. Very positive and friendly.
2) A lot of truckers.
3) A monstrous number of masturbating white men - what's wrong with you? What kind of disorder is this?
It is because of the latter that I will no longer go to the US server.

What if it was a debate event, sponsored by DP? Hear me out.
Several rounds of 2 volunteers with differing opinions debating, and QA from the "watchers" With a poll after on who "won the debate?"
That might be a fun an interesting way to fold video chat debate in, make it something interesting, and get engagement. Just a thought and a one cuppa coffee thought needs fleshing out I think...
Also only two speakers would keep the cacophony of noise to a minumum.

Back
Top Bottom