• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Victor Davis Hanson: American soldiers leave Germany -- and suddenly Germany is upset

chuckiechan

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Victor Davis Hanson: American soldiers leave Germany -- and suddenly Germany is upset | Fox News

President Trump recently ordered a 12,000-troop reduction in American military personnel stationed in Germany. That leaves about 24,000 American soldiers still in the country.

A little more than half of the troops being withdrawn will return home. The rest will be redeployed to other NATO member nations such as Belgium, Italy, and perhaps Baltic and Eastern European countries.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel is said to be furious. She claims the redeployments will “weaken the (NATO) alliance.” German commercial interests chimed in that the troop withdrawals will hurt their decades-old businesses serving U.S. bases.

Perhaps, but Merkel surely cannot be surprised. Six years ago, all NATO members pledged to spend 2 percent of their GDP on defense. Yet only eight of 29 so far have kept their word.

Germany spends only about 1.4 percent of its GDP on defense. As NATO’s largest, wealthiest and most powerful European member, it sets the example for the rest of alliance.

The US spends a God awful bunch of money, and the aggregate GDP of Europe is on a par with that of the USA. The USA believes Germany likes the US being in Germany, polling shows they do not. Besides the billion dollar pipeline deal with Russia, Germany consistently is in economic surplus with the USA.

In short, they are taking advantage of us and it’s time to make some changes.

Victor Davis Hanson: American soldiers leave Germany -- and suddenly Germany is upset | Fox News

The US spends a God awful bunch of money, and the aggregate GDP of Europe is on a par with that of the USA. The USA believes Germany likes the US being in Germany, polling shows they do not. Besides the billion dollar pipeline deal with Russia, Germany consistently is in economic surplus with the USA.

You contradict your own bull****.

Majority of Germans want USA, so no, Germany is not upset.

Also no, Merkel is not furious. She doesnt even care and has not even commented this.

Also no, Merkel is not furious. She doesnt even care and has not even commented this.

Keep on beating your chest.... A second rate military and a beggar nation as far as NATO is concerned.

Keep on beating your chest.... A second rate military and a beggar nation as far as NATO is concerned.

Its called rational, milk the cattle as long it gives milk. We are in the positive situation that we could reduce defense spending to zero and nothing would change. We could leave NATO and nothing would change, since we have NATO around us.

Its called rational, milk the cattle as long it gives milk. We are in the positive situation that we could reduce defense spending to zero and nothing would change. We could leave NATO and nothing would change, since we have NATO around us.

The mightiest economy in Europe....

Isn't that what you keep saying?

Yet you can't do what the lesser economies do.

Well, won't do.

You depend on others to pay your way.

You do know this move will actually Cost the US Billions, all so trump can punish another world leader.

Well, won't do.

The cattle gets milked as long it gives milk and before it gets slaughterd.

Germany is rich, because it doesnt spend money on bull****.

As i said, we are in a situation that we could even go down to zero and nothing would change

Well, won't do.

Japan did the same thing. Japan has paid very little for it's national defense since WWII.

I think it's believed that neither Japan or Germany can lead in the region because of their history.

In Chinese history classes, when they get to the part about Americans nuking Japan, the students stand up and cheer.

Japan did the same thing. Japan has paid very little for it's national defense since WWII.

I think it's believed that neither Japan or Germany can lead in the region because of their history.

In Chinese history classes, when they get to the part about Americans nuking Japan, the students stand up and cheer.

Japan was also retricted by law on the size and composition of their military while we encouraged Germany to expand.

And I can understand China's reaction....

Japan was also retricted by law on the size and composition of their military while we encouraged Germany to expand.

And I can understand China's reaction....

It appears China has problems with its own medicine. What JApan did in China was modus operandi for China in thousands of years.

As i said, we are in a situation that we could even go down to zero and nothing would change

Defense = Bull****

Got it.

Werent you bragging about your second rate military?

Defense = Bull****

Got it.

Werent you bragging about your second rate military?

Nope, i never bragged about our military. I give a **** about it.

What i bragged about is our defense corporations who produce for export.

You know, selling arms brings €€€€€€€. Buying arms costs €€€€

VDH is a hack.

Wow...

Wasn't I one of many that pointed out to you how far down the food chain you are in defense?

Why yes.... I was.

After you went on about your mighty military and their (less than 50% operational) Leopards.....

So you are challenging his opinion with unfounded statements of your own. VDH has more “reputation points”. Got any back up?

The swamp loves Germany so they can be posted there. It’s a great re enlistment incentive, too: “Sign for six, and we will give you three years in Germany”. Politicians love to junket there.

It that “bull****” include their NATO contribution?

One more reason to pay NATO dues, and one less reason for the USA treat Germany like a welfare state.

VDH is a hack.
Come back when you feel better.

Wow...

Wasn't I one of many that pointed out to you how far down the food chain you are in defense?

Why yes.... I was.

After you went on about your mighty military and their (less than 50% operational) Leopards.....

Actually not.

Germany is Nr 3 in defense Exports. We are big in the industry.

So you are challenging his opinion with unfounded statements of your own. VDH has more “reputation points”. Got any back up?

The swamp loves Germany so they can be posted there. It’s a great re enlistment incentive, too: “Sign for six, and we will give you three years in Germany”. Politicians love to junket there.

It that “bull****” include their NATO contribution?

One more reason to pay NATO dues, and one less reason for the USA treat Germany like a welfare state.

Come back when you feel better.

There are No Nato fees.

The commitment says to pay 2% on defense. Which means Germany would spend 2% on its Military. Only your orange goon thinks thats a Money transfer

You were puffed up about your military (not the exports) until the number of operational aircraft and tanks were brought to your attention....

Facts hurt...

Fact is a German designed rocket took us to the moon.

Saturn (rocket family) - Wikipedia

The Saturn family of American rockets was developed by a team of mostly German rocket scientists led by Wernher von Braun...

why don't you start by removing your occupation forces from Western Europe .... naebidy wants you here

Back
Top Bottom