• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Victory for opponents of same sex marriage..

Navy Pride

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
I just heard on the news that the Massachusetts Supreme Court has ruled that gay couples from other states will not be allowed to get married there.....This is a significant victory for gay marriage opponents and a defeat for gay marriage proponents.....

As soon as I can find a link on this I will post it.......If someone finds it first feel free to post it..........

Navy Pride said:
I just heard on the news that the Massachusetts Supreme Court has ruled that gay couples from other states will not be allowed to get married there.....This is a significant victory for gay marriage opponents and a defeat for gay marriage proponents.....

As soon as I can find a link on this I will post it.......If someone finds it first feel free to post it..........

Yes, Navy Pride, I saw that on MSNBC today. This kind of ruling is not necessarily ia defeat for gay marriage proponents. Some states allow cousins to get married. Others do not. Arizona does not allow cousins to get married, but let's say California does. If I want to marry my cousin and I go to California to get married, I cannot go back into Arizona and be legally married to my cousin. This is something that does not remotely come as a shock to me, and we know I am a gay marriage proponent.

aps said:
Yes, Navy Pride, I saw that on MSNBC today. This kind of ruling is not necessarily ia defeat for gay marriage proponents. Some states allow cousins to get married. Others do not. Arizona does not allow cousins to get married, but let's say California does. If I want to marry my cousin and I go to California to get married, I cannot go back into Arizona and be legally married to my cousin. This is something that does not remotely come as a shock to me, and we know I am a gay marriage proponent.

I disagree aps...........What a lot of gay couples in other states wanted to do was go to Mass get married there and go back to their home state and test the marriage with the equal protection clause of the 14th amenment throughout the courts even up to the SCOTUS.....That can not happen now.........

Whether your for or against gay marriage you have to admit that is a definite setback.......

Navy Pride said:

doesnt make sense to me. wouldn't any state not recognizing a marriage from another state be violating the constitution?

star2589 said:
doesnt make sense to me. wouldn't any state not recognizing a marriage from another state be violating the constitution?

You don't get it my friend..........By denying same sex couples from other states to marry in Mass. there is no problem..........If your gay and you want to marry in Mass. you stay in Mass. you have to be a resident of that state and you have to live there................

Navy Pride said:
You don't get it my friend..........By denying same sex couples from other states to marry in Mass. there is no problem..........If your gay and you want to marry in Mass. you stay in Mass. you have to be a resident of that state and you have to live there................

I understand that much. I'm asking wouldnt it be unconsitutional for oregon to not recognise a marriage in massachusetts?

star2589 said:

No, because gay marriage is banned in states the gay couples come from, so Massachusetts has to respect the laws of the states of the origins of the gay couples.

Synch said:
No, because gay marriage is banned in states the gay couples come from, so Massachusetts has to respect the laws of the states of the origins of the gay couples.

ok, that makes more sense. so what if a gay couple moved to massachusetts, became residents, got married, and then moved to a state where gay marriage was banned? would that state be forced to recognize the marriage then?

look here's the deal I'm not totally oposed to gay marriage but the thing is if we make it legal for one sort of non procreative marriage we have to make it open for everyone like polygamists, because if we didn't it would be discrimanation, now really it's not discrimanatory, marriage benefits come specifically because they procreate and add to the society. I think Gays who were found stable enough to adopt a child then they should get the same family tax incentives as hederoes, but if they aren't raising children or the polygamists aren't in a monogomous relationship in a traditional unit then I'm against it.

To Clarify, I support gay marriage and adoption if they are found to be the best situation for the child, ie an abnormal family unit is better than the orphanage. I support gay marriage only if they have qualified for and actually have adopted children. To reiterate I prefer a traditional family unit but if that is not possible than anything is better than the orphanage, and the only way gay people should get equal marriage rights is if they equally contribute to society in every way.

star2589 said:
I understand that much. I'm asking wouldnt it be unconsitutional for oregon to not recognise a marriage in massachusetts?

If that happened like I said it would have to be decided by the SCOTUS but it can't happen because the Mass. Supreme Court ruled today that gays from another state like Oregon can not marry in Mass................

star2589 said:
ok, that makes more sense. so what if a gay couple moved to massachusetts, became residents, got married, and then moved to a state where gay marriage was banned? would that state be forced to recognize the marriage then?

Well, if the couple becomes permanent residence, no, because the state has banned all legality of gay marriage within it's borders, however if the couple was traveling, the state would be forced to recognize the marriage, although I can't think of an area or situation where marriage license is needed on travel.

Star has a point, what is preventing determined homosexuals from residing there for the minimum time to obtain residency, have a gay marriage, and then move back to where they came from? This is going to make heterosexual marriages look bad by comparison, because any schmuck can pull a Britney Spears, but it would take a really devoted gay couple to get married under these circumstances.

Back
Top Bottom