• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Video: Cali is now a war zone

PoS

Minister of Love
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian

When I became an expat over 20 years ago, I sometimes check out videos of my home state. Wow, it's turned to complete crap, and comparable to the third world ghettos I see in my travels. Sad! WTF happened? :oops:

A US city is being bombed by enemy jets and artillery?
Wow, you guys really are laid back about that sort of thing, I'd have thought you'd at least get slightly upset about it and say something at the UN.

Do you all hate the place so much that you don't care if it gets bombed and invaded?

A US city is being bombed by enemy jets and artillery?
Wow, you guys really are laid back about that sort of thing, I'd have thought you'd at least get slightly upset about it and say something at the UN.

Do you all hate the place so much that you don't care if it gets bombed and invaded?
Why build it up if it's just going to get bombed?

Detroit, now Cali.

Reactions: PoS

When I became an expat over 20 years ago, I sometimes check out videos of my home state. Wow, it's turned to complete crap, and comparable to the third world ghettos I see in my travels. Sad! WTF happened? :oops:

This Cali?
bay-area-uc-davis-very-close.jpg

Over 400$ a square foot!

Not bad for a "third world ghetto."

On a side note, with the collapse of the Soviet Union, there is no such thing as a first, second, or third world any longer. Just a heads up.

Why build it up if it's just going to get bombed?

Detroit, now Cali.

I just thought you might be a tad more upset is all.
Who knew you could stealth invade the US and the main problem you guys would have in mounting a defence is apathy and self loathing?

"Oh, it's only California, they can have that dump!".

In recent years it's been due to the great work of Gavin Newsome. He's a great liberal leader.

Reactions: PoS

California is a third world country with a $3.2 trillion economy, bigger than Germany's? LOL

You wanna see slums start with West Virginia.

Frisco rivals London when it comes to property values.

Maybe, I'm just finding the idea that any US city could be described as a "War zone" with a straight face amusing

Either these people do not know how terrible war zones are or they honestly think US cities are like horror films where gang bangers run the streets and crime is done openly and everywhere.

No US city is a war zone, yes you may have a few crime hotspots but that's lightyears away from people huddling in basements as air raid sirens are blown and the odd tank rolls down the street to be met with a hail of Molotov cocktails from desperate defenders in buildings.

The Democrat Party is what happened.

Maybe, I'm just finding the idea that any US city could be described as a "War zone" with a straight face amusing

Either these people do not know how terrible war zones are or they honestly think US cities are like horror films where gang bangers run the streets and crime is done openly and everywhere.

No US city is a war zone, yes you may have a few crime hotspots but that's lightyears away from people huddling in basements as air raid sirens are blown and the odd tank rolls down the street to be met with a hail of Molotov cocktails from desperate defenders in buildings.

It's just rhetorical flair.

Although there is a certain comical element when purported conservatives complain about the inevitable results of a capitalist system.

If anyone wants things less absurdly dramatic this is a thread about an actual warzone that, believe it or not, has an actual war going on in it:

terrible. look at all that garbage. And we send aid to a country like Ukraine which has simply had cities leveled by artillery. 🤡

I was in SF last week. It is still the wonderful world class city that it has always been.

Yes there is some crime and homelessness........just like there is in every other sizable town and city.

If you knew anything about California you would know that the conservative parts are far worse off then the liberal parts.

Worse by two to three times.

And.....

Need more proof?

I was in SF last week. It is still the wonderful world class city that it has always been.

Yes there is some crime and homelessness........just like there is in every other sizable town and city.

If you knew anything about California you would know that the conservative parts are far worse off then the liberal parts.

And.....

Need more proof?

I think our friend McCarthy represents Kern County. Or he did before the latest gerrymander.

I think our friend McCarthy represents Kern County. Or he did before the latest gerrymander.
He does.

Take Bakersfield, a safe Republican district in California’s Central Valley and the birthplace of Republican Leader Kevin McCarthy, who has represented a broad swath of the city in Congress since 2006. Bakersfield is one of the most reliably red districts in the country’s bluest state. It has voted Republican in every election in the 21st Century. In 2020, in a state in which the number of registered Democrats is nearly double that of Republicans, Trump won the city by 10 points. So it’s a bit surprising to learn that on a per capita basis, controlling for differences in population size, the homicide rate in Bakersfield in 2020 was more than double that of Speaker Pelosi’s San Francisco.

And.....

Need more proof?
Um... I'm not as ignorant about California as you assume.
I've lived in California and visited it many times.
I spent a year in Vallejo attending school in the Navy.
Bought my first car in California and put nearly 20,000 miles on it in that year, traveling everywhere I could
Wife and I lived in Sacramento for a year and a half.
I traveled most of the northern part of the state in my job while there.
We've vacationed there several times, including on our honeymoon.
I've relatives in Southern California, friends in the LA area, Bay area and places in between.
I've traveled Highway 1 probably 4 times, I've visited practically every major park in the state.

What you're saying is nothing that can't be said of any other state in the union - you can cherry pick this city, that county, this region, or that and do precisely the same thing you're attempting here.
But none of that flies, and do you know why?

Because such whataboutism is poor, faulty logic and doesn't address the reality of the actual claim being made by the OP, or myself for that matter.

California HAS changed, and changed radically, and that for the worse. No amount of denial can change that.

London during the Blitz would have been ecstatic to just be a mere crime hotspot.
You are quite wrong. I was there.

The vast majority of Londoners in WWII were proud of their city and proud of themselves. We saw ourselves as fighting in the front line against evil and as honourable, decent people.

California HAS changed, and changed radically, and that for the worse. No amount of denial can change that.
I’ve lived in Los Angeles County all my life, and while change has been drastic, it’s not necessarily for the worse . . . unless one is anti-immigrant.

You are quite wrong. I was there.

The vast majority of Londoners in WWII were proud of their city and proud of themselves. We saw ourselves as fighting in the front line against evil and as honourable, decent people.

I don't think you're quite getting my sarchasm.

My point is being a bit of a problem crime hotspot is not the same as being a warzone.

Interesting claim that San Berdo is the most dangerous / crime-ridden city in California - that honor usually goes to Bakersfield. Kevin McCarthy territory.

Back
Top Bottom