• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Video captures attacker shooting, robbing 71-year-old man watering his lawn

Celebrity

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Another victim in Chicago was watering his lawn before getting robbed and shot.
The robber appears to fire at the man as he falls to the ground, then goes through his pockets before getting back on the bike and riding off. The victim gets up and starts walking to his home, then goes to a neighbor's home while holding his abdomen. He later was taken by good Samaritans to a hospital where he underwent surgery, said neighbor and 69/70 Calfair Block Club President Loisteen Walker. Walker on Wednesday said her neighbor, whose name has not been released by authorities, was in stable condition.

How can we put an end to gun violence? I guess that's just treating the symptom, but it's not a cure. Even if that man was carrying $200, it would still be less expensive than the surgery.

It's been said in the past that war creates jobs. Well if there's war in the streets of Chiraq, then I think the healthcare system is getting another long-term customer. He might be stable now, but just think of what a bullet wound could do to the body of a senior citizen. It's not pretty.

Theft is not a sustainable model for business, and it's bad for society. But not all thieves rob if it's a matter of life and death, some make a career out of it. Is the justice system doing it's job? We prosecute tons of non-violent offenders, yet a career criminal's first priority is to not get caught. Otherwise, she or he wouldn't have a career. When you have teams of people competing with each other, people of different ages and creeds and so on, it's natural in the great 'melting pot.' I don't know what motivated this individual to go so far as to kill, maybe it's because he is unwell. Maybe his partner is also unwell. Maybe not. But gun control and the prison industrial complex only seem to be exacerbating the problem.
Askew said, in reviewing the video, it’s clear the shooter came by the area about 30 minutes earlier. He was alone then; he later returned with a second bicyclist.

“For some kids to do this ... I don’t know how old they was but they look like teenagers. It's a damn shame," Askew said.

“It's just a gamble that they get a few dollars; your life isn’t worth more than a few dollars to them,” he said. “The most you looking at getting is 10, 20 dollars, something like that, and you don’t value a human life more than that?”

ct-man-shot-marquette-park-video-20160907

Source:
Video captures attacker shooting, robbing 71-year-old man watering his lawn - Chicago Tribune

How can we put an end to gun violence? I guess that's just treating the symptom, but it's not a cure. Even if that man was carrying $200, it would still be less expensive than the surgery.

It's been said in the past that war creates jobs. Well if there's war in the streets of Chiraq, then I think the healthcare system is getting another long-term customer. He might be stable now, but just think of what a bullet wound could do to the body of a senior citizen. It's not pretty.

Theft is not a sustainable model for business, and it's bad for society. But not all thieves rob if it's a matter of life and death, some make a career out of it. Is the justice system doing it's job? We prosecute tons of non-violent offenders, yet a career criminal's first priority is to not get caught. Otherwise, she or he wouldn't have a career. When you have teams of people competing with each other, people of different ages and creeds and so on, it's natural in the great 'melting pot.' I don't know what motivated this individual to go so far as to kill, maybe it's because he is unwell. Maybe his partner is also unwell. Maybe not. But gun control and the prison industrial complex only seem to be exacerbating the problem.

Source:
Video captures attacker shooting, robbing 71-year-old man watering his lawn - Chicago Tribune

First - it isn't "gun violence." It's criminal violence which is part of a culture that accepts such criminal violence and makes excuses for it by blaming everything and everyone else other than those that actually do the criminal violence as well as those that enable the criminal violence.

It's a culture problem, not a gun problem. Blaming guns for the level of violence seen this year in Chicago is an intentional and shameful misdirection to cover up and hide the real root cause - the culture of criminal violence.

There is something fundamentally wrong with with people who place so low a value on Human life.
People will try to blame the lack of opportunity, and such, but actions seem to lack a basic sense of right and wrong.

First - it isn't "gun violence." It's criminal violence which is part of a culture that accepts such criminal violence and makes excuses for it by blaming everything and everyone else other than those that actually do the criminal violence as well as those that enable the criminal violence.

It's a culture problem, not a gun problem. Blaming guns for the level of violence seen this year in Chicago is an intentional and shameful misdirection to cover up and hide the real root cause - the culture of criminal violence.

It is "gun violence." You don't need to sugarcoat it. I know that violence is criminal when it is murder.

Source:

I wonder, if the pain would be less, it the brut had used a hammer, baseball bat or hunting knife.

I wonder, if the pain would be less, it the brut had used a hammer, baseball bat or hunting knife.

It's possible to drown in eight inches of water. What's your point?

Do you really think that we can eradicate violence or lethal force before implementing legislation regarding a weapon which is designed to kill?

It is "gun violence." You don't need to sugarcoat it. I know that violence is criminal when it is murder.

