• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Victory For McCain

TimmyBoy

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I am glad to see that McCain has scored a victory against Bush. The overwhelming support that McCain enjoyed in Congress assured that any veto by Bush would be over-ridden, forcing Bush to negotiate. Glad to see McCain came out on top:

Bush Accepts McCain's Ban on Torture By LIZ SIDOTI, Associated Press Writer
Fri Dec 16,12:54 AM ET

WASHINGTON - President Bush embraced Sen. John McCain (news, bio, voting record)'s proposal to ban cruel, inhuman and degrading treatment of terrorism suspects on Thursday, reversing months of opposition that included White House veto threats.

Bowing to pressure from the Republican-run Congress and abroad, the White House signed off on the proposal after a fight that pitted the president against members of his own party and threatened to further tarnish a U.S. image already soiled by the abuses at Iraq's Abu Ghraib prison.

Bush said the ban and accompanying interrogation standards will "make it clear to the world that this government does not torture and that we adhere to the international convention of torture, whether it be here at home or abroad."

After months of fierce negotiations, McCain declared "a done deal" that he said shows that the United States "upholds values and standards of behavior and treatment of all people, no matter how evil or bad they are."

"We've sent a message to the world that the United States is not like the terrorists," the Arizona Republican said while appearing alongside the president in the Oval Office to announce the agreement.

The agreement still needs to be approved by Congress, whose GOP leaders hope to adjourn for the year in a few days.

The deal keeps McCain's original proposal, which was overwhelmingly approved by the Senate and endorsed by the House. One of the final stumbling blocks in negotiations was removed when language was added allowing civilian interrogators the same legal protections as those afforded to military interrogators.

Those rules say the accused can defend themselves by arguing it was reasonable for them to believe they were obeying a legal order. The government also would provide counsel for accused interrogators.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051216/ap_on_go_pr_wh/congress_detainees

TimmyBoy said:
I am glad to see that McCain has scored a victory against Bush. The overwhelming support that McCain enjoyed in Congress assured that any veto by Bush would be over-ridden, forcing Bush to negotiate. Glad to see McCain came out on top:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051216/ap_on_go_pr_wh/congress_detainees

HOORAY!
I actually like McCain.... I don't know MUCH about his politics....but he has showed up on the Daily Show a few times, and from what Ive seen there makes him cool in my eyes. If he were running for senate in my state, I'd vote for him.

Back
Top Bottom