It's violence. Using the name of one of many tools being used is political hyperbole. We don't call drunk driving deaths the result of car violence. Also, violence is criminal under any circumstance, not just murder. As for sugar coating, that's what's being done by blaming guns. Blaming an inanimate object for the actions of the people doing the actions is intentionally giving those people a pass and excuse by letting them off the hook. As if the fact that they had a gun in their hand made them act out where if they didn't they would not have done so. There is no logical or honest way for anyone to make that argument. The guy in the video that robbed the old man made a choice to rob the old man. There are old people being beaten daily by violent criminals that do not have guns and still die from the beating without being shot.

If we're going to have a discussion about criminal violence, then let's have an honest discussion which would preclude blaming the violence on anything or anyone other than the people actually perpetrating the criminal violence and the people enabling them with silence, acceptance, and cultural structures which includes, but is not by any stretch of the imagination limited to, government and political manipulations and a screwed up "legal" system.

It's violence. Using the name of one of many tools being used is political hyperbole. We don't call drunk driving deaths the result of car violence.
But we would call it vehicular manslaughter if the car was used as a weapon, instead of a non-fatal accident occurring on or by a road. Guns and cars are not the same, and it's not political hyperbole. We do call it car violence, don't we?

Do you really think that we can eradicate violence or lethal force before implementing legislation regarding a weapon which is designed to kill?

Ok so after we heavily regulate crossbones, spears, swords, and ninja stars how do we change a cultural problem of devaluing human life?

Clearly we need common sense gun control. Because then, the punk on the bike would have no choice but to surrender his gun to police. :roll:

Clearly we need common sense gun control. Because then, the punk on the bike would have no choice but to surrender his gun to police. :roll:
The problem is not the gun or the availability of the gun, but rather the willingness to harm someone for a few bucks.

It's possible to drown in eight inches of water. What's your point?

Oddly enough, you look at that video and see a gun issue. The real issue is that there are people out there so bold, so unafraid of justice or penalty that they would assault a person, rob and shoot him in broad daylight and casually ride off. That they were armed makes things worse, but it is these sorts of people that are the problem, not the weapon they choose.

Ok so after we heavily regulate crossbones, spears, swords, and ninja stars how do we change a cultural problem of devaluing human life?

You think these kids killed a guy for fun, huh? What about starving because most of their family is unemployed?

About the weapons, how many people carry those, compared to the number of gun owners? Gun ownership is more prevalent, and gun training is more prevalent.

There is something fundamentally wrong with with people who place so low a value on Human life.
People will try to blame the lack of opportunity, and such, but actions seem to lack a basic sense of right and wrong.

You won't get much 'opportunity' from a prison cell or the morgue.

You think these kids killed a guy for fun, huh? What about starving because most of their family is unemployed?

About the weapons, how many people carry those, compared to the number of gun owners? Gun ownership is more prevalent, and gun training is more prevalent.

I do not think the victim died!
From the original story.
The victim gets up and starts walking to his home, then goes to a neighbor's home while holding his abdomen. He later was taken by good Samaritans to a hospital where he underwent surgery, said neighbor and 69/70 Calfair Block Club President Loisteen Walker. Walker on Wednesday said her neighbor, whose name has not been released by authorities, was in stable condition.

I have been to, and served considerable time, in 5-6 countries where human life wasn't valued like it was here.

I am beginning to see little difference now between America and those same crap holes that I detested in the military.

You won't get much 'opportunity' from a prison cell or the morgue.
Which clearly weighs against the hoodlums decision tree!

I have been to, and served considerable time, in 5-6 countries where human life wasn't valued like it was here.

I am beginning to see little difference now between America and those same crap holes that I detested in the military.
Lets hope we can regain our footing, because without a broad sense of right and wrong,
our society is heading to a dark place.

Guns are easily attainable, and always will be. Brain cells however seem to be in short supply in cities like Chicago. We need to find a way to increase the brain cells of people who think that shooting an old man for some pocket change is a good idea.

The problem is not the gun or the availability of the gun, but rather the willingness to harm someone for a few bucks.

I know, I was being sarcastic.

Honestly, I don't know what people expect when you perpetuate a culture of death. :shrug:

I do not think the victim died!
From the original story.

My mistake, you are correct. I guess these kids didn't kill a guy for fun. They probably just wounded him in a mugging.

Exactly. From whatever rock this punk, this thug, crawled out from under, whatever values he learned there as being acceptable, that's the root cause of the problem.

But we would call it vehicular manslaughter if the car was used as a weapon, instead of a non-fatal accident occurring on or by a road. Guns and cars are not the same, and it's not political hyperbole. We do call it car violence, don't we?

No, we don't.

More feral youth caught on tape.

Was it systemic racism that caused the kid to figure that was acceptable behavior? Was it poverty/ Lack of education? Racist cops? Donald Trump?

Nope.

The kid did that because he felt he was entitled to the old guys property and life.

I blame the criminal as well as the supplier that passed the weapon to the shooter that in all probability bought the gun legally from a shop with a record of selling weapons to straw purchasers.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom